Register now to get rid of these ads!

best way to remove paint from finned valve covers?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by touchdowntodd, Nov 3, 2008.

1. touchdowntodd

touchdowntodd

what wont hurt the aluminum?

thanks,

2. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

thinner and or brake fluid works for me

3. KCCOS

KCCOS
    from KC

4. it even says works on aluminum, just use light coats and have a dipping bucket handy to wash off the stripper. I did these vette ones which had red between the fins and it didn't harm the aluminum.

[​IMG]

5. I use brake cleaner.

6. blkcat77

blkcat77

The easiest way is to sand blast with walnut shell. Or just sand blast with regular stuff and polish the smooth areas after.

7. BigBlockMopar

BigBlockMopar

I had a set lyed. Turned out great and saved me a lot of work.
    Not sure if prolonged exposure to the lye could hurt them or not. They used a base lye.

8. Just dab paint stripper on the painted areas only with a Q-tip or a small disposable brush. Clean off all the oil and grease first, and the paint stripper works faster. The paint will just shrivel up and you can scrub it or blast it off with a hose. There will probably be a few places that didn't come off the first time around, so dry it and dab some more paint stripper until it crinkles up. Jasco paint and epoxy stripper works okay, but some stuff I got at a swap meet called "Blue Lightning" works even faster.

The adhesion of paint to aluminum isn't usually all that great anyway, so it's pretty easy to chemically strip paint off aluminum usually.

9. Carb cleaner. Every shop has some >>>>.

10. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

I agree with aircraft stripper. You can buy it in a gallon can at nearly any hardware store.

Just slop it on and as soon as the paint wrinkles up, wash away with water and a scrub brush. Don't splash it on yourself or you will be made aware of the mistake in short order.

11. CheapSheep

CheapSheep

12. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

awww c'mon... It's just fatalness and blindness you are worrying about!

13. backyardbeliever

backyardbeliever

YES.......prolonged exposure (doesnt take long) WILL hurt em. turm em black or totally disolve them ive done it . You wont like it . Aluminum, Zinc, Magnesium, Rubber, and some others are NOT friends with Sodium Hydroxide (LYE).

14. 3Deuce40

3Deuce40
    from Colorado

Attached Files:

geoffcoop likes this.
  15. jonnycola

jonnycola

glass bead them and re-polish.

16. touchdowntodd

touchdowntodd

love ya johnny!!!

17. jonnycola

jonnycola

Take them to U-spray in butler and glass bead them yourself for 1.25 a minute. Shouldn't take more than 2 or three minutes. You can even mask the polished parts with duct tape.

18. Aircraft stripper is made to go on aluminum, i certainly wouldn't use an abrasive.