Register now to get rid of these ads!

Best epoxy for gasoline (or other bright ideas for stripped inlet on holley 1v)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jazzbum, Dec 13, 2011.

1. jazzbum

jazzbum

I used the search first, didn't find anything.

went to change the screw-in fuel filter/clean up the inlet fitting on a holley 1946 and the inlet threads came out with it. i'd ordinarily just tap it a size larger and throw a different fitting on there, but this carb uses a needle and seat in its inlet fitting that has to be there to keep gas off the manifold. this car's been down for a while, and i'm getting pretty sick of not driving it, so i'm awfully damned tempted to just epoxy the fucker back in place. seen jb weld fall apart before, so i'm a little afeared of that. recommendations, fellas?

2. cowboyinachair

cowboyinachair
    from colorado

napa sells a kit to put epoxy threads back in a stripped carb works ok if u put the fitting in and leave it

3. jazzbum

jazzbum

all i could find at mine was oversize self-cutting repair fittings for four barrel carbs, which won't (obviously) work with the little holley--you mean there's an actual epoxy kit of this? any more info on that?

4. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

5. Moneymaker

Moneymaker

POR 15 POR Patch,

Nothing to mix, just apply it and let it sit for 24 hours or longer.

Best shit I have ever used.

6. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Yep...JB Weld held up the fuel fitting on my Chevy II carburetor for over a year of daily driving, till I finally changed the engine..

just clean everything well, a little on the fitting threads, a little on th carb. threads....you should be fine.

Mike

7. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

You might have to make sure the product you use won't be eaten up by some of the new gasoline mixes. I know fiberglass tanks and stuff like that will be destroyed, but not sure if epoxy has that same issue.

Don

8. mr crocket

mr crocket

JB'd a float bowl together on old shovelhead just to get it running.2 years later never leaked a drop.

9. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

J-B weld ..it's all in the preparation !!!!

dave

10. Lucky3

Lucky3

11. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

Fixed it fer ya... :D

12. jazzbum

jazzbum

thanks boys.

moneymaker-is there a store you know of that stocks the por stuff, or is that a strictly online type product?

the jb weld consensus is what i expected. it is pretty good stuff, though, and oh so available. i worry about the constant exposure to fuel, but maybe i'll have to go that way anyhow.

anybody else? i know i'm not the only one this has happened to. don't the holley 94s a bunch of you are running have an inlet needle and seat? what's the fix on those?

13. Richard Head

Richard Head

Marine Tex epoxy. Its supposed to be more fuel resistant than JB Weld. Quadrajet rebuilders use it to seal the leaky plugs in the castings.

Dave

14. I used it to hold the petcock in the flat bottom tank on my pan until I finally rebuilt the entire bike and replaced the tank. That was about 4 years and gawd knows how many miles. The tank developed leaks that got patched with JB weld but the petcock never leaked a drop.

I have used it to repair carbs when i was off roading in S Mexico in the '80s.

I don't know how it will hold up to modern gasoline and additives but it is epoxy resin. I would use the JB weld for aluminum if I was going to do it.

15. Once I cut the entire tank shell off of the bottom of a motorcycle tank .welded it back after dent and holes were fixed....JB Weld over the welds and never a leak in two years use before selling the bike...
    I am convinced it will not deteriorate in gasoline.
    I do however recommend not using the "quick" version offered today -just the old standard JB...

16. hotrod_32

hotrod_32

1 more for the J B weld !

17. jazzbum

jazzbum

you're a loyal bunch, and i salute you for it. guess i'll tube-weld that sucker. here goes nothin'.

18. BACAGrizz

BACAGrizz

I have had great success with white marine tex. Very resistant to gas and oil. Easy to sand and tap. Let it cure completely before messing with it.

19. jazzbum

jazzbum

one thing i've considered is coating the inlet fitting with some type of reasonably stiff grease before i glob on the epoxy, and letting it set up that way, so it sort of taps its own threads as it goes, and is halfway removable later (the fitting)--harebrained?

as for the permatex, i'm not sure about that particular product, but what about the gas tank repair stick they make? anybody have any experience with that? the description seems to have the exact characteristics i'm looking for

20. J Twitero

J Twitero
    from Minnesota

I had the inlet fitting on a rochester 2bbl leaking on me once, couldnt get the new thread cutting fitting to even start, so I tossed the little filter that was in there and smeared it up with JBWeld, never had a problem with leaks for the 2 years it was my daily driver. Still holding fine when I sold the vehicle, havent heard different since.

21. striper

striper

The fitting in the bottom of my fuel tank was leaking. I melted out the solder and replaced it with JB. Constant contact with fuel for 2 years now. Still good. I've since filled a few pinholes in the tank too.

Good stuff.

22. El KaMiNo KiD

El KaMiNo KiD

I used this stuff called Gasoila..i found it on an auction site..it works really good..i used it on my sending unit gasket...not sure if it would work too well in your case though...it doesnt fully harden...those jb weld ideas sound better..

23. tooljunkie

tooljunkie
    from manitoba

i have used the gas tank repair many times with good success,but that putty needs a little space to work.
    i would epoxy or epoxy stick a brass fitting into carb that has the inverted flare to accept your line,then at least the line is removeable.

i also vote for jb weld.