Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Before start up questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 46poncho, May 17, 2020.

1. 46poncho

46poncho
    from Indiana

I am getting my engine close to its first start. I am GB oing to soak my lifters in oil, how long should I soak them?
    How long will an oil pump hold a prime???

Sent from my SM-S367VL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. brokedownbiker

brokedownbiker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My (limited) opinion-
    I've always primed the oil pump and just prior to the start-up. Two methods- One, use an oil pump tool and a drill to spin the pump until you have pressure on the gauge and oil to the rockers. Two, turning the engine over without the coil wire attached until oil gets up to the rocker arms to get oil everywhere and see pressure rising on the gauge. Number one is by far the better method. Then install the distributor, time it and fire it up
    Lifters? I've gone as long as a day or two between soaking lifters and start-up, never had a problem.

There are a lot of older wiser folks here, give it awhile and you will get more opinions.

46poncho likes this.
  3. I guess I’m different, I’ve never “soaked” lifters. I use moly cam lube on the bottom and engine oil in the bores. No problems ever.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

egads and 46poncho like this.
  4. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Put the lifters, hydraulic style, in a can of oil, take a old push rod and work the lifter while submerged in oil. It will fill the lifter and ready to install in minutes instead of days.

And while I'm at it with adjustable valve train, I install lifters, install valve train. Then once installed I rotate cam until lifters on bottom of cam lobe. Take a small paper clip and bend into a small "L"

I tighten down the preload until I can just fit that small paper clip between plunger and snap ring in lifter. Gives a .015 clearance. Then I lock the preload and move to the next. I've done every engine I've built it the last 40 years this way and never had to adjust valve lash or lifter noise ever.

In fact last one I did 5 yrs ago (sbc) the owner bet me 20 bucks it wouldn't work. I made an extra 20 on that job.

It gives almost zero back lash which gives a smoother idle, less chance of lifter float, lifter bind etc.

5. Gasoline Junkie

Gasoline Junkie

6. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

On the few engines I've built I've used a pressure tank to get oil pressure prior to starting. On a 289 I borrowed a pressure tank that the automotive machinist made from on old pressurized brake bleeder tank. Dumped the oil into the tank and connected it. Put 50 pounds pressure to the tank and all was good. On the flathead I did a couple of years ago I used an old paint pressure pot. Same result. Or you can use a cheap plastic garden sprayer and get the same thing.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  7. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Making a little pressure/vacuum tank like that is a mighty handy thing to have around the shop. You just mentioned pressurizing a new engine with it. With a little modification you can draw a vacuum on it with your A/c evacuator and remove fluids from things like power steering pumps, small gas tanks, master cylinders, etc. I used one all the time when I had my commercial shop!

Bones

51504bat likes this.