Register now to get rid of these ads!

BEWARE....buying from BLACK HILLS ANTIQUE AUTO in new castle wy.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by factory rat, Jul 12, 2007.

1. factory rat

factory rat
    BANNED
    from michigan

2. Well, there is the concept of going and looking at something before you bid on it, I suppose.

3. They say no iotro is needed here...thats debatable...
    I would guess that Ebays buyer protection would help you there if you can prove you were sold a"signifcantly different than description" vehicle.....
    It is just a matter of filing a claim it works= IF YOU ARE CORRECT in your statements.

4. phat rat

phat rat

I've been there and seen their stuff and also bought some things from them. Before I spent what your saying you spent I'd look for myself. They didn't bid it up to $3750 you did. One other thing to keep in mind. What's decent to one is junk to another.

5. beetlejuice55

beetlejuice55

exactly.
    there is no way that i would drop that kind of money on something that i didn't look at in person. after all, when bidding on e-bay, you are bidding on a picture, and taking for granted that the seller is telling you the 100% truth. something like this...i would have wanted to see it in person before i decided to spend that much on it. you placed the bids on it....no one forced you to bid it up that high.

6. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

i was also screwed by these guys,,,i bought a 39 dodge business coupe about a year and a half ago,,,they TOTALLY misrepresented the car,,,,,,i won't go into any more detail than that right now, but i figured these guys were dealers, and would therefore care about their reputation,,,,apparently i was way wrong..they "neglected" to mention a few little details and sent pictures that would not clearly show the damaged areas...sold the car and lost a SHITLOAD of $$,,(cost me $1200 to ship,,which i also kissed goodbye)

7. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

that could be debatable....shill bidding is rampant on e-gay as of late....thats why I dont buy shit off there any more...that and the fact that they hid the bidders identities during a active auction...made it way more "faceless"

8. Asphalt Outlaw Hero

Asphalt Outlaw Hero
    from Dixie

Sometimes the best money you can waste is on a plane ticket.
    Do all of your correspondence in writing.If they won't answer in writing.......run away!:eek:

9. Keep in mind that photo's - whether set up to artfully disguise a problem area or just casually popped off by an amateur - always show the car to look better than it is.

Paint is glossier, rock chips and the like don't usually show and chrome looks way better than it is.
    Thing with chrome is, mild rust pitting is invisible in most photo's due to the small size of the pitting and camera distance from the car.

10. rustfarmer

rustfarmer
    from Hawaii

Sorry to hear about your ebay problem. Like any community there are honest people and there are flat out asses. I have also lost money on ebay. Both as a seller and as a buyer. I hope that you are able to recoupe your losses.

11. phat rat

phat rat

That may be true but the bidder is still the one who decides to go higher no one is there at their computer forcing them to bid. Doesn't matter why it went that high he still went higher. If you don't know how to bid and stop when you reach a limit then you shouldn't take part in an auction. As to the condition of the truck. Well I saw some stuff there that I sure didn't think was worth what they did. But then I have been called a cheapskate. LOL What I did buy from them was a good deal

12. Aman

Aman
    from Texas

Sorry to hear about your loss. I've been getting a bunch of emails from a bunch of fake ebay sites lately. I get an email from someone wanting to buy my item now or are asking for shipping charges to a certain place. The thing is, I have never sold anything on ebay, just bought some stuff. When I clicked on "respond now" I get the warning about the bogus site. This just started in the last two weeks. Ebay is a risky place to do business, a complete gamble. Beware folks!

13. HEY! TAKE IT EASY ON THIS NOOB! Crabtree (guy that ons BH Antique) is a crook by stupidity. Yes, he is a few miles from me, I have had dealings with him. Most of the stuff he sells is junk, and overpriced at that. My old boss watched a guy in his yard lapping a bare metal A patch panel on a rusty car, outside, IN A SNOWSTORM! Then after they looked through the yard, came back by and the dude was spreading mud on the newly "repaired" piece. I saw it on Ebay in primer shortly after.........funny thing, I dont think the wanker realizes he is a crook.

Just dont buy from him unless you can touch the part first. I am willing to go look for anyone on the HAMB that asks.

14. I remember that car:eek:

15. beetlejuice55

beetlejuice55

that old saying "buyer beware" comes into play here i think.
    i still say that i would not buy anything like that going off of just a picture, and what the seller types to you in an e-mail. i'd want to see it up close in person, and talk to the guy. facial expressions can give you clues as to if he's full of shit or not. a typed message has no feeling...you have no idea if the guy is laughing his ass off while typing it or not.

16. well, you're not supposed to click on a link in an email; fake eBay sites have little to do with people who stick it to you that are actually on eBay. Now if a car is too far away to eyeball in person, you can always post here on the HAMB and ask if someone is close enough to go get a look at it for you. But it comes back down to not spending thousands of dollars on something sight unseen. $500 or less and expecting a rough car is one thing, much more and a car purported to be in good shape, is another.

