Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods blower motor

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cooter1, Mar 3, 2018.

1. cooter1

cooter1

i'm swapping out my 6 volt to 12 volt on my 54 chev car . all bulbs etc. the blower motor is turning out to be a bit of an issue . has any one tried running the old 6 volt motor on 12 volts . will it last . i've got a few 12 volt motors from 56 cevys but they are quitting on me . too long in the elements i guess . these aren't easy to swap out so i want something that will last . if the original 6 volt motor is going to burn out in a short while i'll keep looking for a 12 .

2. greybeard360

greybeard360

Run it on lower blower speed and not on high, should last a while.

Sent from my Moto G Play using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

It'll go like hell for a while. Why not take a center tap off the battery to run all your 6V equipment? If that is too easy you can buy voltage dropping devices and Zener diodes.

4. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What I have done in the past is to go down to my local NAPA store because it has old guys with twenty years experience and they go back in the shelves and find a twelve volt motor, good luck on what ever choice you make.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Go to the salvage yard and remove the blower motor resistor from pretty much any 70's-90's vehicle and put it in series with your six volt motor. Most later models use an electronic regulator to control speed. These resistors are used to control the speed of the 12 volt blower motors for the low and medium speeds. High speed is usually direct 12 volts. These do need to be in the heater ducting somewhere so that they are in the air flow which keeps them from burning up. Experiment with the various coils on the resistor and wire accordingly. It'll cost you more in gas to get to the salvage yard than the resistor will. Here's what one version of them looks like:
    resistor.jpg

And here's where it is on a mid 90's Chevy. I believe a lot of the older cars where the blower motor is under the hood also have the resistor located under the hood in the ducting. Mid 90's Chevrolet and most GM is as shown below:
    Resistor Location.JPG

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
    olscrounger likes this.
  6. High5

High5

7. miller

miller
    from New Jersey

..I have a 51 chevy and I changed it over to 12 volts....I am using the 6 volt blower motor and a 6 volt OEM radio...I purchased a voltage reducer from J.C. Whintey for $20...it has 12 volts in and 2 20 amp 6 volts out, that is plenty for your motor...I have this reducer in my car and in use for many years and NO problems...I would guess that the 6 volt motor would not last long with 12 volts running it,...miller

8. I just converted a 52 Ford F3 to 12 volts. I was able to access a 4 Seasons illustrated parts book with dimensions. It didn't take very long to find the blower motor I needed. As mentioned above a seasoned parts guy could help with that as well, unfortunately they (parts people with experience and a will to help) are a dwindling resource.

Some of the parts companies may have an online resource that duplicates the illustrated parts book.

9. cooter1

cooter1

all good advice . ill see if i can find a new one for a 55/56/57 on monday , otherwise rebuild the one i got . damn brush holders keep breaking .

10. cooter1

cooter1

problem solved . i took parts from 3 motors , and cleaned one up good , and now have a running motor . in nice shape inside . i love it when a plan comes together