Register now to get rid of these ads!

Blown Flathead

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rat deuce, Jul 1, 2007.

1. rat deuce

rat deuce

Anyone out there running a flathead with a 6V-53 blower? I have one and have seen pics of a flathead running one. I'd like to get some details from someone who's actually done one....
    Thanks,Steve

2. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I thought the V series of GMC blowers were incredibly hard to use unless they have alot of machine work done. Something about bushings instead of bearings? True or not?

3. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

In all my working on diesels, I don't think I ever had a V-series Detriot apart, so I can't say about the internals. Rebuilt a few 53-series engines & a couple 71-series. One of the machines I worked on was a rock crusher & had twin 8V-96 engines with 4" open exhaust - man that thing was noisy.

...what was the question? ;)

4. Crusty Nut

Crusty Nut

I've not heard that, but it could be true. The main reason is nobody makes manifolds for them, and mainstream hot rod boy is unwilling or able to work around that. I'm running a 4-71 on a homemade manifold, but mounting up a V series isn't a big deal. I say go for it. here is a shot of mine, I've put around 1000 miles on it so far.

Attached Files:

5. TV

TV

I've got a complete set up for a 6-53 blower to fit a flathead, I don't know if thats what your talking about. We had to make the intake manafold off of the flathead and the carb manafold for 4- 97's. The blower itself had to be reworked and a front snout drive made. It was a lot of work, but no other blower fits the flathead and looks as good as the 6-53. Mine is going in my Roadster pick-up when I get it done. If thats the one your talking about I'll post some pics if anyone is interested.--TV

6. rat deuce

rat deuce

Here's the picture I have (hope it shows up) Hell, maybe someone knows the car!

7. Flatman

Flatman

The 6V-71 and 6V92 blowers have bearings. The problem with running a V series blower is that the cases are bolted down with long bolts angled from the sides of the case instead of a flange at the bottom.

Flatman

8. lmurf

lmurf

Just wanted to post this. I will be producing complete "street built" 6v53 blowers this next month being the first ones out. I will be manufacturing billet and cast bearing plates, turning rotor shafts to accept high speed high performance bearings and manufacturing complete snouts. Along with that, three and four carb Stromberg carb flanges. Mainly my focus is on v8 flatheads only.

The blowers will be available first (blower, bearing plate conversion and snout) then manifolds soon to follow, and pulleys complete. This has been an undertaking, but I feel well worth it. Been building blowers for some years now and have built prototypes of the 6v53 plates that were very successful, and still are. Now its production time!

Costs of COMPLETE kits will be announced soon on my site.

www.fordflathead.com

Thanks guys, and check it often.

Lain
    <!-- / message -->

9. lmurf

lmurf

Call me crazy Rat Deuce, but are you referring to the red blower in that image as a 6v53? That is a S.C.o.T. Italmeccanica blower.

Not trying to be an ass or anything.. Hahah!!

The Scot as you know is worth about ohhh several thousands of dollars more than a 6v53.

Lain

10. lmurf

lmurf

TV, do post the image of what you have.. Its always nice to see other 6v53 setups...

On my setups, I have jumped through all the hoops to make these come to life so everyone can finally enjoy a 6v53 on a flathead.

Lain

11. A Chopped Coupe

A Chopped Coupe

Here is a link to a guy up in Oregon that makes the manifold that your V series could fit on..............assuming it's going on a flatmotor.

http://www.austinrodshop.com/Ford_Flathead.html

Lain's work is some of the best you will ever see.............he is the man when it comes to blowers!

Attached Files:

12. TV

TV

I got alittle side tracked and haven't posted any pics, hang on I'll get to it some time today. My engine is all ready to assemble, but I'm holding off till the car is ready.--TV

13. lmurf

lmurf

Thanks "A Chopped Coupe" for the compliment. Yep, right now, were using Kens manifolds as his AB low profile one fits like a bug in a rug on the 6v53... Here is a snap shot (kinda old now) but shows the center case on the "plastic" mock up engine I have...

Just another note...Subliminal message here....Look very closely at the bench in this image...are you looking....Now, look in the June issue of Street Rodder magazine of the Scot blowers.... Notice anything? Hahahah (subliminal message)... Lets see if anyone can put two and two together....

Lain

[​IMG]