Register now to get rid of these ads!

"Boattail" Riviera trade for Model A??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TexasHardcore, Nov 19, 2003.

1. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

OK, I was talking to my dad on the phone last night. He and my mom & two little brothers took my Model A with all my parts & motor to the swap meet in Houston 2 weeks ago, didn't sell much, only a few parts. Anyways, i mentioned to him that I was probably going to put it up on eBay, cause I could really use the money right now to help pay for a new (to me) and much needed Dodge Ram 3500 Dually Cummins Turbo Diesel. He said the guy down the street would like to trade my car/parts for his Boat Tail Riviera. My dad said the car is in near mint shape, but the motor got hot and went south just recently. I've seen the car when I've driven by, but never paid much attention to it. The guy has a twin Riviera but Yellow that sits in his garage, the one he wants to trade sits in the driveway.

Anyways, just wondering what years these "boattails" were, if they were worth a shit, what motors they had ( think its a big block) , and if they'd sell quickly.

I'm thinkin it's a 66 or 67, a motor rebuild and i could probably get $5k or so for it. which is $2,000 over my selling price for my C-Dan...

what should i do?

2. Tony

Tony

I could be wrong, but i think the "boat tail" riv's were 71-73.
    i've seen some of them done that were cool, but i can tell you it's not a car that i have heard very many people talk about at all.
    Because of that, i personally don't believe there a 'hot' car..I'm not saying they suck or anything, just not as popular as the earlier ones, and may not bring the money you would like to get.
    I would think you'd be able to off the A-bone faster then the riv..
    just my opp.

good luck,
    Rat..

3. warpigg

warpigg
    from gypsy

rat's right 71 - 73
    but he was wrong about them not being as popular as the earlier models... there are some people (shit house rat crazy people IMHO) that think they are the best years of the rivi line...
    this should help you: http://www.buick-riviera.com/
    i've heard they bring a lot of money over seas...

4. ray

ray
    from colorado

boattail rivs are bitchin. they actually respond well to big wheels, dropped a bit with some 17" americans for a contemporary cruiser.

slam it with bags or juice and run 15" supremes or tru-spokes.

when i live in MN there was a local boattail, had hydros, supremes, two toned turquoise over black. nice cruiser.

you have to remember to keep the boattail riv in the context of early 70s detroit, it didn't get much better.

5. Jkustom

Jkustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

nah man, if you need the money dont take another car, especially one with a fucked motor. Probably easier selling the A bone, too. -J.

6. Sailor

Sailor

In my book, the boattail-Rivi is the last truely cool american car. Dennis Hopper drove one in "Red Rock West". I could easily have one (I can see it with supremes, bagged, cleaned up here and there and a rad paintjob). Last time I saw one for sale over here was just a couple of weeks a go (in Haugesund, Norway). Asking price was abt. $7-8.000, but it was a little so and so looking with painted bumpers and worn interior. Thats more than I would pay for a stocker.

7. Rooster

Rooster

I don't know if I'd go tradin 'my' for basket o'parts for somebody elses. They Have gone up considerably in value in the 4years I've had my Rivi, but a blown 455 would be a hindrance. You got any idea what them things cost to build vs. EveryThing else? Maybe if he offered cash on the deal too? Really, cuz I've got 3 of em now with plans to customize the better extra one. And I traded a derby-car for That One!!! 71's were the best in looks, but 72's had a better motor. 73's Suck! Here's the only pic I can find of mine after I "Mulletized" it!

Attached Files:

8. i think you'd be better off trying to sell the sedan. i have a buddy that has a slick 71 rivi. it's a 2 owner with 80,000 miles. he's been trying to get $3500 and can't even get anyone to look at it. but your area may have a better market for them.

9. hudson_hawk

hudson_hawk

you already have a non-running car that IMO is much more moveable than the rivi. put it on ebay and i bet it goes quick. by the way, want to sell the front end?

10. burger

burger

My Dad is a boattail guy. He was trying to sell a PRIMO one for $4500 when a drunk driver hopped a curb and hit it. He was having trouble selling it for that price with decent paint, REBUILT motor and NEW interior. BTW, it was a GS, which is a big deal to the Rivi guys.

$5000 seems unrealistic.

Keep trying to sell what you've got. If you've got time to dick around with another car, why not dick around with what you've got. "Finished" rat rods sell for a lot more than a Boattail.

Ed

11. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

There's a black GS a few blocks from my house for sale...$3200 I believe is the asking price, and it looks like a clean driver.

Not my bag, but it's been up for grabs a while now and still sittin' there at that price.

You might want to check local listings to see what those cars actually pull in your area. Probably better off selling the A-bone if you don't want it...then apply the cash directly to something you DO want to build, rather than messing with another project your heart's not into.

12. InPrimer

InPrimer

With cash in hand(selling the A) you can buy anything you want not someone else's problems IMHO

13. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

If it's so easy to sell the "A", then how come I still haven't?

14. burger

burger

If you weren't 25+ hours away, I would have at least looked at it.

What I was getting at with my reply is that you're going to have a harder time selling the Rivi, and you could probably make more money finishing your A than with the Rivi.

Ed

15. Rix2Six

Rix2Six
    from So. Cal.

OFF TOPIC POST: Ed... I love your avatar... had me giggling like a school girl!