Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Best Nostalgia Drags In The USA

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FRANKTHETANK, Jan 18, 2015.

1. A friend and I are planning to travel across the country this summer to catch some of the best nostalgia drag show events. We are mostly interested in the 1960's Gasser and Funny Car era and want to know what shows you all have seen that are worthwhile. Thanks, Frank

2. Bugsy48

Bugsy48

The Meltdown Drags should be on the top of your list!!

wingnutz, Torkwrench and squirrel like this.
  3. Saxxon

Saxxon

Meltdown Drags July 17 - 19 Byron Illinois
    By far the best vintage event out there. Right cars, right folks running the show.
    Make sure this event is on your schedule for when you want the trip to peak. Everything else after this will be - "less".

http://meltdowndrags.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Meltdown-Drags/170589576315185

Check out the Southeast Gassers and wait for their schedule to be posted.
    This show is a don't miss as well. They were at Meltdown last year but I haven't heard yet for this year
    http://www.southeastgassers.com/

Beaver Springs Dragway - Jalopy Showdown Sept 26
    There is at least 3 vintage events at this track all with different criteria / focus. The one that seems to get a thumbs up from this sight is the Jalopy Showdown
    http://www.beaversprings.com/

HAMB Drags - Date to be announced

Eagle Field Runway Drags - Various dates and locations

Smaller shows but no less entertaining:
    https://www.facebook.com/EagleFieldRunwayDrags
    [​IMG]

With all due respect to the "big" nostalgia events such as the Bakersfield and Goodguy's events, these tend to be nostalgia in carbon fibre clothing. They have great nitro shows and a smattering of "real" vintage / nostalgia but in the end it's all about billet wheels and modern technology.

Have fun

Last edited: Jan 18, 2015
  4. Eagle Field May 15-17th Firebaugh Calif.
    [​IMG]

5. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Meltdowns for sure and the HAMB drags but sure would be nice to see it turn into a 2 or 3 day event.

6. AHotRod

AHotRod

7. captmullette

captmullette

holley hot rod reunion in bowling green Kentucky in mid june..........1964 and down race cars. tons of old school nostalgia and a great track for spectators.......also car show, upwards of 1500 entries, and swap meet...great camp ground at the track......

ME.GASSER and bobwop like this.
  8. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

9. tylercrawford

tylercrawford
    from Buford, GA
    1. S.F.C.C.

Turtle64 likes this.
  10. Gman0046

Gman0046

By far the best is the NHRA Hot Rod Reunion in Bowling Green KY the middle of June.

ME.GASSER, wingnutz and bobwop like this.
  11. Anywhere these guys are running. HRP

[​IMG]

12. flatheadgary

flatheadgary
    from boron,ca

13. 39-2dr

39-2dr
    from MISSOURI

I would vote for the NHRA Hotrod Reunion in Bowling Green, KY. Iwitnessed the inaugural event. You can't go wrong with 75-80 Willys gassers in one class. My next event would have to be the Meltdown in Illinois. Next up, the Friday night drags at the Leadsled Spectacular in Salina, KS. And finally the HAMB Drags here in Missouri. Get out and see great vintage racecars.

14. Choptop

Choptop

I've gotta put the Billetproof Series of vintage drags out there as a must see. California, Washington and Florida. The California event is new this year and will be on May 15, Friday night, under the lights. Something that I dont know if any other vintage race is doing. The Washington event has really exploded. Amazing track location (in the shadow of Mt. St. Helens) and GREAT turn out. Watch for news about the Florida event coming soon. Some cool things are going to happen there.

One special Billetproof event is the Michigan show, which is held in conjunction with the Detroit DragWay Reunion. Car show on the spectator side of the track, vintage (for the most part) racing all day on the track. Funny Cars and gassers dominate the staging lanes.

for info and dates go to Billetproof.com

Billetproof Hot Rod Eruption Drags, Washington
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Billetproof Michigan Show/Detroit Dragway Reunion:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here are a couple hundred photos from the event:
    http://public.fotki.com/funman1712/11-scale-automotive/2014-billetproof-an/

Billetproof Florida Drags:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Toymaker likes this.
  15. Turtle64

Turtle64

16. There's a nostalgia funny car meet at Quaker City Dragway in Salem, Ohio on May 24th, Thompson Gasser Reunion, Thompson Dragway in Thompson, Ohio June 6 & 7, and closer to home is the Empire Gold Cup, Empire Dragway in Leicester, N.Y. on July 24 - 26.

17. If you want to see Nostalgia Funny cars then The March Meet (Bakersfield, CA) or The Hot Rod Reunion at either Bowling Green or Famoso - If you don't care about Nitro, then listen to the guys above

18. MELTDOWN in Byron, Illinois
    meltdown 2011.jpg

19. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Epping, NH...If you guys don't mention it it won't grow any...Just saying..