Register now to get rid of these ads!

Behind a pile of motors, in between some Buicks, and under some tin, Model A find....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Nick Flores, Dec 13, 2012.

1. 30dlxcoupe

30dlxcoupe

That's a 1931 Model A Ford slant window Cabriolet body, approximately 7400 made.

volvobrynk likes this.
  2. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

So I'm at Bonneville, sitting in line waiting to run course #2. Is it weird that I'm thinking about wanting to get home and finish this damn car? I swear updates are coming....

volvobrynk likes this.
  3. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

No, your setting records at Bonneville! Stick to the plot dammit!

volvobrynk likes this.
  4. Man some guys have all the luck!

5. chevy54man

chevy54man
    from NC

What an awesome find! I never seem to be that lucky :(

6. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

OK OK OK.... I'm home once again and as it stands we hold the XXO/PRO record at 149.336mph. Once I get all the Bonneville crap sorted out and put away, I'll get back to work on the Cabriolet. Gimme a few days.

volvobrynk likes this.
  7. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

life is good...

8. 41GASSER

41GASSER

Very cool find, I have had very few great finds but all is well when it happens. Keep posting the photos.

9. BRAINS!

BRAINS!

that thing is f*cking awesome!

volvobrynk likes this.
  10. diamonddrew

diamonddrew

Any updates?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

11. i 2nd that .... update(s) ...???

cool thread and love reading about find(s) =)

12. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

I was all fired up to get to work on the cabrio when we got back from Bonneville, but things have been crazy, lots of work and me and Lady Flores have been house hunting. I felt bad because just before we left for Salt we had to put the car back outside under a tarp for a couple months, but now the old girl is back under cover sitting on concrete and I've even put a little work in, mostly little, uninteresting things like wiring, all new brake lines, fuel lines, and some general cleanup of the more shady bits.

volvobrynk likes this.
  13. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

14. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

He and Lady Flores moved to house about a mile from me downtown and have been busy feathering the nest. Work has been kicking his ass a bit as well, but I know soon the Cabrio will be back on the front burner.

15. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

Thanks Chris

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  16. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

The Cabby is on the back porch right now... I put a few minutes into it here and there but I really need some time to just finish the damned thing. My list is; finish fuel system, connect a few wires, make sure the clutch is going to work, and put the interior back in it. Seems like a short list, but life has not been cooperating.

Also, if "feathering the nest" includes piling up Mercury panels and parts in the living room, toolboxes in the hallways, and fuel tanks in the garden I probably should bring some flowers home to the Lady Flores....

17. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

DOOOOOD!!!
    Last time we spoke you just casually threw out,
    "Oh yea, I have to move the Model A". Like it was a drag.
    I thought maybe he needs a 292 to keep it all Ford.
    I just was cruzin the HAMB here and this came to muy attentioon.
    Good on ya!!

18. 4 banger 4 life

4 banger 4 life
    from ohio

Hell ya nice score.... shes a rare bird.....

19. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What a treasure trove! Nice score!

20. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

Moving it by man power is not as much fun as moving it under it's own power... or so I've been told czuch.

Also, the only _92 that ill ever put in a hot rod would be a 392...

21. Uptown83

Uptown83

Would love to restore that thing :eek:

22. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

I saw this tank laying around at the shop, so I commandeered it for the '31. The filler neck needed movin' so I hole sawed it and swindled Bryan into tig welding it since I stink at making pretty welds. To mount it, I reused the 1" square tubing that held the old gas tank because its been in the car since who knows when, already cut to the proper length and has experience in the holding of fuel tanks department. There was some 3/4" x 1/8" or so aluminum on the rack that I used to make the straps. This whole deal doesn't really "fit" the car 100%. It will however be pretty well outta sight and frees much room in the rumble seat space to make a small trunk of sorts.

The fuel pump, filter, and stuff is pretty much a pump, filter, and some stuff. I ran some copper line along the frame up to the fire wall, through a pressure regulator to the fuel block. This junk won't help win any beauty pageants but should assist with making some noise soon.

I just want to drive this thing already.....

Attached Files:

volvobrynk likes this.
  23. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

Spent the last couple night buttoning up little things, and tightening stuff. I plan on yanking the transmission out this weekend. GasserSteve and I played around with the hydraulics last week and the pressure plate or throw out bearing or something is locked up. This is the only car that I HAVE to work on this week and I'd really like to drive it to the Southwest Nostalgia Drags on the 22nd. Goal set, time to execute.

volvobrynk likes this.
  24. luke13

luke13

awesome thread.

25. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

Got this thing up on the lift tonight with intentions of pulling the trans, trying to sort out why the clutch won't clutch. Worked on some little things instead. Bled brakes, found leaky fittings, re-bled brakes. Made some studs and mounted air filters. Figured out I may have rebuilt the clutch slave incorrectly, will pull and inspect tomorrow. Still have lots to do before saturday....

volvobrynk likes this.
  26. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

I tried posting pictures last night but it didn't work. Not sure if its because im using the HAMB app or if im just dumb. It's probably me....

Anyhow, I wasn't happy with the brakes so I re-adjusted them tonight, they're working better now. Took the clutch slave out and found the bore to be nearly .042 larger than the piston.... new part arrives tomorrow. While the car is up in the air I also figured out the lower radiator hose. I'll have to bring my sample piece up to the parts place tomorrow because its .250 too small.

Still have quite a ways to go, but it seems like I might make my goal of at least showing the car at the Southwest Nostalgia drags on Saturday.

Now, lets try those pics again....
    Edit.... it didn't work.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
    volvobrynk likes this.
  27. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

Wow... What an incredible find! Can't wait to see how it looks once it's back on the road!

Hopefully you can get those pics to upload, can't wait to see more of it!

28. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

Two steps forward and three steps back tonight. New slave cylinder showed up, but I'm an idiot and didn't pay attention to the fact that it would never bleed with the bleeder on the bottom. Duh. So I tricked it into working, but then discovered the fitting was too shallow. Out came the cutter and flare tool. New fitting, seems to be slaving, but the clutch or throw out bearing or the chingaderra is stuck. Then I banged my head on a frame rail and decided enough is enough for one day.

volvobrynk likes this.
  29. Cool build and I am enjoying the descriptions. Good times ahead!

30. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Ya, that and the janky lift making sounds like it wanted to kill me! Didja do the hose and fake it thing?