Register now to get rid of these ads!

Best way to "store" a classic for winter without a garage.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Redfan45x, Oct 25, 2012.

1. bigdaddylove

bigdaddylove

Around here, garage space is at a premium and not so easy to find.

Also, I understand not having money.

If you did go the cover route, perhaps a two or three 5 gallon buckets filled with regular cheap rice bought at the Asian supermarket will help with moisture? I know you can buy commercial products that do the same thing at a higher cost.

Just thinking, good luck.

BDL

2. Redfan45x

Redfan45x

My biggest problem is money and location, I moved here to saint paul from northern MN, about 5 hours away. Don't know anyone yet and don't have a job, not many people want to hire a 18 year old who isn't in school unless they are an illegal immigrant.
    As for tires I need to get new ones next summer anyways so I'm not worried about them they are already crap, the car itself isn't running right now because I have no gas, and no way to get gas in the car because my gas can went conveniently missing.
    I live about a block away from the skyline, so I'm not in a happy safe suburb but it certainly isn't north minneapolis. Im not worried about vandalism or someone trying to steal the car, but if not covering it wont harm it I might just have to do that

3. FFFFrank

FFFFrank

There's cold storage all over the twin cities for dirt cheap. It doesn't sound like you want to do the work to find some, but I usually pay for my storage in the spring. The guy that owns the barn knows that it's pretty easy to make sure I pay -- or else he gets to keep my boats and truck. Put an ad on craigslist that you're looking to trade snow shoveling or property upkeep for winter storage. Plenty of old timers with garage space that it would work out great for.

4. Man, I hate to say it but maybe car storage is not your main consern at this time. Just store the car in a way that costs the least and worry abot getting a job.

5. dad-bud

dad-bud

Do what the birds do and head south for the winter.

6. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

I had to do this one year when I was moving..
    How I delt with the issue has already been mentioned here, but I will say it again..buy an enclosed trailer..out of sight, out of the weather, and portable

lately i have seen a lot of these types of trailers for sale cheap

and most apartment places will not have much of an issue with a trailer, but a car stored under a tarp or hut,, yeah they might take issue with that

7. I think at this point you need to sell it, get a job and get settled. Look for a car in the spring.
    Just my opinion..........

8. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

Last edited: Oct 26, 2012
  9. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

I have a heated garage and my car sits outside during the winter, unless I'm working on the car. Been that way for almost 20 years. The car just needs to be in a place where it doesn't get sprayed with salt. A couple feet off the road does wonders. If your apartment has a lot to park in, ask permission to park it in a corner, or someplace out of the way where it won't get hit by someone plowing the lot or the street around the lot.

Don't cover it up, and don't block off the windows, sun shining in does wonders to keep things from molding through the winter.

Find a job. If you want to keep a car, you will need money coming in, and money trees are hard to find. No one will hire you if you look like a bum, or have a bad attitude. While your looking for that job, go volunteer someplace, lots of places need and can use your help. While your volunteering, people will be watching. If you work hard, are helpful, and have a good attitude, a job offer may just come out of nowhere. Gene

10. Redfan45x

Redfan45x

That is extremely awesome, call me dumb but what exactly is a banger?

11. oakmckinley

oakmckinley

I am in Minneapolis and I'd be more concerned with how am I going to move it when the apt complex plows. This is the city and property management companies are not the friendliest, and are very eager to tow. If it sits too long in that -10F weather it probably won't start. It always seems like the tow trucks wait on snow days in the lower income parts of town.

Maybe a hamber on here will take pity on you and let you store it at there place. Good luck.

12. Keep looking there is someplace with a roof possibly enclosed near you ... Are ya really doing a thourogh search?
    Msra website ?
    Ask around the area ... Post on cl

or just walk your area ... Good luck

what ya got to trade ...time labor... Tools ?

13. raidmagic

raidmagic

Drive it. What do you think the people that bought it new did? They certainly didn't part it and drive something else. If you can't store it the best thing you can do for it is use it.

14. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

We used to check apartment buildings with parking garages near us in Brooklyn Park years ago.Always found garages that could be rented.If storing a vehicle is REALLY important you can find a way to pay for it.Like I said,if it's important then a second job or cutting back on something else will pay for it.

15. Redfan45x

Redfan45x

I can keep it in my apartment drive way, its just a triplex made from a old house in a residential era, and the landlord is fine with it, and its parked back far from the road next to the storage shed (shame it isn't a storage Garage)
    I'm going to just have to go with leaving it out, for now. Im hoping this will be a snowless winter again though

16. oakmckinley

oakmckinley

I don't know, 2 snowless winters in a row. I am not counting on it.
    If you can let it sit there all winter, it should be fine. Once its buried at least it's protected from the elements.

17. 39 Ford

39 Ford

If the car is importaint to you you can find the $$ for cheep storage, look for private storage or a place that has shipping container storage, cheeper that a rented garage.

18. scott 351 wins

scott 351 wins

I would be praying for snow if I was you, buy a new snow shovel. Use that to your advantage to earn money for your car and possibly storage space, plus kids these day's seem not to want to work very hard. This will earn you self respect for yourself and learn you the value of a hard earned buck. ive lost several old cars in my youth due to lack of places to keep them. If the land lord is ok with your car being there so be it. I'd keep the wheels on the car to keep it looking less an eye sore.

19. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

4- Banger is the engine

20. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

21. oakmckinley

oakmckinley

^^^^
    Nice, thats not a bad deal!

22. rustyangels

rustyangels

Prep it like a boat, run some stabilizer in the full fuel tank around the block, pump up the tires 10lb over. Park it on asphalt if possible, then run fogging oil thru the carb till it dies. Cap the carb and tailpipe with plastic baggies. LPS-3 is a waxy grease spray to protect bare metal & chrome.

23. Your not alone. I just checked in on my 61' Cad yesterday and found that after wrecking it, actually made things worse than I thought. It loosened things up and now rain water is getting inside and dampening the carpets even with the weather-proof cover on it! Now I need to figure out a way to suck out all the moisture from inside and keep it dry and protected. I don't have a garage either and placing my car in a storage unit by itself in a 'drug community' is last on my mind right now. Plus I'm not rich. I'm thinking keeping it uncovered really IS a good idea since when I last discovered my Cadillac, it was exposed for 10 years! and the body is wonderfully straight. But I would still feel comfortable keeping it covered and tucked away. I would keep a close eye and check things every now and then to be sure everything is dry and cozy. Add a few tree fresheners too to keep rodents at bay.

24. rosco gordy

rosco gordy

Your nuts, to leave it out that guy on web got indoor for the season for 200 I believe come on man if you can not afford that sell the car you have other problems his name is Jim in the north subs in the twin citys super good guy all over the web in town real big in posting all the summer cars show on the net

25. John Yert

John Yert