Register now to get rid of these ads!

blower on a flathead

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flathead fred, Mar 28, 2010.

1. flathead fred

flathead fred

Suppose I wanted to put a blower on my flathead. What is the best way to build a flathead to accomadate a blower.???

2. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

Buy Joe Abbins' book.

3. Ravenwood

Ravenwood
    from Texas

Yes... what Dale said. Then go to the bank while waiting for the book to arrive. :)

4. Stefan T

Stefan T
    from Sweden

I have Joe's book
    And i have build my own manifold and the blower drive

[​IMG]

My blower drive is something like his kit with multirib belt

/Stefan

5. Asphalt Outlaw Hero

Asphalt Outlaw Hero
    from Dixie

A friend of mine put a blower on his.He said it is a lot harder on head gaskets.Gotta pay particular attention here.

6. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I used Joes Roadrunner Engineering Blower on a deuce roadster I built several years ago. Just a 8BA 276 with mild cam, Ross pistons, 7.5 compression and between 4 & 5 lbs of boost. 5 speed with 3.89 gears and 7.00/16 tires. I could break them loose in the lower gears any time I wanted to. Used an electric fan with one of my 409 waterpump kits and never had any problems.

7. fastrnu

fastrnu
    from shelton,wa

8. blown49

blown49
    Member Emeritus

You don't say what type block your flattie is. I installed one of Joe's kits in March of 2003...some of the best money I ever spent. First off your compression ratio needs to lower so if your heads are stock milled or aftermarket high compression heads the will probably require a change. If you stay under 5-6 #'s of boost you may not need to install any additional crank main supports. You will need a dizzy other than the stock load-a-matic on the 1949 thru 1953 engines or use the Ford '42 thru '48 dizzy with total advance to not exceed 20 degrees. You aso don't mention your cam. I run a 400JR. in mine.

Jim

9. Capitan Insano

Capitan Insano