Register now to get rid of these ads!

better late than never intro

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by David Chandler, Oct 2, 2007.

1. David Chandler

David Chandler

I've been on here for a while now, and have read that intros aren't required, but that some people think it's proper to do so, so I'll give it a shot.
    I'm lucky enough to be retired at this point, so I guess NAFTA wasn't as bad as we all heard.
    I've played around with cars and engines sence I was old enough to have them, and more often than not I was trying to make something work using what I had at hand. And it was a great education, although not painless. My first exposure to hot rods was my older cousins 32 Ford 5 window coupe. I loved it and lamented that I didn't have the $400 that he sold it for. Although my parents probably would have dissowned me had I aquired it.
    Later on I aquired an F1 with a flathead, and was given another one just to get it out of the guy's yard. He had taken it completely apart and had given up on it. I loved that truck, but as things happen I got married and had no place to keep it, so I had to let it go.
    I've rebuilt and modified several engines and did an engine swap, which felt like taking a leap of faith at the time, although it wasn't all that bad. I've done some porting and port matching, and was pleased with the results most of the time. Although I admit I used a couple of sets of heads for landfill before I tried them.
    Now I'm trying my hand at making a model A out of nothing, so to speak. I was given a cowl, and have been collecting parts sence then. I still have a long way to go. And this is my first attempt at scratch building something. I have several engines to choose from and a couple of transmissions, and possibly a rear end if I can bear to remove it from under the car it's currently under.
    I admire a lot of the work that I've seen here, by people a lot more tallented than I am. And will say here that I take my hat off to you guys for the quality and ingenuity that you have.
    Thanks for the continuing education.
    Dave

2. matthew_caine

matthew_caine
    from texas

you should probably be welcoming me but... HEY whats up from texas man!

3. David Chandler

David Chandler

Consider yourself welcomed Matt. Texas, nice place, lots of old cars that aren't rust buckets like they are around here.