Register now to get rid of these ads!

Be thankful for your dads

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HotRod60F100, Feb 14, 2006.

1. AZAV8

AZAV8
    from Tucson, AZ

HotRod60F100,
    Sorry to hear about this. We will pray for your Dad, you and your family.

The rest of you,
    Hear him. I lost my Dad in '75 to cancer. I still miss him.

2. stretchnm

stretchnm

May God richly bless you in your remaining time with your father. These may be some of your best memories because you know time is short. My father went to bed one night and never woke up. I remember looking at his casket in his grave and thinking ` he never told me he loved me`(though I know he did). Lots of things would have been discussed had we not run out of time. Don`t let that happen to you.
    Again, God bless.
    Stretch

3. I lost my Dad some five years ago. We had drifted apart and I didn't bother to get in touch - I found out he had died when someone sent me an email to say the funeral had been a few weeks back.

I regret those lost years and can never make amends for it. Enjoy what you have now - tell him everything you want him to know.

4. Flatman

Flatman

I lost my dad to cancer two years ago, so I know where you're at man.
    Make the most of the time and be there for your mother...
    Think of the things in him that you're most proud of and emulate them.

Flatman

5. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

I am gonna make a suggestion.
    go get a tape or mp3 recorder and get your dad to sit down with you and tell you some stories. We have been doing this with my wifes 94 year old grandpa, and every word is solid gold,man. (it will also make you cry your eyes out,but hey...)the amazing thing is, there will be one (or more) funny part, and no matter how many times you hear it, you will laugh like it was the first time.
    I know how bad this sucks.I never knew my dad, but I lost my grandfather in 84 to cancer. closest thing I ever had to a father.I feel for you and yours, and hope You are doing alright.

I gotta go. Tell your dad 2 or 3 thousand gearheads said hello.
    'Night
    Lux

6. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

Cancer........:mad:

I lost my Father on November the 3rd 2004. He was 83 years old.

He beat WWII
    He beat Korea
    He beat a Heart Attack ( 1979 )

But Cancer......got the better of him...

IF you smoke.....STOP......

I miss him every day......

7. Chris P

Chris P
    from Tucson

That is such an ausome idea, I lost my grandpa 7 years ago this october. He was my inspiration into the car world i was only 8 at the time so i realy did'nt have much atention span to learn from him. But just seeing what he built inspired me. Being that i was so small and it was almost 7 years ago i dont even rember what his vioce sounded like even if i could just hear his voice 1 more time i would be content i say listen to LUX and record him telling you favorite jokes and stuff but make it a happy thing not a sad thing. There is nothing you can do at this point but acept the fact that he will sadly no longer be with his loved ones but. Rember that he is going to a better place with no pain, and 32s as far as the eye can see. My thoughts are with you, Chris

8. MercMan1951

MercMan1951

We all deal with these life events in different ways.

Obviously, spend the time you thought you could get in the future with him now.

Also, I believe the human body can repair itself to some degree, how else do you explain all the cases we hear about where someone has "6 months to live" and ends up carrying on quite normally 5-10 years beyond? Positive attitude.

My mom was diagnosed at 55 with colon Cancer. She had a good prognosis, but now it's something I have to worry about because of genetics. She made a full recovery and as of this moment is still cancer-free. We are all very supportive that it won't return.

My Dad is in good health, and although I outpace him by far automotive-wise (don't ask, I have no idea where I got it from) he still won't bite when I try to get us a father-son project...to spend time together (in my eyes.) I keep thinking in my head that I want us to share some quality time together, because he is getting older (almost 60) and I know that sooner or later our time together won't be possible...but you can't make someone do what they don't want.

I really miss my Grandpa, he was my best bud. I got my start on doing bodywork from him, at age 10 or so. I was 4 hours away when he passed and they sat me down for the "son, we have some bad news" story 2 days later...I really miss him...but I do have access to a lot of video we took back when times were good, and to the point made above, it's fun/sad to watch...I can hear his voice/laugh whenever I want to now, since it's burned into my brain.

I guess my point is, enjoy the times you spend with family, no matter how cheesy it may seem...your life isn't going to continue on the way you're used to it being- forever. This is something I've come to realize only within the last year. You kinda expect things to be a certain way, or people to be around forever, but that's not reality... the important thing is to make sure everyone knows how much you care about them while they're here. And to learn from them so that you can carry on their legacy.

You & your family are in my thoughts...

