Register now to get rid of these ads!

Body Mounts - Durometer Hardness

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Large_911, Feb 2, 2009.

1. Large_911

Large_911

I am making some new floor braces for my Olds, and as a result, the stock body mount bushings will not work, nor will the "universal" polyurethane bushings from Energy Suspension (based on very specific dimensions I need).

I will be making my own bushings and I was wondering if anyone knows the typical Durometer hardness on the Shore A scale for the grade of polyurethane used for body mounts? Thanks a lot!

2. ProEnfo

ProEnfo
    from Motown

I just checked 2 GM vehicles & they varied between 40 to 45A depending on the mount..

You might want to check here...many styles available (click on the description for complete dimensions)

http://www.oldcarstuff.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=94

CC

3. I would guess pretty hard, like 80 or 90. About like the rubber in a car tire. You don't want something that's just going to squish out.

4. ProEnfo

ProEnfo
    from Motown

Car tires are 70-75 on the 'A' scale, aftermarket advertised 'stiff' bushings seem to range from 75 to 94 A depending on the manufactures description. The 40-45A measurement I mentioned previously is for a stock rubber bushing.

CC

5. BAM

BAM
    from HB, CA

Definitely 80-95A hardness. Are you planning on making a mold and pouring the parts yourself? If so, do your homework. The material you want is a TDI based prepolymer. Be sure to wear gloves and a mask.
    Brian

6. ja992

ja992
    from Fargo, ND

On Energy suspension's website the universal mounts are 70A for soft bushings and 88A for firm bushings.

Energy Suspension

Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
  7. kustomizingkid

kustomizingkid

I don't really think you can go too hard.... we replaced all the bushing in my friends Caprice with some poly stuff and it improved the feel of the car so much it was crazy....

8. Large_911

Large_911

Everyone -- thank you very much for the info; this is exactly what I was looking for!

ProEnfo -- That is an excellent website, and they have all sorts of various thickness body mounts.

BAM -- McMaster-Carr sells the polyurethane (in different hardnesses) in rods and sheets. I was planning on getting sheets in the thickness I need and cutting w/ a hole saw. I am hoping if I go with a high hardness it should cut OK.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#polyurethane/=fv4f9

Thanks again!

9. Large_911

Large_911

Damn -- as many times as I looked at that webpage in the past I did not see the hardness numbers...lol

I can get this material in a harness of 85A & 90A (of course harder and softer too) -- I think this will work out well.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2009