----------

Are these the folks always advertising "barn fresh" cars usually in fresh looking primer, sometimes with no glass in them? Usually $2000 and up for a non-running project car? You have to beware of fresh primer on a car, it's been used to hide a multitude of sins. My '50 Chevy looks great in the photos I post... up close, you should see the waves and ripples and just terrible repair work on it.

17. The37Kid

The37Kid

Is this the place that has all the cars in red primer?

18. ZZ-IRON

ZZ-IRON
    from Minnesota

I bought 5 cars off ebay. 3 were OK. I went after them myself. Conn. N.J. & N. C. The one in Ohio was the worst, the work sucked.

The other was a guy Aaron in Neb. Who closed his auction , He had a lot dead beat bidders. I told him I would paypal him right away, I was high bidder at the time anyway. I thought it would still go through ebay, it didn't. I trusted him. I told him that I didn't want to pick it up till June.

I had a bad trailer at the time. He agreed it would be safe & secure. One the first attempt I was rained out, He left a message. The second attempted never happened. He emailed me and said it was gone. That he was not a scam artist! That was a year & a half ago No money returned. There's is a site online for internet fraud. It involves the FBI & another firm IC3. It's crime to commit fraud on the internet. I'm taking this action, with the IC3. You might want to google up IC3.

There's a lot of good people on ebay, then what can I Say.

19. phat rat

phat rat

Motion Unlimited in Rapid City used to do that. This guy has a lot of them in black primer. Red hides surface rust showing through, black hides things due to holes sometimes looking like shadows

20. I think he is doing that now. Motion Unlimited changes the primer color every couple years or so, they are another local.

21. I WON'T buy a primered car. In my opinion, a car should go from whatever it is, to primer, to paint, before it's exposed back in the elements. Primer is porous, and therefore a poor choice as a top coat for something we're trying to preserve for the next generation of enthusiasts

22. phat rat

phat rat

Reading these posts points out that sometimes things aren't as we think. How many times has someone described something to you and when you see it you think, "He had to have been looking through rose colored glasses". The opposite would be an experience I had years ago when my oldest son was looking at a neighbor's car to buy. The guy was really badmouthing the car and how he didn't really want to sell it to my son. Well my son bought it drove it for a year or so then his younger brother drove it for 2 years and sold it to someone who drove it at least another 5. It was a good car just the neighbor wasn't a car person and because it was 10 years old thought it was a POS. Only after you've looked at it can an informed decision be made or if the price is cheap enough you take a chance. As to going high on an auction, well people get caught up in the bidding. I used to go to a lot of farm auctions and would see people bid more on used than
    they could buy new for. At least there the auctioneer is pushing to get more and a good one get get the job done that way. On Ebay you are your own enemy, you do it yourself, no one is there clicking the bid button

23. I think we've got a really good solution right here on this forum. If you can't get to wherever this stuff is at, we can try to see if anybody on HAMB is close, and can check it out. It's great that there's a member pretty much everywhere. Paying for somebody's lunch and gas to get a real rodder's opinion seems like a great deal.

24. Napoli at Motion Ultd first started priming the cars on his lot to keep city and county officials off his ass. He would do all the cars red oxide and as he sold them he would do tinted blue or yellow and over time the lot would morph from one shade to the next...........it was actually kinda cool to watch, I live down the road.

25. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

I'd Say It's Your Own Damn Fault For Not Going And Looking At It Or At Least Requesting Some Detailed Pictures. My Questionis That If Is Coming From Wyoming Then Why Would You Think It Isn't Full Of Rust. They Have Crazy Winters There....tons Of Snow And Ice. Rust Is To Be Expected

26. Wrong, western South Dakota and most of Wyoming are very dry desert like climates. The humidity is so low I can leave baremetal cars sit for months w/o even flash rust showing.

27. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

yeah,,,,cool body style,, i was REALLY looking forward to building it, but it was just TOO screwed up...

28. RatBone

RatBone

Thats right! My cars didnt rust till I brought them from Wyoming to SoCal.

On egay I have bought cars but I only buy from people with over 2 or 300 feedbacks and I look at other stuff they sold and how often. You can tell real rodders from scam artists a lot of the time. Call the BBB in SD and complain on this place, if no one does they will go on forever.

29. greezy28

greezy28

I had someone try to scam me on egay too on a 51 ford truck. Flat out lied about the fenders not being wrinkled, flat out lied about the huge rustholes (said there was only light pitting) and on and on. I was pissed about the $50 in gas money it cost me to look at it before hand. I can imagine how you feel. You guys can sit there and say that "you were the one that bid on it" but if someone flat out lies to you then who's really at fault? The one who bid or the one who lied his ass off?