Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Best headers for '64 Galaxie with FE and 4 speed.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Russco, Apr 10, 2016.

1. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

I am looking for a set of headers for my Dads '64 Galaxie. Crites has some. Their website says you must use their crossmember and motor mounts. But on the phone he said they will bolt right on with no mention of this. I've also read a few other places that they hang down very low. Has anybody personally used the Crites headers? What about Sanderson shorties? looking for some first hand experience here if possible show some pictures if you can .Thanks.

2. Not much out there... The Sanderson shorties will probably be your best bet, but Hooker still offers a full-length set. The Hookers are multi-piece, so expect leaks....

3. bchctybob

bchctybob

If your Galaxie has the standard rectangular cross section factory log manifolds, virtually any header from shorties on will help it immensely. In my experience most of the headers for '60s Fords (and Chevys for that matter) look like older designs which were not made for cars as low as everyone builds them today. Ford Power Train has a Tri-Y that looks like it would be good for a mostly street driven car.
    I wonder what difference Crites motor mounts makes - they must move the motor? At my shop, I used to move the engines in some hi-po Pontiacs up a little and back to improve the way the header tubes could come off of the head. I did custom headers on a couple '63 Galaxie 427 cars in 2 1/8" tubes that could have benefited from that kind of mod.

4. mikhett

mikhett
    from jackson nj

FPA.Stans great Ive got long tube on my 390.

5. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Thanks for the replies, I'm not terribly worried about the performance factor it's an all stock survivor car my dad bought new, it only has 22k on the clock and is mint. The stock manifolds are cracked and leaking. What I am concerned about it easy install and not having to cut or modify anything on the car. He's thinking the Crites headers will work but I'm pretty sure they hang down too low for street driving (I think they are primarily a drag car header) my understanding is the front 2 tubes go out and under the front crossmember. So I'm hoping somebody on here with a car with Crites on them can provide some first hand experience and a couple pictures maybe. The same with the FPA's and the Sanderson's. I think the Sanderson's will probably fit the bill the best I just want to make sure first. Thanks again

6. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

I had a set of tri-Ys made for my 390FE many years ago. They didn't hang too low and were good with 2.5" system, balance pipe and turbo mufflers. Good sound as well.

7. aaggie

aaggie

I'm not really a Ford fan but the stock cast iron manifolds that look like headres that came on the high perf FEs might be a good choice if you can find a set. At least you wouldn't have to deal with leaks.

8. Totally agree. I had a set from a 390 Mustang that I sold a while back, but those would be perfect in that Galaxie. Headers are a PITA most of the time.

9. Hooker makes a header for a stock galaxie with a 390 FE. Hookers would be period correct as would Thorley who no doubt still makes a Tri Y for them.

10. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

A friend used the Sanderson shorties with success in his 63-1/2 Galaxie with 390/4-speed. I don't think he had any fitment issues at all. His brother also has a pair that he never used and may even sell them. I can check, if you'd be interested. Seems like they've been high-temp coated, too.

11. A few years back when I had a 64 Galaxie, there was a vendor on Ebay that sold reproductions of the factory cast iron headers. There might still be someone out there doing that.

12. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Yes Nick if you could check into that for me. Thanks

13. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

FPA shortys are the way to go for a stocker. They will fit well, and you won't have to cut anything. They worked great on my '62 Monterey.

http://www.fordpowertrain.com/fpaindex/Galaxie1.htm

Also, put a straight edge on the exhaust manifold surface of the heads when you get the old manifolds off. Chances are (FE's are notorious for this) they are at least a bit warped. Always a good idea to pull the heads and have them surfaced, but with only 22K on the clock, they might be good.

Dorman reproduces the original log style manifold if you don't want to dick around with changing exhaust pipes. Should be available at any Napa, Auto Value, etc.

Good Luck.

14. If you want a set of factory cast iron headers I have a set that I might part with, Wont be cheap.

15. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Just checked with him. I guess he's going to hold on to them for now. At least you can still get them from Sanderson...

16. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Thanks Nick I'm looking into the Sandersons and FPA (shorties) and possibly another brand right now.