Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bending tail lt. lenses

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jay71, Mar 15, 2011.

1. Jay71

Jay71

Putting some Buick lenses in my 55. They need to be widened a bit. Wondering if anyone has done this and what your technique was. Heat in oven then bend, heat with heat gun, etc. Worried about cracking them. These are old lenses so I'm trying not to ruin them. Any help is much appreciated.

2. ZomBrian

ZomBrian
    from in IN

I've heard a heat gun works. Long ago I had read that submerging them in hot water makes them a little more pliable, also. I haven't tried either.

Be careful and don't burn yourself.:cool:

3. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

4. Jay71

Jay71

Thanks for the link Finnrodder. Some useful information there.

5. Kensey

Kensey
    from Pittsburgh

My dad said they used to throw them in the over for a few minutes.

I'd practice on a not needed pair if I were you.

6. Jay71

Jay71

Well set the oven to 270F and put one lens in for a few minutes. Pulled it out and it was all warped to hell.:mad: Back to the drawing board. Next one I'll use a heat gun. Anyone have an extra 56 Buick tail light lens?:eek:

7. Truckedup

Truckedup

I believe that not all types of plastic can be heated and reshaped without going to shit.Maybe you need a mold to help keep it from warping as it's heated?

8. StanDaManTX

StanDaManTX
    from The South

Wow, 270 is way to hot. I was pulling lenses apart and blacking them out on Late Models for a while to make some money. Not sure on the old stuff. I would set them on a coolkie sheet, and get the oven set way low. I believe it was only like 115 degrees for 10 to 12 mins. That made the glue really soft so I could pull the housing from the lens. It also made the lense more pliable. If you are carefull and watch them I am sure you could use this technique to bend some lenses out a little. 270 is way too hot though lol. (less heat and more time>more heat and less time)