Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical besides vintage speed and Speedway 2x2's

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pug}{maN, Mar 19, 2014.

1. Koz

Koz

Your experience with them and mine are totally different. I'm really surprised at what your telling me because I have only gotten top notch stuff from him. Also, He's the only one I know of with the adapter for the Rochesters, which whether or not you like them, are vastly better carbs than any of the 3 bolters. He is occasionally a little slow but the quality has always been worth it to me. I'm assuming you purchased a used setup, (just because of the pitting issues and the Bondo),? My question is, did you contact him and did he resolve the problem?

2. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

Glad to hear you've had good experiences. Mine was a drawn out ordeal. Of course my setup was used. We're talking '97's on a Y-block here. I sent him 3 VERY nice large logo 97's expecting to get my carbs back rebuilt. What I received many many months later was 1 small logo and 2 no logo's. 2 of the three had holes patched in the top. When I asked what happened to my carbs, he said he had to use them on a famous hot rod restoration that the owner was in a hurry to get it done for a show. WTF!!! The intake was a joke too. I sent a nice early Olds Edmunds intake in trade for a Y-block. What he sent was crappy with Bondo & pits. After wasting 2 sets of gaskets trying to get it to seal I gave up. It was a PIA getting him to except it back and send me another. Of course I had to pay shipping and the next one I got had weld repair done to it. The linkage he sent was "new" but it wouldn't grab the shafts. The middle one was really a joke with a set screw attempting to hold it on. I pitched that crap and used some old Eelco parts. And of course I sent a bunch of cash besides my carbs & intake trade. He is the only vendor I will bash in public because his attitude was so horrible. And believe me, in the 30 years I've been building cars I've dealt with plenty of other bad vendors.

3. Koz

Koz

Sorry to hear that. No excuse for using your carbs on something else.

4. Jammin'

Jammin'

Here's what I just got back from Dick's Hot Rod Carbs. I sent him only the manifold.

Attached Files:

5. Sweet ! Cant wate to see mine...

6. tnich123

tnich123

Ok I will throw my 2 cents in as well .. I have the dual carb vintage speed adaptor on my truck as well. No complaints with the adaptor but I did decide to have it polished by another advertiser on the HAMB. I wish I would have left it as it came the polisher shaved off the vintage speed logo.
    As for Dicks Hot Rod carbs I had the pleasure of meeting him at his house three times to talk carbs. The man knows what he is doing and does some nice eye candy stuff. The only reason I didnt use him was cost. I was able to beat his price but have since spent more than I saved reworking the carbs. I am not trying to throw the builder under the bus since it takes a lot of things to really make these carbs run. You have to consider the distributor advance/weights,vacuum issues, acc. linkage, fuel pressure and fuel delivery, and just a worn motor.
    But my big mistake came when I called Dick to ask questions about the carbs that I had built by someone else. After thinking about that I emailed Dick and called him to appologize. It wasnt fair of me to ask him questions about something someone else had built.
    This thread has made me relize that I owe Dick a public apology. Dick I know you keep up on the HAMB so accept my sincere apology for our conversation.
    As for Vintage speed goes I have great success with his parts and getting some advise from Charlie.
    Bottom line make sure you know what you want and do your homework to make sure you have all the pieces in place to make the combo work. There are lots of good quality people on the HAMB that know what they are doing including the guy that built my carbs. The real problem in my case was just a worn out motor.

7. RICK R 44

RICK R 44

have the Vintage Speed 2GC set up on a Nailhead in my 51 Meteor. Works great, run on one carb for economy and both carbs for showing off. He set up the progressive linkage so that the secondary carb kicks in at about 3/4 throttle. To me, it looks like kool 50's. I ordered it by telephone, sent the money and had a friend pick it up when he was in FL. he checked it over before giving it to my friend, was not satisfied with the quality of the fuel line, so re worked it while my buddy waited. Overall I am very satisfied with both product and service. My thoughts, use the old fashioned telephone and forget about e mail. I find it difficult to have a meaningful discussion with a computer screen.

8. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

seeing as how my car ended up as your reference picture, I figured I would add my 2 cents. The adapter on my car was machined to match exactly the shape of the 4 barrel opening. Clark Bates did the entire intake. I bought another one and bolted it onto my manifold. The Vintage speed adapter ( and the rest as near as I can tell ) do not fit the manifold like the one in the picture. Hope you are not disappointed with what you get.

My car came with 2 94's on it. They had plugged power valves.........I replaced them with 2 Stromberg 48's. The car was never meant to be a screamer. It was meant to be just good looking. YEs !! a 4 barrel would have run better and probably would have been more efficient. I was sold on multiple carbs so a 3 deuce setup fit my needs more. I would imagine you will find yourself in the same situation at some point. My car is still not a 1/4 mile machine. It is a stop light to stop light kind of car. Make sure you know what you want before you spend your money

This looks much better than the original 2 x 2 setup

[​IMG]

9. on their website it specifically states to email them it works better for them

10. turned out just the way I wanted to, In a timely manner, still waiting for an email from Vintage speed

Attached Files:

11. forgot to mention dick through in a little surprise in the box for me a cool vacuum advance cover

12. opunui

opunui
    from Honolulu

I am having Dick build me a multi -setup using 4 deuces. I just shipped the top of my plenum off of my tunnel ram to him. I have talked with him and like his honesty. I will post pics later on the set up.
    Aloha,

13. thunderplex

thunderplex

Nicson made a sbc 2x2 intake but locating one for sale is tough.

14. mike bowling

mike bowling

I like Pauls approach- if you can't find what you like, make it. I had a buddy who is an amazing machinist ( with one arm thanks to a tree he hit on his Harley) make an intake top plate out of aluminum for two single bbl. Holleys I got at a flea market and rebuilt(originally off Plymouth slant six's). Looked and ran pretty good for homebrew rig.On a 302 Ford motor. Camera 2-20-09 102.jpg