Register now to get rid of these ads!

Best of Route 66

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fiftee6effie, Mar 9, 2013.

1. fiftee6effie

fiftee6effie

Please post your opinions of which sections of old Route 66 (including any secret or lost sections long forgotten) that are a must see and photos and stories so we who haven't driven the road and want to will get the most out of it! Thanks in advance! I look forward to the journey!

Attached Files:

2. the section between Needles California and Kingman Az. is still intact.The town of Oatman is on that route.I hope to drive it this year

3. fiftee6effie

fiftee6effie

Thanks for the tip, I want to drive it too starting on the west coast end!

4. in 09 hamber big jim took me on a cruise up to Tulsa from okc on 66....and we drove all of it from Tulsa back to okc.....tons of cool sites to see and places to stop along that section...several places where ya can sorta drop theu the bushes and scrub plants down onto the original road surface,,,,most has been repaved, and some widened....but the whole cruise was great...I wasn t driving so I was taken in everything I could see......tons of old iron everywhere...cool ass builds ect...

5. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Just 10 minutes from my front door on Route 66..

[​IMG]

6. bb1970

bb1970

I've been from Chicago to Kingman on 66. Three different vacations. Total of three weeks. Oklahoma was the best for me. Illinois was the worst. Honestly there is neat stuff from Joplin all the way to Kingman. Tons of literature out on 66 travel. Loads of websites too. do some research. I'm planning my leg from Kingman to the coast for this summer.

7. Don't miss Kingman and oatman.

8. 1934coupe

1934coupe

I lived in Flagstaff AZ Rte. 66 is alive and well there. A few miles west of Flagtaff it Bellemont AZ 66 runs along interstate 40 and it is called E. Bellemont Rd. In Easy Rider they filmed a scene there at a gas station. It was still there in the 90s. Its on a dead end at the Northern end of E. Bellemont Rd.

Bellemont, AZ 86015

Pat

9. BobG

BobG

I live 2 blocks from the old Rt 66 in Springfield IL. When your going through Springfield ya gotta stop at the Cozy Dog on the south side of town for lunch.
    There's also a cool little place in Williamsville IL right on the old Route run by a man named Frank, well worth the stop.

Going through Illinois and Missouri on I-55 in Illinois and I-44 in Missouri the Interstate during a lot of the trip runs along side of the old Rt 66... It's used as a frontage road in a lot of places, there are still several old places left that were once business places on 66.
    Old closed Motels, Gas Stations, etc.
    There are some areas where the old route is totally gone and you have to get back on the Interstate but then it'll re appear a little while later.

10. Seligman to Kingman is about 70 miles of the old road

Attached Files:

11. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

After "visiting" Route 66 around Kingman since 1980 I finally moved here last spring. A lot of cool places between Seligman & Needles. I dont think Kingman exploits Route 66 enough myself. Seems like they demolished some of the more historic buildings over the years. Kingman to Oatman is the best ride.

12. metalix_421

metalix_421

there is a pretty cool museum in Elk City Oklahoma that is on route 66 it would be worth stopping at.

13. hippy killer

hippy killer

i drove the needles ca to barstow ca chunck not long ago it cool to

14. jaxx

jaxx

Tulsa to OKC - the rock cafe - lots of old gas stations - the route 66 museum the old iron bridge in Sapulpa - old and new drive in theaters ( the twin in Tulsa ) lots of sections of the old 66 - jaxx

15. pdq67

pdq67

Ah, the Cadillac Ranch just west of Ammerilia(Sp?)!! Take the south access road to the west and you will be on old Rte. 66. Park on the shoulder and walk through the gate to out in the field to get to them....

It was almost a religious experience to me when I saw it way back when I drove out to SEMA.

It is a tribute to our cars!

pdq67

16. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm partial to 66 in New Mexico just because I get to drive it when I leave the house. It is designated NM state Rt 333 here and there has been a push to get it changed back to 66.
    There is a pre 1936 alignment that crosses the post 1936 alignmet of Rt 66 in downtown Albuquerque. The only place where you can sit on the corner of Rt66 and Rt66. It is at Central Blvd, and 4th street. While in Albuquerque you need to go to Al Unsers racing museum. It is really informative and has some cars that you wont see anywhere else.

You can travel the old Rt66 from Volcano del Vulcan exit fromI-40, west of Albuquerque to Moriarty, NM all the way on old Rt66 for a distance of about 50 miles.

New Laguna (Pueblo) NM is West of Albuquerque some 40 miles and they have a Rt 66 travel center. In the center is a grill. They have a 1/2 pound green chili cheese burger for $3.99. The best you ever had. The wife and I load up and go the 60 mile just to have one.
    Moriarty, NM has the Lewis Antique Auto and Toy Museum. Admission is donation only. Archie Lewis has over 350 cars in their 'as found' condition along with some 35-40 others that are restored. You can walk right up to them, no ropes or barriers. He has his first car, a 1927 model T Ford along with some other exotic earlly T stuff like a 'Fronty' OHV conversion powered T.
    I'll reply to the post later and attach a photo of an old FAP post that is on N Zamora Rd (old 66) that designated that portion of the highway when it was first built.

LJ

17. fiftee6effie

fiftee6effie

Thanks for the info, links, photos, tips!!

18. teejay99

teejay99

Get your kicks on Route 66 !

19. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here is the FAP post. if you don't know it is there you won't see it.
    When they put in I-40 they moved things around. This post is North of the freeway. Cross over at Zuzax to N Zamora rd and then turn East 1/4 mile or so and it is on the right just past the 's' curve sign. I think that qualifies as 'Hidden and out of the way'

LJ

Attached Files:

20. metalman

metalman

Been a big fan off 66 my whole life, have never even lived more then 3 miles from it, ever. Been up and down every inch from Joplin to Santa Monica Someday I'll make it to Chicago!) starting as a kid when it was still "the road". I get sad every trip now, despite all the associations and such preserving it it is still dissappering and nothing is ever going to stop it. See what you can now before there is nothing left. Here in Albuquerque the tear down the old motels, gas stations, cafes ect every day, pure economics and I understand that, the dirt they are on is worth more without them.
    In my opionion Oklahoma is good since lots of little towns on the route and so much of the road is still driveable. Texas and New Mexico the little towns have all but blown away, Arizona really tries to support it but those small towns are following us too. You also have to get off and on the interstate thru these states a lot, a good portion of the original road is gone. One of my personal favorite sections is San Berdo to Santa Monica. Takes awhile but it stayed so populated there isn't miles to cover before you see something Rt 66 related of intrest. IMHO Rest in peace Route 66, It'll will never be back.

21. Blue Moon Garage

Blue Moon Garage

Just a couple taken in 66 west of Albuquerque........
    39 on 66 d.jpg

39 on 66 g.jpg

22. Blue Moon Garage

Blue Moon Garage

A couple more.........

Attached Files:

23. aldixie

aldixie

Drove it from Oklahoma to Needles California was a nice 10 day trip. Did it a couple of years back. Didn't book any hotels other then the diversion we did over to the Grand Canyon.

24. vettes2

vettes2
    from OKC, OK

http://www.seabastation.com

East of Oklahoma City

This place is closed on Wednesdays.
    Old 1924 gas Station is now a motorcycle museum.
    The best part is talking to the guys there and the
    stories they share.

25. Blue Moon Garage

Blue Moon Garage

Just a couple more taken at McCarty's and Budville..........

Attached Files:

26. Fenders

Fenders

Yah and for Oatman bring carrots for the wild -- uh begging for food tame -- burros that come down from the hills and wander the town...
    Or you can buy burro feed in the local general store.

27. xix32

xix32