Register now to get rid of these ads!

Best quality power window kits.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 59elky, Dec 5, 2007.

1. 59elky

59elky

I know it is not traditional or old school, but I need a power window kit for a 50 Merc. What is the best quality one to buy? There are so many different brands and styles out there I am sure some of you have some opinions.
    Thanks

2. kustom66cat

kustom66cat

I've done a lot of work in the 12 volt after market accessory field and from my experience all the kits that slip over the crank stud are junk. No matter how much you spend on them. Electric-Life is the best brand I worked with, but I think their kits are model specific. They might not have a universal kit. Kits that are described as a Ford style kit work well as long as the window slides up and down with low resistance. This set up uses a flexible nylon worm gear and the motor mounting can be pretty easy. I've noticed Auto Loc sells them. Another ideal for you is that if you dont mind making a project out of it, the Ford setup can be taken from boneyard 80's fullsize Fords and Mercs. The flat glass in your car should make for a fairly easy adaption.

3. Paul2748

Paul2748

In my opinion, the best are the Nu-Relics system. Probably the most expensive, but a quality product. I have them in my 48 Ford conv (door and rear qtrs) and never had any problems with them in over 10 years. They use GM motors on factory window hardware. Everything bolts up to factory mounting.

4. I've installed several different brands and have found Specialty Power Windows to be the most user friendly for me. They also work grate. I just put them in my personal 51 Ford and have the units ready for my 50 Merc. Like you I don't like late model buttons on the door panels so I used Hotronics switch with the Stock window crank on it. I also don't like wires moving with the Doors so I alwayse use Juliano's Door check strap. It's a little work but well worth the effort. The end result is a Stock 50's looking interior weather the Door is open or closed. I did learn to just throw away the wireing diagram and harness that comes with the Hotronics switch and use relays to run the windows with the switch controlling the relays.
    The Wizzard