Mercman

9. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

The best thing I can say at this time is to second what Hot Rod Pro has posted. In the end it's our relationship to God and his son Jesus Christ that will hold the promise for eternity. If you don't know him, seek him out today and help your father to do so also while there is stilll time. As the years go by you will come to realize it as the best thing you've never done for him. My prayers go out to you and your family at this difficult time.

Frank

10. Flathead Youngin'

Flathead Youngin'

i'm really sorry dude.......we'll say a prayer for you dad and family.....

i wish my dad and i were closer.....

11. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

i usually avoid these threads, but i really understand your pain, just try and enjoy the time you have with him and make it as special as possible.

12. JimSibley

JimSibley

Flathead youngin.
    Call your dad.

13. I almost didn't open this post because of what I knew it would contain.I'm glad now that I did.
    All the suggestions set forth so far are great ideas and I hope you are able to follow through on some of them at least.
    I didn't get to meet my father until I was nearly 44 years old.My parents had been divorced before I was born and my mother was never one to share information about him.I was raised primarily by my grandparents and although they were good to me(especially my grandfather who first spiked my interest in cars),I always knew there was something missing in my life.
    I got to know my father over the 8 remaining years he had on this earth and they were most satisfying.We didn't always agree on everything but the one thing we did have was we LISTENED to one another speak.
    He was quite a character.He'd been married at least 7 times(we STILL don't know how many other little Smiths are out there running around)and always on his birthday so he wouldn't forget his anniversary I guess and was until the end a no bullshit person.There is NOT a day that goes by that I don't think of him and I lost him 10 Christmases ago.
    His final wish was to have his ashes scattered over his parent's grave in Vermont which my brother and I did after a little party in his honor.
    Sorry for the rant but please do make whatever time remains quality time.

14. mikhett

mikhett
    from jackson nj

I feel your pain my dads in a rest home with alzheimers disease but body wise hes healthy as a horse but the minds gone.It runs in my family on my dads side so im living my remaining years like theres no tommorrow,hot rods,workin on em restorin em and when the good lord takes me so be it.There may be a little partyin goin on also im 55 yrs old and couldnt do this when i was younger but my heart goes out to you.mike

15. Sorry to hear about your Dad. I must be a lucky dude. My dad will be 89 this year.(drives like he's 17) He's the reason for my love of cars in general, rods in particular. He let me tear into old engines he had laying around,and he had plenty, a real packrat. (lived through the depression). A machinest for 45 years and very sharp, A real thinker. Losing it a little now but still great to be around, good hotrod stories. I still strive to be more like him. Good luck to you and your Dad. Mike

16. blue57ford

blue57ford

I too am choking up as I read these posts. My prayers are with you, your dad, and your family.

17. FONZI

FONZI

That is horrible news. I wish you the best. I hope that you guys get to spend some quality time together. I cherish the memories that I have of my dad. I lost him when I was 13.

FONZI

18. rebstew187

rebstew187

I understand how you feel I just found out not 2 long ago that my dad has cancer.hope you spend as much time with him as you can.me and my dad are very close and I am scared to death to face what is going to happen.may God give us all the time we need to get everything out we need to say to the one's we love.I will be praying for your dad and your family

19. Its Valentines day, my wife is in Mpls, my mom was working. I took my dad out for pizza and a beer. This post hits hard, love the ones we love when they are here. Remember them later.

20. glassguy

glassguy

godamn this cancer!!!!!theres been men on the moon, and people living with monkey hearts, but we cant get rid of this fucking cancer!!! i dont understand.. both my mom, and mom in law are fighting lung cancer, and my dad passed away 3 months ago. but luckily i was there holding his hand while he slipped away, and im thankful for that! just be there, and be strong, he still needs you.. and so does your family more than ever. the pain stays but thankfully is more manageble with time. i wish i could find words that truelly help. good luck and god bless. dave paras

21. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

FWIW, I lost my mom to a brain tumor and dad to lung cancer. But PLEASE get him to the best possible treatment center. MD Anderson in Houston if possible. They can do things and have methods that some regional med centers have never heard of. If there is a chance at all, given age, state of advancement, etc, sieze it. God bless

