Register now to get rid of these ads!

Best way to get it up - the driveway.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kursed56, Dec 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kursed56

kursed56

Heres my dilemma, and I thought some of you creative types would have some ideas for me. Bought this project 50 Shoebox that doesnt run and has no brakes. I have a VERY short and steep driveway and I need a way to get it up into the garage.

I dont have a place to work on it other my home. So, I can pay a shop to get it going and get the brakes done or figure out a way to get it in the garage.

Ive hooked a tow strap up side-by-side almost parallel to a old firebird and it worked okay. Or maybe park the truck in the garage and get a long come-along, or...

Looking for some ideas from you problem solving guys.

Heres my driveway. Too steep to back a trailer up, it hits before it even gets close.

[​IMG]

2. Come along in garage is your best bet.

3. HELLVIS

HELLVIS

4. chaddilac

chaddilac

Load it on a Rollback and they can back right up to your door!

5. F&J

F&J

Most logical is a rollback wrecker.

6. Fat47

Fat47
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Free beer for all your friends and neighbors for helping you push it up into the garage OR fing one friend with a beat up old truck, a 2 x 12 for a bumper and split the beer with him.

7. Ester Eddie

Ester Eddie
    from Alaska

Push it up with the truck?Put couple tires between bumpers and tug boat it up.Good luck.

8. GREASER815

GREASER815

I would put an old tire between it and my beater pick up, put my wife in the project to steer it, and push it up there, and then throw some bricks behind the tires once its there so I didn't have to do it again.

9. hd4unm

hd4unm

Buy a AAA membership, then have flatbed towing guy with a tilt bed wheel it off into your garage bay of choice. Much cheaper than having someone work on it.

10. Drill a hole in the rear of the garage and set a big anchor in it and hook up a winch up to it and have fun. or do it the easy use a roll back tow truck.

11. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

A roll-back tow truck should have NO problem putting it right in your garage for you!

He can load it so that either the front or back is going into the garage and then back up your driveway...roll the bed back and tilt it..then roll the car off using his winch as a brake, right into your open garage.

I see this as a very simple off load for ANY operator...unless I'm missing something!?!?

12. Ester Eddie

Ester Eddie
    from Alaska

Greaser we think alike lol...

13. F&J

F&J

there must be a fun way to try it, while destroying the wifeys minivan..

14. Pigiron

Pigiron

Any pickup car or with 3 old tires tied to the front bumper. Won't hurt the car or truck.

15. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

Make a New Driveway on the other end cross the front door & a flat landing/turnaround in front of the double door garage.

16. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Put a SBC in it and drive it up into the garage.

Sorry, couldn't stop myself. :)

17. Gather a small army
    Go and conquer a small country
    Slave them
    Make em pull the car with ropes while whipping them
    Feel nothing for their sad songs
    When they are done,free them.

18. Beau

Beau

Round these parts an old snowblower works good for moving vehicles around. Summer or Winter.

My buddy removed all the snow throwing parts and put a piece of wood with rubbber on the front. It works great.

If you have the Wife steering it in to the garage, be sure to remember something that will stop it before it ends up in the backyard.

19. El Gordo

El Gordo

My driveway's just as steep,
    Had some fueling issues in my '64 last summer and TWICE had her tiltdecked home for free by AAA.
    My garage interior has about 12" total room wider than the car, both times the operators set my car into the garage without a problem.

20. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

You Get the Idea

Attached Files:

21. BLUECOLLARKUSTOMS

BLUECOLLARKUSTOMS

mount a pulley to the back wall of the garage, tie a (good) rope to the project car at the bottom of the driveway, run it through the pulley and hook it to your running car and just back down the driveway, pulling the project car up into the garage. Ive used a come-along to move lots of cars into my shop alone when nobody was handy to help, funny how often that happens......good luck and be safe.

22. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

This way you could have 2 driveways

23. 56FRLN

56FRLN

Agree with the solution of pushing it up with old tires as bumpers between it and the pusher. Not pretty but it will get the job done. If you do have AAA it covers ANY vehicle you happen to be driving - not only ones you own and have insured. Worked for me when the Boy Scout Troop truck I was driving crapped out. They don't need to know it doesn't run.

24. Rich68

Rich68
    from Warren, CT

I use a garden tractor (late 60s International Harvester) on a short tow strap. Depending on the depth of the garage, you can get it practically the whole way in the bay, then chock the wheels, disconnect the tractor and drive out the adjacent bay.

25. mikebarone

mikebarone

Pull the ramps out and back the trailer. When it hits, put the ramps on. I bet it will be nearly a flat push then.

I park up a hill at the track like this. i cna pull stright on and off.

26. dad-bud

dad-bud

The come-along, tyres strapped to the front of a push-vehicle or a bunch of friends pushing/dragging sounds like you will sort out a system you can use more than once if you need to.
    The rollback truck proposal would probably be the easiest, but someone needs to be paid somehow.

As for IWANAFLATTIE - Feel nothing for their sad songs - OMG, BAHAhahahahahahaha!!!!!!!

27. Ester Eddie

Ester Eddie
    from Alaska

Yeah Iwannaflattie has the best plan yet.!!lol Awesome

28. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Yup...but he'll never get on "Funniest Home Videos" using a roll-back...whereas with some of the other suggestions on this thread...chances are pretty good he might! LoL :p:D:D:D

29. budd

budd

i use a 12 volt boat winch to move vehicles around, i made the cable for the switch long enough i can sit behind the wheel and drive, it's slow but works.

30. Me too [only an ancient Craftsman with no brakes] but I always get a helper with chock blocks in hand in case something happens on the way up the drive. Worst that has happened was lack of traction with the little tractor.
    Every time I do this I can imagine the ring/pinion of that teeny rear axle blowing apart but so far-so good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.