Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Blown Budget - 32 Roadster Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Berky, Aug 1, 2011.

1. aojo

aojo

And here I am dithering about ringing my hands about which peddle set to buy, should I grind out some of the old boxing plates in the frame, which steering box to use. etc.. and you simply dive in and get it done and move along.. you have motivated me into action...

2. George G

George G

I had that problem. I moved my rad forward to be enough room to bend the hoses. From what I understand the rad shop built it with a 59 a engine in mind your water pumps are likely from an 8BA engine.

3. Berky

Berky

4. Berky

Berky

The water outlets are as far out as possible on this radiator. I picked up a hose with a very sharp S bend, but I havent checked to see if it will fit.

5. 48SuperConvert

48SuperConvert
    from Seattle

Budgets are put in place to be blown....Great looking project!!!!

6. Berky

Berky

The next step was to figure out the placement of the steering box. Sorry Neal, but these are the best pics I have of the steering placement. I tried to keep the sector shaft housing as short as possible. I should have pushed it out a little further because I only have about ¼” clearance between the box and the headers.

Before I could weld the box in I needed to set up the column drop. I picked up a drop for a Lincoln Zephyr from a fellow HAMBer because it had about a 4” drop which worked out pretty well.
    <O:p
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]<O:p</O:p

7. Berky

Berky

I pulled the body to get the transmission / radius rod mount done. I am not 100% happy with my design so if you have any suggestions I’m all ears. The welding kind of looks crappy because I was using flux core, but i am pretty sure it has good penetration.

I picked up a 7/16 johnny joint to connect the radius rods to and get good articulation. I also pushed the rear of the trans over to give me a bit more room inside the car and hopefully more clearance at the steering box.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]<O:p</O:p

8. Berky

Berky

I made a radius rod out of the old drag link and a mount from some 3/16 steel. I couldn't justify paying over $100 bucks for such a simple part. I later found out that my axle mount was to high and it hits the floor pan after a half inch of travel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. A Real Henry Body...?

Even if it's not it'll be Worth every penny over budget!

10. The37Kid

The37Kid

Nice project! Thanks for all the little details, they are very helpful. Looks like I'll have to get one of those Pierce Arrow dash panels, the fit is perfect. Bob

11. farmer12

farmer12

Great project, awesome work Berky!

12. Nice work. Some neat original parts. love the drilled backing plates !

13. Berky

Berky

I didn't like the height of the stock F1 mounts and the interfered with my headlight mounting so I chopped them about 4".

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Berky

Berky

Its a Brookville body. I am really happy with the quality and panel fitment so far. I will need to get that shitty primer sanded of soon or I will have to start putting in patch panels :D

15. Berky

Berky

I decided to get a short throw shifter with positive stops. I saw a thread about it and it seemed like a good idea. I have a good swan neck shifter that I will mount later. I also set up the E-brake handle. It was pretty tight between the frame rails but it think it will work well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. opu27

opu27
    from ONYX,CALIF

boy do i like your dash panel !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

17. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

About the bottom radiator hoses. I thought I saw a thread on here about somebody who makes cast aluminum "zig-zags" (for lack of a better word) that are meant for just this situation. I'll see if I can find it. (What in the hell do you type in the search box, though?):confused:

18. Berky

Berky

On to the headlight bar. I was torn between two separate mounts or having the cross bar with a V8 emblem. I decided on the cross bar.

I started with a Model A bar and cut the stands off right at the pocket. I then mounted the stands to the frame to check clearance with the grill. I really don't like it when the headlights are out way past the grill, so I heated the bar and twisted the sockets 90 degrees. This would allow the arch of the bar to contour the grill. I think it turned out OK.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Berky

Berky

The last thing I wanted to do before the body went back on was to route the exhaust. i picked up a box of assorted bends on 1 7/8" pipe, but my local exhaust shop only had 2" straight pipe so I had to mix the diameter a little. Routing over the cross member was a PITA, but it worked out. I hope it sounds good when I get it running.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. opu27

opu27
    from ONYX,CALIF

That X member was made as a bolt in X member using 40 pedal assy more than 35 years ago. there were a number of maz articals about it. it sure has been wasted over time. dick

21. Berky

Berky

I wasn't a big fan of that Sharp intake. I wanted something with more height. I have an Edelbrock sling-shot on the 36 and wanted something with the same look. I ended up getting a Tattersfield from that evil auction site that we all use. Much better now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. onekoolkat1950

onekoolkat1950

23. Berky

Berky

Thanks, I have seen those, but I dont think i have enough room. I think the hose I got will work, but if not I will look into those a little more.

24. Berky

Berky

I picked up a Boptop from a neighbor that I met through the HAMB (the HAMB is a really great place) and decided to mock it up. I have a 3" chopped windshield that came with the car. I think I would have preferred a 2" chop but I already have the parts.

The top was made for a SoCal windshield so I had to modify the header and extend the front pipes. Fortunately the top material is long enough to work on the longer frame. I will staple the header when the car is painted.

I just had to roll it out front and see how it looks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

OzMerc39 likes this.
  25. Berky

Berky

I also set the deck lid on, and lets just say I'm not happy with the fit. There is a flat edge on the bottom where they folded the skin that I will need to hammer down to get the contour to follow all the way down. It also seems that the whole lid is too long. There is almost no gap at the front and rear, also the side gaps widen at the middle.

I also made a rear body brace to firm the rear of the body and to mount the battery.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

26. chaddilac

chaddilac

Looks like a hot rod to me!!! Nice job!!! :D

27. Did you change your screen name?

28. That's a hot rod!

29. Berky

Berky

Well that's it for now. I started the project at the end of March and I rolled it outside for the pics above last weekend. Most of the fun mock up stuff is done. All I have left is to figure out how I am going to mount the rear shocks and front floor. Then I get to blow it all apart again for detail work and paint.

The plan is - black frame and fuel tank, cream firewall and maybe grill insert, British racing green body with 1/2 hood and baseball glove leather interior. If anyone wants to photoshop it for me I would be grateful.

I will update as I move forward.

30. Berky

Berky

Yeah, I was Rusty Rod but I never really liked it. All my friends call me Berky because of my last name so I figured it was time for a change.

We met once at the anti donut breakfast.