Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Best alternators:

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by c-10 simplex, Dec 5, 2016.

1. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

1) What are some good brands of quality alternators? (gm)

2) What is the best alternator, money no object?

2. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

1) Delco
    2) One that works

3. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

What is the best alternator money no object. If you saw an auto electric rebuilder's supply catalog you would find there are about 4 levels of quality for every part, priced accordingly.

If you buy the cheapest parts store alternator you are going to get the cheapest available parts, put together in a 3d world country by someone whose last job description was "coolie".

You can have one rebuilt by a local auto electric shop using the best parts if you want. Find out where the truck drivers and taxi drivers go. Tell them you want the best most reliable alternator regardless of cost.

LOU WELLS likes this.
  4. squirrel

squirrel

gotta tell us what you mean by "best". I consider "best" to be the one that costs the least, and does the job. Surprising how well I've done with the cheap ones.

1927graham likes this.

5. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Keep in mind too even the finest alternator will be crippled by corroded cables and neglected grounds, loose connections. Charging systems don't like any resistance at all in the circuit. Paint especially prevents good electron transfer in restored rods.

6. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

I use a plain old local GM in my Chevy and have a Powergen for my Olds. Different outputs (Amps) for different demands.

7. jeffd1988

jeffd1988

Well this is crazy. Just go to a starter alternator rebuild shop and tell them to put the best bearings in it basicaly and all the other componets. And there you have it. Also you can request how many amps you want it throw out. Like in my area in berkely c.a. there a place that called ( altinators unlimited) and they do starters and all. They are the guys that even the dealers go to when the dealer say we have to send it out for repair. So like previously said sky the limit. But altinator is basicaly trickle charging your battery at operation depend on how much juice your running. Fans radios ect... But you Need to be more specific on how you want us to answer this question..

bobss396 and Hnstray like this.
  8. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yup.

9. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Alternators aren't all that arcane. Here are guys who build alternators out of wood for wind turbines:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I like their low-tech approach and their respect for old stuff. They even use a Model A to test turbines. It makes for a different kind of tree-hugging.

Not that you'd hang anything like that off your engine; just to point out that more is within the reach of a skilled tinkerer than you might think.

10. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Ned,

I wooden say those are quite stator of the art......

Ray

11. CheatersPete

CheatersPete

12. aaggie

aaggie

I found the value of dealing with a genuine armature shop when I was a just starting to discover cars and such. The old man took the time to explain how it all worked and told me to always buy the best parts. His shop looked like it had been through several wars and the floor was dirt. I asked about the floor and was told that when a big armature rolls off of the bench and hits the floor it doesn't break.

38fordpickup, bobss396 and Hnstray like this.
  13. I have a local electric shop do mine. I've been through about 4 shops over the past 40 years and always find a new one when one closes up. I tell them what I want and they take care of it. They did my GM truck starter over and made it a high-torque for $60. A GM alternator without a core ran me $55.

14. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

i meant best in terms of brands.

Just stock; i think the alternator that came with the engine i'm using as originally equipped was/is 37 amps. It's a stock SBC. i'm not running very many electrical appliances. i do have an electric fuel pump, but it's low amp/low pressure for carbs.

Are there any disadvantages with going with higher amp outputs?

i guess i can't go wrong with ac/delco. (hopefully?)

15. Don't remember the amp rating on the alternator in my truck, but it has way more amps than I will ever need. It's an internally regulated GM Delco. I gave $10 for it used, came off a late '70s or early '80s Chevy Caprice cop car that had a second life as a taxi before becoming a donor for part transplants. It's been on my truck about 10 years, hasn't failed yet.