Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Big daddy's 1960 El Camino

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lloyd's paint & glass, Nov 18, 2020.

1. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Looks like quite a haul! Glad ya'll had a safe trip. Those wheels don't look too bad, kinda an 80's vibe, I've seen worse! Now the fun part starts, tearing it down!

2. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Your HOA will be over to see you..............:p

Glad you had a safe trip. Its always nice to see someone realize their childhood dream.

loudbang likes this.
  3. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I think you mentioned missing much of the SS trim. I'm thinking one of those might look good without it, let the body lines do the talking, got enough of them.

Also, looking at the side shot without the windshield, an interesting though for a custom would be turning the roof around, so it slopes towards the front, A pillars sloping rearward and a built in visor.

But you're building a hot rod..

4. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

Guy here in North Bama got about 5 ,60 minos will not sell anything.Which helps you zilch!

loudbang likes this.
  5. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Nice score, welcome to the Elco club ! Did you tell uhaul you were hauling a Honda ? Bout got that lil ol trailer maxxed out..

6. Glad you got it home safe and sound!

7. Budget36

Budget36

Running yet? I’m sure it’s in primer by now, anyways.

8. Hey Mav, my wife said I needed to tell you thanks for the tip on the Walmart winch. Made this trip soooooo much easier! We used it to pull the cab up ramps into the bed, then pulled the car on the trailer. Could've done it any easier, thanks man ;)

safetythird and loudbang like this.
  9. It's pushed over under the trees, gonna be a bit lol. Might get it in here one cold snowy night and pull the seat and doghouse. I'm committed to a gasser, well, my version of a gasser. I'm gonna put a straight axle under it, ladder bars, e.t.c...

loudbang, scotty t and Budget36 like this.
  10. Nope! I told em 60 El Camino! Hauled it backwards so I didn't have to worry about losing that back glass :D

11. I've looked at it now, and I think I'll fill the area around the top of the bed. I'm not into purist restoration, just a hot rodder, so sheetmetal and body filler are WAY more affordable than thousands of dollars worth of stainless trim ;) we're on the same page I believe

12. Budget36

Budget36

Wasn’t there a phrase used “way back when” when chrome/trim was pulled from cars? I know it wasn’t dechromig, but something like shaved/etc?

13. Exactly what I was thinking lol. First thing is to put floors in it! I'm just happy it's in Ky now. And by the way, @buffords40ford is an awesome man, I really enjoyed meeting him and hanging out with him. We had a couple of brake drums frozen that we had to use caveman persuasion on, and replaced a couple of broken studs. But we came out smelling like a rose :D and I also learned it's 5000 miles across the state of Missouri!!!! Plus according to the signs, the best fudge in the world comes from Uranus!

14. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

5000 miles ? Wow I live here and didn't know that. Cool service van. I 've always wanted something like that. I'm in heating and cooling myself.

loudbang likes this.
  15. Lmao! The longest part of the trip was from St Louis to Joplin. And St Louis is a treat when you're pulling a car trailer! I'm a country boy, never could imagine living in a big city. Every time I go to a big metropolitan area, it makes me realize that getting behind a tractor going down the road here ain't so bad after all :D

16. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Good deal Lloyd! Glad I could be a little help. Those little winches are handy as hell, I'm on my second one now. I welded the slip plate on top of my trailer bulkhead so I can put it on when I need it, and use the slip plate from the old winch I burnt up when I need it on something else. Get a snatch block when you can, it will double the pull weight. No telling how many vehicles I've drug up on my trailer with mine, even with flats the snatch block makes it easy, if a bit slow. I used come a longs for years, these little winches are 10x better and less labor involved!

17. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

Lloyd I'll have to come and see you now and take a look at that! If you ever need a trailer again, don't go rent one, I have a 18 ft one you can borrow anytime. It isn't very old and pulls great. Back in the late 80's I worked for Reitman Auto Parts and worked with a guy, Marshal White, and he would save every piece of copper wire, battery cables that he could pull off a car when we pulled the engine. I went to his garage one night to work on a car and on one side he had a 59 or 60 elcamino, in the bed was every piece of copper wire he had ever saved. It had to be 10 ft tall and the rear bumper was almost touching the floor. He was killed in a farming accident so I don't know what happened to it, had almost forgot about it until this thread.

18. Come on anytime man, always welcome here. I've got my own car trailer, but I didn't wanna drag it all the way there lol, we hauled ass all the way there, took around 10 and a half hours on the way out, not so fast on the way back! Ran about 70, and stopped for gas a lot more times lmao! Took 14 hours to get back.

loudbang and scotty t like this.
  19. unfinished

unfinished

Congratulations! Glad to see a childhood hotrod dream come true. Hopefully you’ll be done in time to drive it to 2021 Hotrod Reunion!!

20. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Glad you made it back! Your wife is like mine, very understanding and supportive of our addictions! I have always been meaning to ask is that sweet young thing in your avatar your wife or your grand daughter? Because she is cute and innocent looking and you are ah , well like me old and ugly! ;) lol Larry

21. Uh yeah that's not gonna happen ;)

loudbang and unfinished like this.
  22. I'm the blonde Larry! She's a good woman, more than a wife, she's my bestest buddy :D

61Cruiser, scotty t, loudbang and 4 others like this.
  23. That was the only hot rod related vehicle I seen this weekend! But I'll tell ya what, he was cruising down the road right with everybody else. If ya gotta work, it might as well be fun huh? :cool:

24. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

I've been looking at vans from the 60's. Ford had one that opened on both sides. Yes might as well have fun working and the customers like my 31 shop truck. 122403919_3704844726228486_8878552071640705571_o.jpg

25. The37Kid

The37Kid

Glad you had a good trip, looking forward to the rebuild. Bob

loudbang likes this.
  26. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

Just noticed the van thru the windshield. That's what I want only no windows. lol Glad the trip was good. Better get busy. That's 3 projects now. The wagon, her truck, now the camino. She will have lots of practice on sewing. :D

loudbang likes this.