Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Bezel Tail light Ford Shoebox ? >

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by VEDETTE, Dec 20, 2018.

1. VEDETTE

VEDETTE
    from FRANCE

Hi!
    I would like to know if it is possible to weld shoebox tail light bezel ? it's steel? or alloy?
    I think I saw a picture that showed a welded bezel per dot..

[​IMG]

Thanks for you responses.
    ;)

2. My stock bezels were Pot Metal. You can't weld that to the Body. I don't know what the ones in the photo are. When I did my taillights I used heavy wall hydraulic tubing and metal finished things off. I could have filed the inside radi. to fit like a stock unit had I wanted.
    Msc shop photos 005.jpg Msc shop photos 006.jpg

belair, catdad49 and rodncustomdreams like this.
  3. eaglebeak

eaglebeak

'51 Fords were cast.
    The one shown in the picture '49 - '50, were stamped steel and can be welded.

Pist-n-Broke likes this.
  4. Correct, mine is a 51.

5. VEDETTE

VEDETTE
    from FRANCE

Thank you! good news! but this is not the opinion of Pist-n-brok :Oops:

wwilliammc likes this.
  6. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We bought new bezels for our 49 as we did lots of work to it and had no bezels for the previously frenched tail lights. Low and behold we did in fact have bezels , just that they were under all the filler that gave the appearance of frenched tail lights . The job was well done , you would never have guessed.

7. VEDETTE

VEDETTE
    from FRANCE

[QUOTE = "Pist-n-Broke, post: 12875095, member: 1811"] Exact, le mien est un 51. [/ QUOTE]
    Ah yes! ok kool...
    thanks!

8. VEDETTE

VEDETTE
    from FRANCE

Sorry I don’t understand the translator!
    Welded you the bezel? o_O

9. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No weld , just filler to blend in the bezels to the body to look frenched.

10. VEDETTE

VEDETTE
    from FRANCE

Ah ok.. I preferred the weld ;)

11. If you look at the back side of bezel it will show if it's stamped metal be it Tin or S.S. If it's cast potmetal it will probably have a part number cast in it. If it is Metal be it Tin or S.S. it will not have any i.d. on it. If it is potmetal think about using one of Today's new body bonding adhesives. There is some amazing glue out there that we never used to have. I believe the secret to making it work is to Tooth up both surfaces and get as a broad contact as possible. Do not try to just glue the edge to another edge much like we would do welding it on.
    The Wizzard

rodncustomdreams likes this.
  12. VEDETTE

VEDETTE
    from FRANCE

Glue?? i don't understand! :confused:

13. Used in New Car manufacturing, Air Craft industry as well as Body shops. It's a 2 part Epoxy type product and several kinds depending what you connecting together. Go to your local Auto paint supply and ask about Panel Adhesives.

14. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I went to have my '66 VW bug estimate after some bizzy ditch backed into me.
    The estimator told me IF they had to cut and patch the quarter... I said, "Yeah, they'll mig weld a patch and..." He interrupted, "No! No more welding these days...we simply glue the patch and smooth it out. No warping. burning, nothing. Everything gets glued. Welding is confined to trucks with frames."
    "YES, Virginia..." (Sorry, 'Vedette'!) "They are glued." Just like Bondo, only 'better'. LOL

lothiandon1940 and Pist-n-Broke like this.
  15. Yes, It truly is a New Way and much much faster with less impact and finish work. Being an Old tin bender I had a hard time buying into this system but I'm sold now. I still weld a lot but not on everything like I did. We no longer use a land line like we used to even though it will still do the job. Time changes all things.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  16. VEDETTE

VEDETTE
    from FRANCE

Ok.. but I preferred to work oldschool! :rolleyes:
    I am convinced that metal works differently than glue!(cement,bondo,polyester ect..) :confused:

17. I fully understand. That's why I did what you see in post #2. No adhesive there. I brought up the adhesive product in the event your trim ring is not welder friendly. I say brake out the welding torch and show us how it goes.

18. VEDETTE

VEDETTE
    from FRANCE

ok .. but I’m worried because I see in this photo that the metal looks like an unweldable alloy!?
    Are you sure it’s steel? o_O

(ebay pics)
    [​IMG]

19. NO,, I am not sure 49-50 are steel. In fact I do believe they are of Pot Metal. Go back and read what I said in post #11. If your still in doubt of what you have try to weld a piece if sheet metal to the edge of your Bezel instead of on the car. Also I'm sure you know you can't weld to Chrome plating. If you have a steel trim ring it must be striped. If it should happen to be S.S. then you can weld to it without striping. The Blister and color of the base metal of the photo above tells me you have Chrome Plated Pot Metal.

20. VEDETTE

VEDETTE
    from FRANCE

I haven’t bought bezel yet! I inquire before the purchase.. I can’t do tests!
    I will try to ask in kustom Shoebox posts..
    ;)

21. Let me ask you this. If your going to weld them on and paint the finished product why not just hand form an opening to look like the original opening? It's very basic and easy metal work. You can actually hand form the arc after you bend the light flange. I'd do that before buying any thing I don't already have and I'd make it in a Top and Bottom flange joined on the corners to make the points.

22. VEDETTE

VEDETTE
    from FRANCE

Yes! That’s what I’m gonna do! the bezel 49/50 are not weldable!
    home made:

[​IMG]

rodncustomdreams likes this.
  23. Is this your project in above photo? I like that. Much as I did on mine only I added a 3/4" extension. I then welded 1/4" studs and bolted the stock light bulb plate in from the inside.

24. VEDETTE

VEDETTE
    from FRANCE

No no it's not my car.. just sample .

25. VEDETTE

VEDETTE
    from FRANCE

thanks! but a bent steel bar costs less :rolleyes:

Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
    belair likes this.
  26. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I just went and checked 4 original bezels and they are pot metal..Checked two brand new from Dennis Carpenter and they are pot metal..I have never seen a stamped steel but there is nothing to say that Ford may have had them made by several vendors so one or more may have made them from a steel stamping...

lothiandon1940 and VEDETTE like this.
  27. VEDETTE

VEDETTE
    from FRANCE