Register now to get rid of these ads!

Belly tank builder community transmission help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fordsteel, Mar 31, 2009.

1. fordsteel

fordsteel
    from Elkland PA

Still in the drawing stage of my belly tank build you know 5lbs of shit in a 1lb bag. So my issue is do I go with the old style and use no transmission. just push start and a clutch. Or do I use an early for side shift transmission where the final drive is still 1:1.
    I was thinking a T5 from a 4wd jeep because it is short and has over drive. but shifting that remotely seams about impossible.
    so id there some great side shift trans with OD that isnt really long like the old ford ones? Or do I go with no trans for ease, space and weight .

The engine will be a flat head model A 4 banger, with full pressure oil, insert mains and rods, H beam rods, jE pistons, 2 stromburg 97s, and lion speed head with 6.5 compression, mild cam. and some other goodies

so here are some numbers I calculated roughly
    with a 31" tall tire in all cases

2.73:1 rear ratio 1:1 into trans 3000rpm gives a top speed of 101mph

2.73:1 rear 1:1 into trans 3500 rpm gives a top speed of 118 mph

2.73:1 rear 1:1 into rear 4000 rpm gives a top speed of 135 mph

3.10:1 rear 1:1 into rear 4000 rpm gives a top speed of 119 mph

Im thinking a well built balanced, inserted and pressure oiled model A block should handle 2 min runs and a sustained stay at 4000 rpm
    at least I hope so

So what do you think of running no transmission?
    and is 2.73 rear gears to low?
    this is for a 3 mile run at bonneville
    and a push start to about 20 mph should be sufficient to get this going?

tell me what you think. ive built a few hot rods but this is my first lakester

thanks for your help

2. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

My V4F roadster likes a four speed. Maybe if you push it up to 60 or so. No reason for an OD unless that is the only shift your planning on making. I would plan on at least a two speed. Don't need much transmission for that motor and linkage is easy. You can find some small three speed and remove first and reverse.

3. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

Post your question on the "Landspeed Addicts" social group, you may have a better response.....

On second thought, I just noticed one of the Guru's just responded to your question....

4. Rex Schimmer

Rex Schimmer
    from Fulton, CA

Like Rich Fox said you need a fast push truck!

Rex

5. fordsteel

fordsteel
    from Elkland PA

Yeah I like that idea of an early side shift 3 speed with first and reverse removed. then there is just on shift in it and then the push should not need to be more then 20 to 25 to start nicely in 2nd gear

thank you Rich for your help

6. jetmek

jetmek

sounds like a cool project but i feel that with 6.5 :1 and a mild cam and 273's 4000 is is going to be a lot to expect. maybe someone more experienced could offer an opinion but i would gear it a lot deeper...

7. fordsteel

fordsteel
    from Elkland PA

Yeah I also going larger intake valves and looking into some slightly domed pistons to raise the compression ratio to 7:1 or slightly more. dont no really just hoping to build the engine to withstand the higher rpms. But I went with the lion speed head because of the horse power curves that head was making. engine staying together is my main concern

8. A mate and I are going through the motions of putting a banger together as a bit of a project. Are there any referance threads for someone that has gone through this in detail.

What are you planning for the crank? New?
    283ci pistons rings in my head, can these be used in a banger?
    It would also be interesting to see what has been done for the oiling system.

9. Bearing Burner

Bearing Burner
    from W. MA

I would definetaly run a transmission. With you being on the East Coast you wil lwant to tune up and debug at Maxton and a transmission willdefinalely bean asset. Johnnie Wafrord has run 107 at Maxton in a bange roadster.He uses a T-5 I believe

10. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

True story is that the first time I took the roadster to El Mirage with the V4F motor in it, the clutch linkage fell out on the ground while in line almost to the front. I decided to push it off in 3rd and bang it into 4th. Well the push off went OK but the bang 4th didn't so it ran all the way in 3rd. Went 104 on a 100 min. Got the record. With 4 speeds and the same tune it went 107. With more gas it went 113.750. But that was with Plymouth power so I had an advantage.

11. fordsteel

fordsteel
    from Elkland PA

I have a B crank with sweated on counter weights.

283 pistons can be used in a banger with some modification. From what I hear JE piston can set you up with any special or custom piston you want and the price isent to bad

sent you a pm about information on pressure oiling and insert mains