Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Bearing clearance for 1937 Willys kingpins, after chrome

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by txcr13, Dec 14, 2018.

1. txcr13

txcr13

Recently replaced kingpins and bearing on a 1937 Willys axle. When I removed the old bearings, each had approximately 0.015 to 0.020 thousands of shims on them, and the fits were real good and snug with the spindle/axle.
    When I put the new bearings in, one side only needed 5 thousands but the other side was tight enough that it did not need shims and I had to bump the spindle it into place with a rubber mallet.

My question is what can I do to make the axle and spindles fit after I take them in for chroming? I know the tight side will be even more of an issue. I have read various articles about how much thickness chrome adds, but the references seem to be specific to the chrome layer only, not including the nickel layer(s) or any copper that might have been required. My thought is to try and determine what the thickness of nickel and chrome layers will be, then measure my bearing & axle combined thickness and do any machining on the spindles before chrome and reassembly.
    This is new to me so I would appreciate any advice on how to go about it.
    Thanks.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Easiest way to do this is have the plater mask off that area, no machining needed...

nugget32, txcr13 and RMONTY like this.
  3. oldolds

oldolds

If you take too much off, you can use the shims to take fix it. You already have an idea what you need. Just make an educated guess. Or do what Steve said

4. RMONTY

RMONTY

Perfectionism is a curse, isnt it? There are a lot here that suffer from it.

5. txcr13

txcr13

Thanks, gents. Not looking for perfection here, just want my pieces to fit together without having to ruin any of the newly applied, expensive chrome.

6. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

I used a film of silicon when I had my Jag IRS chromed and smeared all the internal universal joint and shaft surfaces. Once chromed I had to have them heated treated for hydrodrogen embrittlement. All that was left was cleaning up the residue and a swipe with fine emery paper. Everything went together nicely. Just be careful of chrome edges, they are sharp.

txcr13 likes this.