22. Jim P

Jim P
    from Tyler, TX

I really feel for you and your family. I lost my father very suddenly in November. He just went to the hospital for bronchitis. While there he had a coughing spell. Because of a blood thinner he was on he began to bleed internally. This caused him to drown in his bleed. Their were many other factors involved, out of anger it was going to go after several parties involved. Needless to say I didnt do it. I believe God was calling him home. Nothing I would have done would have brought him back. My father and I had a relationship like most. It was more like a brother/ best friend. He was always there when I made any passes down the dragstrip. Hell, He was there for anything. I grew up building cars with him. I cant say enough good about the man. I will say I think he knew it was coming. I took him to the hospital on a Saturday. That day we while he lay in the hospital bed he started telling me everything. Where different CD's, IRA's ect ect were. Then began telling me how proud he was of me, my wife and my daughter. Of course they had given him some drugs by this time. I took all he said as the medicine talking. I even went as far to tell him we'll talk about it all later. The next day is when they found him in the hospital bathroom floor dead. I have only one regret with him. I never told him I loved him. Like most we're men and it was just assumed but never said. My dad was 71. I am 31 and thought I knew it all. I have been doing some work on his deuces. A few things have come up that I dont have the knowledge of. You just never have enough time to learn and express with the ones we love. I know all this now. My mother has several types of cancer. We are prepared as much as we can be for her. I am making the most of my time with her while she is still here. Our prayers are with you and your family during this difficult time. Make the most of the time you have left. You only have one dad. Sorry for the long ramble.Jim Poindexter II

23. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

They gave my mom six months and she went 11 years with Lung Cancer. Attitude makes a big difference and so do great doctors. Unfortunately, my father-in-law got diagnosed with Lung Cancer two months ago and it's already spread to his bones, brain, liver, and apparently in his blood (didn't even know that was possible till now). Dave's a super guy. A good old fashioned Italian cop and a true gentleman. Just quit smoking one month before he found out and was looking to retire this summer and start living the good life. He won't see summer now. I think knowing can be worse than just dropping unexpectedly but it gives you time to sort anything out that needs it.

This all reminds me of Chili Phil's thread "You might already be there". You can spend your whole live planning for what you are going to do someday or you can invest your life in doing it now.

I sincerely feel for ya man. Nothing makes it any easier. And I appreciate your call to make every day a memory cause that's the truth. It's all you have. I've got faith that all of this is temorary though. Sounds like he's got a son that loves him and that's about the best you can hope for as a father. Obviously, you've got people that care about you too and that's nothing to sneeze at either. If ya need anything, let me know. In the meantime, you've both got my prayers.

24. Zumo

Zumo

I am sorry as well. I cold not imagine not having my Dad right now, I am not "ready" so I understand your pain. Talking it out here helps a little too. My father and I weren't really close until I was in my early 20's. Not his fault really, he was just trying to feed his family. I didn't know what he meant to me until he and my mom moved to Colorado for a while. They eventualy came back to TX, but that day I finished helping them move up there and had to hug him good-bye broke me down like a sniveling school girl. It was one of the hardest days of my life. I know he didn't pass away or anything like that but I knw I couldn't just pick up the phone and call him over to come help me on my current project. My Dad has taught and teaches me lots and I will never forget that. Now with my son I am trying to pass on the love and knowledge so he'll be strong and confident so he too one day can be a good father.

Like it was said before, tell him we're all praying for him.

25. kustomkolin

kustomkolin
    from Herts UK

Damn.My dad is cool.He`s not a rodder but over the years has adjusted to my lifestyle.My wife lost her mum and dad in jan 05 to a drunk driver and the pain kinda goes away,but the void remains!All the best to you and your family.Remember your fellow HAMBERS will always be here to help,even if you dont know them!Kol.

26. tootallrodder

tootallrodder
    Member Emeritus

I lost my dad 20 years ago next week. Not a day goes by that I don't think about him. He was never afraid to take on a project, I think that has rubbed off on me.

My Mom and I were talking about how he would have loved the new technology which we have become so used to. I just know he would be surfing the Web with the best of them and using CAD. He spent well over 45 years as a machine designer, so you know how many lines he drew on paper.

Spend all the time with him you can and never leave him without telling him how thankful you are for the time you spend together.

27. HotRod60F100

HotRod60F100

My dad passed away last night at age 60 from terminal cancer in his brain.Like i said guys,cherish the time with your dads who are still among the living.and try not to be angry with your loved ones and try and forgive and forget.

R.I.P
    My Father James Edward Mangrum 1946-2006

28. Donzie

Donzie

Sorry to hear that about your dad. Cherish each moment you have left.
    My dad is 83 and still plays guitar and fiddle in a band. This weekend he;s having an antiques yard sale...there's no stopping him...at least it seems like.

29. Model40-770

Model40-770
    from LOUISIANA

My dad just turned 59 last week.........i wouldn't know what to do with out him.......we still work on cars together when we can.......

30. Vicious_Cycle

Vicious_Cycle

I'm very sorry for your loss.