Register now to get rid of these ads!

best way to ship an engine?????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lownslow, Feb 18, 2004.

1. lownslow

lownslow

i have shipped lots of parts but never a whole motor .....anyone on here ever done this before ??? any leads on who to use ...gotta get a motor from burbank, ca to new mexico ....any idea what that would run??????thanks [​IMG]

2. bigron

bigron

call some trucking companies, fed ex ground ,etc.

3. hankcash

hankcash

I have shipped cars and motorcycles in the past, usually runs about $1.00 a mile...
    I can assume that a motor would be a little less....

HC

4. CaseyK

CaseyK

I would bolt two wood blocks to a pallet, (you can usually score a good one behind home depot or lowes), one under the oil pan and one under the front pulley. Set the motor down on the blocks so it sits upright and then bolt four pieces of chain to each corner. On the other end use some good aluminum turn buckles and eye hooks (mounted through the pallet) and tighten them down. Use some wire, and wrap it through the turn buckle so it doesn't loosen up from the vibration. I guess you could also cut one of the center wood strips on the pallet and let the oil pan sit down in the pallet and just block the front pulley. This allows the weight to be lower to center. The only prob with this is if you aren't running the fork lift to load it on or off the truck, the pan will get smashed by the guy who is.

-casey

5. Suede

Suede

When I shipped my 53 merc block to its new owner, I used a truck freighting company. They strapped it onto a pallet and lifted it into a truck headed that way. From washington state to san diego it was 270 bucks.

6. FLAT-TOP BOB

FLAT-TOP BOB
    HAMB O'dex Editor

fed ex is the company i use. weigh it and call them for a price. tell them it is a core motor and class 85 it will be cheaper!

7. lownslow

lownslow

flat top what is class 85 ??? i am not familiar with that ......

thanks guys i have no clue on this....