Register now to get rid of these ads!

Best deal on grinding discs ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Don's Hot Rods, Jul 16, 2013.

1. afaulk

afaulk

I've used Klingspore since the late 70s. Consistent top quality products made for heavy industry. Not like the hobbyist stuff you get at home depot. My favorite tool in the shop is a Burr King belt grinder, running a 2"x72" belt. I keep belts in grits from 50 to 1,000. You can do so many different things with them.

2. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

We've really started to use the ones we got from Klingspor and we like them more and more all the time. They last a long time and don't glaze over as fast as the others we have used. I will definitely be buying more stuff from them as we need it.

Don

3. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Hey Don, I don't know if they would work for you but I have grown rather fond of the Klingspor flap discs, the 80 grit ones really cut down metal and leave a very nice finish on parts.

I find myself using these more and more as they dont leave the kind of deep gouges in the surrounding metal that can be left by a typical grinding disc if you dig a little too much :)

http://www.klingspor.com/products/klgprspec.htm

4. Don, could you supply the part #s for the discs?

5. That LubeTube stuff, and Johnsons StickWax sure makes it much easier to grind aluminum without plugging up the discs or bits. You can even use Gulf Wax (canning wax) in a pinch, as it's in most grocery stores. Makes for a lot nicer finish on aluminum. We used it on the Burr King too when we had to edge finish aluminum pieces. You just have to keep the belts separated.

6. Bump Stop

Bump Stop
    BANNED
    from USA

I get my cutting, grinding and sanding discs on Ebay for 1/3 the price of the local stores - free shipping.

7. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Good, I will have to try those.

I'll stop at the shop after work tonight and get you the part numbers off the boxes.

Don

8. metlmunchr

metlmunchr

I've been using Klingspor's stuff for 20+ years. I can buy their zirconia (blue/green) belts for a couple 6x48 belt sanders I've got in the shop for a fair bit less than what 3M gets for aluminum oxide belts (reddish brown), and the Klingspor belts will outlast the 3M belts by 3 or 4 to one.

Back when flap discs were just becoming popular, Klingspor's product wasn't all that great. You'd feel a shower of the abrasive grit coming off the disc and they'd get slick pretty fast. Now they're as good as the Pferd brand sold in a lot of welding supply houses, and about half the price if you buy them direct from Klingspor. On the flap discs the zirconia will also outlast al-ox by miles.

I also use a couple of the Harbor Freight hand held belt sanders that use a 1/2" wide belts for deburring parts. The sanders hold up good for the price, but HF's belts are pure dogshit. Klingspor has belts that fit those too, and a single Klingspor zirconia belt will outlast a ten pack of HF's junk belts.

Strange as it may seem, I've found HF's cutoff wheels for air cutoff tools and 4 1/2" grinders to be as good as any out there, and better than a lot of other brands. Some people are impressed by how long a cutoff wheel lasts, but in truth if a wheel cuts good its going to wear fairly fast since the wear keeps fresh abrasive exposed and keeps it cutting. If you want wheels that'll last forever, get some marketed by Black & Decker in the box stores. They don't wear hardly at all, but they'll take 5 minutes to rub their way thru a piece of steel that a good wheel will cut thru in 15 seconds.

9. Dan Timberlake

Dan Timberlake