Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Bob's Big Boy Broiler Opens In Downey!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Cyclone Kevin, Oct 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

^^^^^Your welcome Fabian ;). See you tomorrow

2. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Hey Juicy G, Fabian,Nick,Lisa and Adriene,
    Had a great time hanging "wit youse" at the Huff show in San Berdo and saying 'Yo" to Barris,Winfeild and Huff. Gary and Cindy Chopit looked great! Glad to see Cin, What a sweet lady!

We may have our own little Kustom Kavalcade of Kars this weds at the "World Famous Broiler!" Heard that maybe even Bo may make the scene ;).
    That would pretty sweet-hangin in kustomland!
    Come on down in "whateva ya brung."

3. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

So you bring'n out your new ride Quadrophenia that Chopits Kustoms made for you?

4. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

5. Fabian Chopit

Fabian Chopit
    from SoCal

Kevin, Johhny & Adriene, thanks for coming down to Bo's show, we had a good time!

The show was a good turn out and the art show went pretty well, we were glad to be a part of it!

Seeya at the Broiler!

6. knucks 1930

knucks 1930
    from la habra

no kevin it not one of your car it will alway make it there and back on it own power

7. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

^^^^^Here, FNG knucks 1930. This is how you multi Quote so people can understand better :p;):D
    ^^^^^No capital N on no, no s after it, no s after car and no period. Man I feel good about myself now.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2011
  8. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

9. Roadsterpu

Roadsterpu

So does this mean your purple roadster is back at your house and you are driving it?? Rather than leaving it at Analisa's and letting them drive it?

10. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Paul,
    The purple 34 Roadster hasn't been there in over a year and half. In fact it gets driven almost daily to work by Glen, who lives even further than I from the Broiler ;). Sometimes we trade off for the 64c, The 69 Camaro or anyrhing that we can keep rotating in the mix.
    Proud ta say that the purple 34 has never seen a tow truck yet and it been on the road for many years. All of these cars have their issues at times, but that what keeps you on your toes!
    Brian and I always Raz each other, sometimes about glass vs steel and other times about driving ones cars. That's why he's true to his handle Knucks meaning knuckle head! That's what he is! ;).

11. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

I think I just made one of these moments.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClnSMCdw6E8

12. 64crump

64crump
    from Alta Loma

Here are some shots from tonights Kustom Kavalcade of Kars at the Broiler.

[​IMG]

13. 64crump

64crump
    from Alta Loma

Sorry but the thumbnails are failing on loading, so you have to get the large pictures!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. 64crump

64crump
    from Alta Loma

Bob's November 30, 2011

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Great pics there 64Crump. Not many cars left at the time you took those. Most everyone left because of the winds and dust. But the Chopit Boys made it down thru the thick of it. It was great having dinner and talking with them about Old School guys. Including Lawerence Welk ;):D.

16. 64crump

64crump
    from Alta Loma

Took a while to get out there, and threw my back out putting in the oil just before I left. But I could sit, so I decided to drive out. Nice seeing the Chopit Boys pull up. The Broiler is always a good spot for pictures.

Attached Files:

17. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

64crump,
    Thanx for making it out, lots of cars were there earlier,but when the wind came up, they bailed. I don't blame em. By the time that I got home there was 5 huge trees laying in the street in front of my house and I thought that maybe I should clear a path, about 1am I hear another "CRACK!"

Now a larger one lay out front. I didn't have power until a little while ago but most of my neighbors acted fast an we cleared the road so traffic could get by. Do i feel for the peeps that got their cars crushed!!!!! I'm glad our yard doesn't sport any big trees, cuz that 32 would never have survived a crushing like what we've seen.

I tried training my kittys to row like the guy on TV with the Hamsters in order to generate some electricity,but no doing ;)!

18. 64crump

64crump
    from Alta Loma

Yeah, we lost a pretty good size tree ourselves that night. It was not near any cars though. Were in the foothills in Rancho Cucamonga, but I hear the Pasadena Area was hit really hard. Heard from an electical guy who was sent to the East Coast after their Hurricane, that Pasadena was just as bad. I will try to make the next one a little earlier.

19. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Made a run today to get part's for my Boss's OT car. Lo and behold what do I see on the counter at a BMW dealer. The new Drive magazine. And what's on the cover? The Broiler!!!!!. Looks real cool.

20. JG if ya get a chance save one for me.thanks.....

21. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

^^^^^ You got it. PM me with address

Last edited: Dec 6, 2011
  22. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

JuicyGee,
    Ya better bring a couple of those magz for us down there! Kent, We'll save one and ship it ta ya. Don't forget, Cruise Nite tonite!!!!! Wind,Rain,Sleet or Snow, we'll be there, Oh-Wait a minute, that's the post office-mailmans credo=;).!
    See ya all tonite!

23. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

JG,
    Thx 4 bringing those down and getting the lites on=;). Thx to the couple who is from NZ spending their honeymoon her in the states and checking out the sights.
    Made them a Oreo Malt, they were having a shake, their now converted ;).

24. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

No problem, new Photocontrol will be in for pick up tomorrow. I can't be going up and down the ladder all the time ;)

25. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Bring on out your cars tonite, Weds nites cruise! come support the Broiler and hang with your pals, grab some grub and bench race ;).
    C-ya there JG.

26. T.Neilly

T.Neilly
    from Ca.

I like it back in the 50"s when it was Johnny"s:cool:

Attached Files:

27. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

I hear a History & Spelling lesson coming :D. Take it away Kevin. T.Neilly, joking aside. All of us here that hang at the Broiler have an understanding. What is Today, will never be Yesterday. But we do come together and do are best to keep the Dream alive. This place is here because of a Dream.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
  28. amen!

29. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

I stopped by under cover in the roadster for a bit & this place is real cool and real classic. Harvey's, Johnny's, Bob's, it's a fiedme spot.

30. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

T. Neilly,
    "Back in the 50's" 1957 to be exact The ground was broken on what was once a Chicken Ranch named "Sally's Friars" for the building of a dream that was to become "Harvey's Broiler". Harvey and Minnie Ortner were once partners in the Clock Broiler drive-in restaurant chain.

Once completed in April 1958, Harvey built his drive-in to be a provider for the Clocks as well. His was also a state of the art of what would become known as "Googie" styled coffee shop,drive-in and restaurant. He was very astute as to what his customers wanted, Most of them were young adults.

It was immortalized in the writings of author Tom Wolfe in "Esquire" magazine in the early 60's with an article called "The Hair Boys" chronicling the lengths that guys go to get the dolls. This included attire, grooming and especially what they drove. Harvey's Broiler was and still is "The Place".

We worked very hard to bring all aspects of "The Broilers" incarnations including its current one. "Johnie's" did not come into play until Harvey was asked by Minnie to step down from heading day to day operations and take some time out to enjoy life.

He then leased the restaurant in 1968 to the Johnsons who were building a small chain of restaurants themselves. The lease was broken and the restaurant was returned to Harvey's control. Harvey hired a manager that was the Johnsons former cook and he is known as Christos.

All through the time when you probably cruised "Johnie's" Harvey actually owned the restaurant,Minnie worked the register and Christos ran it for him with his brothers Steve and George. In the late 80's Harvey passed away and Minnie sold the restaurant to Christos.

It continued to run as "Johnie's" till Dec 31,2001 at which time it was closed and leased to a new owner = business only,not land. They decided that it would make a good car lot as well as a restaurant,but one of the partners flaked! So in a real sense "Johnie's" was doomed!

Thus began the Journey of The Friends of "Johnie's Broiler" and later in addition, The Coalition to Save Harvey's Broiler. The rest is recent history and you more than likely know much about it's "Bob's" incarnation

I'm glad that you enjoyed it "Back in the 50's when it was Johnnys", might have been a different place for you. :):D;)

History and spelling lesson given J.G. ;)

Last edited: Dec 16, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.