Register now to get rid of these ads!

Best 2 barrel for low buck flathead 6

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by turbostude, Aug 12, 2008.

1. turbostude

turbostude
    from minnesota

I am going to do a little warm-up on a 245" Stude flathead six:
    12 volts, hotter ignition, mill head to 8:1, split manifold.
    I'll make or modify a stock intake to take a two barrel carb. Not worried about it being "period". Wondering what carb might be good to use....easy to tune....cheap to buy. Since it's a custom job, there are no real constraints on size or shape.....I could even use part of some four barrels couldn't I?
    Any ideas?

2. mustangsix

mustangsix

Rochester 2GC is pretty common. Should be easy to find and would work well.

3. Moloko

Moloko

Another vote for the 2GC.

4. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

i like the weber 5200 from stovebolt six. Have one on my car and it works well. its progressive.

5. turbostude

turbostude
    from minnesota

Looks like I can get a remanufactured 2GC for as little as $99. It flows 275 cfm. I see some 2GC's which are apparently rated at 500 cfm. Are there any easy ways to tell which is which?

6. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

I have a hot rod with a 2GC. It works well.

But I also have a hot rod with two Autolite / Motorcraft 2100 / 2150 style carbs. I really prefer the Ford Autolites for several reasons:

1. They are DIRT CHEAP to buy - I pay $5 - $10 for them at swap meets.
    2. They are EASY to work on - easily disassembled with a screwdriver and a pair of needle nose pliers. No special tools required
    3. Jets are the same as all Ford V8 carbs. Power valves too - Holley power valves work too.
    4. The mounting pattern is the same as Holley 2-barrels
    5. The fuel bowls don't have leak sources like Holleys - the top of the carb comes off to access the jets, float, Power valves, etc. You can even idle the engine with the top removed.
    6. They come in several venturri sizes - and the venturri size is cast on the outside of the carb for easy identification. So, for example if you want a single 2V a 1.21" (originally 351 and 400 V8) large venturii or a 1.08" (302 V8) could work, or for multiple carbs use 1.08" or earlier 1.02" or 1.01".

Good luck with your project.

7. turbostude

turbostude
    from minnesota

More good ideas! I'll check 'em out.