Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Beware of Andrew Goyett/hallhendrick012

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by panhead_pete, Sep 10, 2020.

1. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Heads up guys. Posted a wanted ad on Fordbarn, a guy reached out to email someone ([email protected]) which I did. That guy started sending me pics of a chopped 33 that was too cheap and guess what, those pics were lifted from an auction site. Have contacted the admins at Fordbarn but just a quick heads up here.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
  2. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for the headsup! These asshats are the reason why so many guys in the US don´t dare to sell internationally anymore . Everyone seems to be scared of being scammed and I completely understand that. Doesn´t make it easier for us folks abroad to not build a 1-800 Hot Rod.

3. Picture copying seems to be the hot ticket for thieves. I just sold a car and the guy that bought it said I was a tough guy to get a hold of. He said he sent several emails to my other sites I had it listed on with no replies. I only had it listed on one site, the others stole my pictures and were trying to scam. Maybe all they wanted were email addresses, who knows why they didn’t reply.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
  4. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not a dealer but in the past I've sold parts to Europe, Canada, and Australia with no issues but I was always a bit nervous about it. The parts sold on the auction site more so than the sales through here or the Barn. I've heard too many stories about buyers on the auction site saying they never got the parts and having their money refunded meaning you the seller are out the part and the cost of shipping as well. It really is Caveat Emptor.

Baumi likes this.

5. Thanks for the heads up. :cool:

just for info you do know that you can put your wanteds in your signature line and that helps avoid scammers. Correct?

Texas Webb likes this.
  6. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Thank PB, I didn't know about the signature line thing. I'm looking for "ambition" seems I lost it a couple of years ago.

Pat

Dave Mc, harpo1313, scotty t and 5 others like this.
  7. rc57

rc57

Maybe, if you are the buyer, have the seller take a picture of something obscure so you know the car is actually there.
    Just a thought.

8. john walker

john walker

Send me the picture with a dollar bill on the part. Do a bank transfer. I'll ship when I see the money in my account.

VANDENPLAS and Baumi like this.
  9. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

You cannot trust even high feedback buyers on a auction site or the auction company either. Scammers all around. Selling on here I will not deal with low post count buyers , especially when they “TELL “ you what they are going to pay and how. I just move on .

olscrounger likes this.
  10. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Something you might consider if you find something you are interested in. Post the pictures and the supposed location on the Hamb and see if anyone knows the guy or the car. You might even find someone willing to go take a look at the car if it is near to them and tell you if they think something isn't quite right. Might help/shouldn't hurt.

11. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

You can always do a Google search on a picture by right clicking on it then using Google to search for it. If it has been used in multiple places, it will list them and you can go look for yourself and see if the ads are the same. I've done it before and found the same car on several different Craigslist and other ads, listed at different prices, in different locations around the country.

Ned Ludd and harpo1313 like this.
  12. @BamaMav It’s worth doing that if your a seller too. They could easily cost you a sale. It would of happened to me if the guys son hadn’t of seen my car on its original site. A quick fix would be for the sites to water mark the pics with their name. That might help with the picture stealing.... Just a thought.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  13. TCTND

TCTND

Yep, when I was looking for a '33-'34 coupe I came across numerous examples of the same car listed on different sites as belonging to different people and located in different states. I responded to a few just to see and usually got replies like "I'm selling it for a friend", "It was my deceased father's. I work on an offshore oil platform so this will be handled through a trusted intermediary." When I found a car I was interested in I phoned the seller to get an impression then did a search under his name with key words like "33 coupe. I quickly found some references to meets he had attended, who had built the car and so forth. Purchase went smoothly and I'm satisfied. Due diligence and great care are necessary; there are a lot of sharks out there.

wraymen and lothiandon1940 like this.
  14. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When you get offered something like this for $3500 you know something is likely to be wrong... 58263255-3eca-4c6c-b5b9-eb47d8d417a1.jpg

The37Kid likes this.
  15. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Heads up he was also offering this A coupe. IMG_1208.JPG

16. Explain or show what your talking about - I'm confused ?

17. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

The other way is to open Google Image Search in a new tab and drag the pic to the tab. I did that on the A coupe body pic and found it recently sold in Kentucky: (link)

panhead_pete likes this.
  18. "Just a wrench short of a tool box." [You]

"Wanted: lakewood block plate for SBC" [me]

The scammers troll the want ads. They do not troll the forum. People like me do not troll the want ads. But I see everyone's signature line on every post I read. Understand?

Oh and yes I have had several people contact me about the block plate I unfortunately have not had cash since I changed my sig line. :oops:

panhead_pete and firstinsteele like this.
  19. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

I remember the times you would answer a ad in old cars weekly or Hemings . Talk to the guy for a few minutes and send him a check for 900 bucks for a part. You would do this in a wink of a eye trusting the other party .
    It’s a shame what has happened and now you have to be very careful. I dont think I would be sending any money any way with out feedback or zero posts. I look to see when they signed up or it was only yesterday RED FLAG if your a buyer. I understand lots of lurkers and folks keeping private for many reasons. I agree with other posters asking for more pictures and if its too good to be true price wise your gambling ...