Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bending Stainless Fender Welt

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 39 All Ford, Aug 27, 2011.

1. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

Well did the search thing and posted to an existing thread, but since my post was buried on the second page, and my question is not in the context of the thread title, I don't think it was getting much exposure, so I deleted the other post... :D

A couple of years ago I bought some stainless welt, and today I tried to bend it to fit my fenderwell. I haven't had a lot of luck with this yet.

The welt bead itself is a lot like a piece of 3/16" stainless tube, with the cloth inserted into a slit.

When trying to bend the welt on an inside curve, the tube kinks "right now" on either side of the slit.

I have considered that a series of these kinks might be the way to do this, if the kinks wont show.

Ok, the question in short form, is for those who have used this stuff. How did/do you bend this stuff?

Also, does anyone have some pictures of this stuff on their cars? I had thought it would look pretty good, but I hate to think of spending the kind of time it is looking like I will need to spend fitting this stuff only to find out I don't like it.... :D

Last edited: Aug 27, 2011
  2. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

If its like the 'Black' plastic fender webbing I used on my tub, I just put in position and determined where it was kinking. That's where it needed to be bent so I cut a few thin pie sections in the flat tab that bolts between the fender and the body to allow it to bend to the right contour? I bolted the fenders to body and didn't tighten the bolts as I left them slightly loose so the webbing would slip into place. After you punch out the attaching holes do a few trial fits. Once it fits the contour nip up the bolts and ensure an even fit all around. Is this what you mean?

3. niceguyede

niceguyede
    from dallas

If it has a flat part that goes inbetween the fender and the body, a shrinker/stretcher works wonders and saves you a lot of time and grief!! Otherwise, like stumpy said, lots of pie cuts.

4. Cut Small ( V's ) Along The Fabric Part And Work Slow, On Sharper Curves Use Larger
    ( V's ) . Main Thing Don't Let Fabric Over Lap. Rember Work Slow. It'll Work.

5. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

Thanks for the answers I am going to give it a try.

From what I have encountered so far, I am concerned that the stainless tub is just not malleable enough that it wont kink at the slit before bending.

edit> On trying the tips listed here, cutting the flap makes a HUGE difference, bigger than I thought, while it is going to be a long tedious process, it now looks possible where a couple days ago it was going to be impossible....

Thanks.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2011