Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Bell Housing / Starter part

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Canuk40, Feb 22, 2016.

1. Canuk40

Canuk40

On the backside of the bell housing, there is a “cup” that accepts the starter shaft as it engages the flywheel.
    Is this “cup” available as a separate part? Mine has been worn through closest to the ground (likely from too many unpaved roads).
    Both Bob Drake and the Ford Barners agree that it is not a part (with a number), so I'm guessing that I need to connect with someone who has one as a spare or an idea how to get one.
    Please PM me if you can help. Thanks.

2. What kind of engine are you working on?

3. Canuk40

Canuk40

It's a C59A (Canadian car), exact year undetermined. C7RA-A embossed on heads. Intake has number 1A-6520-C2. Can't get to bell housing at the moment.

4. Its not likely that the bell housing has a removable part where the nose cone for the starter meets the flywheel. I think that is what you are asking correct? if you can bolt the starter up then the cover is not necessary, or you can fix it with 200 MPH tape.

5. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I used a Power Master Gear Reduction Starter and tacked a freeze plug over the hole. Not traditional but it worked.

6. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

If you have the original cup, perhaps a little patch work can be done on it. The press fit lip, and as much of the cup as is still good, can be cut off and a new cup shaped from light sheet metal (16,18 or 20 ga).
    A strip coiled into a circle the diameter of the remains, welded together should work just fine. Salvage the original, or make a new end cap, and you have it.

If you don't have the original, or it is too wasted, form the new cup as described above and tack weld it directly to the bellhousing and caulk the seam.

Ray

7. Glenn Thoreson

Glenn Thoreson
    from SW Wyoming

The '49 - '52 truck aluminum bellhousing has a cup that can be removed.
    Not likely you'll find anyone who wantsto sell that cup, though. As stated, some welding and fabrication may be the only answer. All the thing does is keep dirt and water out of the bell housing. Kind of important. You might want to try contacting Wells auto salvage in Wellington, Texas. They are listed in the HAMB ads for services. (HAMB o'dex)

8. BJR

BJR

Measure the diameter of the hole, go to NAPA and start measuring replacement cups from the front hubs of cars. The one that keeps the dirt out of the outer bearing.

9. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

You should see if the end of a 28-9 Model A hub cap or Model T dust cap could be made to work. It would have the Ford logo embossed on it which would be way cool,

Last edited: Feb 22, 2016
  10. 4dFord/SC

4dFord/SC

I seem to recall someone saying they'd used a PVC cap.