Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Best settings 1406 Harley carb (Stock 350 A/T)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bigalturk1, Apr 4, 2016.

1. bigalturk1

bigalturk1

Regarding: Jets, springs & metering rods..
    My neighbor installed a stock 250 horsepower/350 crate engine (Was a 283) in his 1965 Chevy Nova. It has a TH350 Trans. with stock rear-end gearing.
    Before I start re-jetting, etc. (Because it runs rich), I'd like to know the best combo,
    to fine-tune this Carb (Elevation is at sea level).

>>>Years ago (On a 1406) I swapped the primary jets to #95 (From #98) on a stock 305 Chevelle & it ran much better... But that combo may run to lean on the Nova 350 engine.

2. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Tillotson ? Linkert ??

3. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Hate to be a dick, but 1406 is an Edelbrock Carb number and carb tuning is a hit-or miss exercise on each individual engine. I'd suggest starting with the carb owners manual, it's pretty helpful. If you don't have one, you can download one on Edelbrock's website.

Just as an example, you need to find out if it's rich in low, mid, or high range before you just swap jets.

mad mikey likes this.
  4. Use the Edelbrock charts in the manual, they show what rod, spring and jet combos to use for rich or lean conditions. As said, you have to find the set up that the engine wants-likes.