Register now to get rid of these ads!

Best shifter for a DNE 4 + 1?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Paul Y, Aug 3, 2008.

1. Paul Y

Paul Y

Hi All,

I was running a Long shifter on my DNE but after it tried to select multiple gears at the same time for the last time it is now residing in my scrap bin.

So, suggestions please on its replacement.

Not a huge amount of choice out there but having seen the thread earlier on Hurst shifters I would like to get some opinions before I give the moths a breath of fresh air.

Thanks

P.:D

2. Rich Rogers

Rich Rogers

IMO, it's hard to beat a Hurst. I know the prices have gotten totally stupid on them but they are again, IMO the best

3. draggin'GTO

draggin'GTO

I ran the Long shifter on my DNE 4+1 for a couple of years and it never tried to select 2 gears at once.

Maybe your linkage was out of adjustment or something.:confused:

I've always considered the Hurst a second choice compared to the Long shifter for the DNE 4+1.

Other than the Long shifter the Hurst is pretty much the only other choice out there.

Good luck.

4. Paul Y

Paul Y

Hi Bart,

Thanks for the information on the billet (shhhh...) parts for my trans.

All installed now but the problem looks like it originated with the shifter. It basically would go 'loose' not being in any plane and would then find it way again which would then engage the 2 gears.

Mostly these would be first and reverse after manouvering at slow speeds, easily cured by jacking the car up and pulling the levers back into the correct plane.

All ok really until a few weeks ago when it went all floppy as I was racing at the Outlaws Picnic, finally found 3rd gear and refused to come out.

When I came to a halt the box locked up, when I got it home it was in 3rd and what looked like reverse which ended up with the selector forks being bent.

The issue seemed to be that the 3 slides that control the selection of gears were binding and allowing 2 of the three to move backwards or forwards togeather and so causing the problem.

Now after all the effort of getting it repaired I dont really want to have the same probelm again, hence the reason for the post.

If the general vote is for Long and I was just unlucky then that is the route I will go, would be interested to hear if anyone else has had any problems.

Mind you, having said that I must have nearly a bullet proof drivetrain now as I have broken every component in it!

P.

5. draggin'GTO

draggin'GTO

Paul,

You may have just had some faults with the shift forks inside the trans in the first place, no shifter is going to be able to select the gears properly on a 'sick' box.

My Long shifter was always tight and precise, I'd be surprised if the shifter itself was really at fault unless it just plain slam worn-out.

Bart