Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Big flathead experience?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jimmy2car, Jan 20, 2012.

1. Jimmy2car

Jimmy2car
    from No. Cal

Does anyone have any experiece with the large stroker kits that Speedway and others sell? Like the 304 inch Scat stuff?
    Just how big can a flathead be?
    I once saw one that was 313 Ci, but don't know what the dimensions of the Bore/Stroke, or, who made the internals?
    Anyone?
    Thanks
    Jim

2. smittythejunkman

smittythejunkman

I got a scat 284 in my 34 coupe it works good. nice parts bought them from speedway
    they tell me there is no use wasting a good block boring it way too thin cause flatheads need air flow more than inches
    304 cubic inch 3 3/8 x 4 1/4 is as big as practical unless your trying to race Bonneville
    smaller bore is better if your going to drive it.
    mine is 3 5/16 x 4 1/8 i would have used more stroke but speedway didnt offer that combo. without going 3 3/8 bore
    this is just what i have learned after asking a lot of questions i am learning about flatheads as i go
    I just bought another stroker kit from speedy, 276 this time , had to shorten the stroke to keep the compression where i wanted it i think it's 3 5/16 x 4 inch hope to have it running by spring

3. Jimmy2car

Jimmy2car
    from No. Cal

Thanks for the info, Smitty. I appreciate it
    Jim

4. Am currently in the process with a 304 for the FED really liked the Scat rods as I didn't have to clearance the block, Had to clearance block for Eagle Rods I used in a 4" stroker earlier..........