Register now to get rid of these ads!

Be NICE to the new guys

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by earl schieb, Dec 11, 2007.

1. cause you never know when they might help you! :D

I was cruisin' the classifieds yesterday and saw a Ford 223 for sale from K55f5R --a real bitchin motor with a 2x1 set-up :eek:...I've been looking for pics so I can build linkage for my 2-pot six setup, and even here on the HAMB I've had no luck(Ford carbs sit sideways and the linkage is weird:rolleyes:)
    ANYway.......
    I send a PM to this cat with 2 posts, asking(hoping) for maybe a pic of his linkage........and he sends me a scan of the instructions/diagram from Offy! :D
    THANKS, Keith!!!!

Just goes to show....
    I see old-time HAMBers beatin' on newbies a lot :(--Sometimes it's cause they're just plain stupid, but a lot of times for no real good reason. :mad: Ya never know ......ain't no tellin' what talent and knowledge has been run off from this place for no good reason---other than they were new guys:rolleyes:

Okay, down off my milk crate:eek:

2. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

no kidding. do unto others!! i had a HAMBer that mostly lurks give me a friggin Hossfeld tubing bender. totaly kick ass. he just friggin GAVE it to me!!

i personaly love doing things for others and helping out when i can, as long as i know the person is going to truly appreciate it. that kind of karma will come back to you in the best possible way.

3. I hate new guys.....waaait a minute, I was one once and I didnt get butt raped, I was one of the lucky ones though. seriously, I try and support any new folks.

If this board hurts the feelings, try visiting the sister site JJ and tell em your new and ask 'em their opinions of your new plaid seat cover on your moped.

4. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

So True!..

I got my list of good ones and Bad ones

5. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

funny, now that you mention it Turboroadster i did'nt get flamed AT ALL when i joined up. everyone kept askin me how i got away with not gettin flamed cause at the time EVERYONE was gettin ripped on pretty hard when they joined up. just a right of passage at the time i guess. i don't even think i posted an intro. LOL

6. the-rodster

the-rodster

It's not that bad around here now...

The Jockey Journal, well that's a different story, those guys are pretty harsh, ask Tingler :)

Rich

7. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

You have a milk crate? is it a traditional metal one or one of those newfangled plastic ones? :eek::D:D:D

I only beat on the ones that say stupid stuff... really;)

8. Kool Kat

Kool Kat

Shit this place is like a nice convention now. Shoulda been here during the Germ days.

9. Omega

Omega
    from Mass

And we love it when you do :D

10. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

I believe "PC" is the correct term these days...I was here during the Germ days...the "comments" made to the new guys differ like war between the Roman swords and today's nuclear weapons...it got ugly...!!!

R-

11. Gator

Gator

Well put Mike.

What he do, post over there with picture of that scooter with a sidecar thing??

12. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

Norman Newguy here,the "hazing" I haven't gotten isn't bad-compared to some places I've been;work,fun or otherwise!
    Some people relate kindness to a weakness,whether giving or recieving?
    I'm just glad to be on here til I can prove myself!
    Thanks for giving me a chance to air my .02 cents.

The sense of humor that wafts thru here is killer,tho!

13. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Yeah....I've met a few cool guys that are registered but have never posted....

Have also PM'd a few well respected Hamb "heros" (not mine), seeking help/tips on their setups and never got a response....not even an F-off......

14. And the funny thing it is usually not a newbie but somebody that should know better.

15. flatheadgary

flatheadgary
    from boron,ca

the thing about the way newbies are treated is a bit stupid to me anyway. we are all here to gather knowledge. no one was born knowing everything and i'll bet we can all still learn something from somebody else. it seems the same on most sites i go to, from vw's to model cars. i don't post alot myself as there are not alot of post i have any interest in. it seems to me kind of like a crank call on a phone. they can hide behind the computer and you really don't know them, so they can say all kinds of stuff. mostly though, i don't care to hear a bunch of crap from someone i don't know and probably doesn't have as much talent as i do sitting in his underwear bitchin like a nagging wife. i already have one of those and one is enough. personally, it all seems a little to much like ghetto mentality to me.

16. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Yeha nobody said we had to be nice to the old guys... :rolleyes:

17. See, that is the issue, most guys here dont wake up in the morning and say "gee Imagunna razz a newbie on the HAMB today"

Dumbass questions such as "how do I fit a Kenworth Visor to my Edsel?" have ALWAYS got the collective fired up here, regardless of the dumbass's number of posts.:)

18. Muttley

Muttley

Morons are morons weather they have 12 or 12,000 posts.

19. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

When I was a newby here I thought I would join in on some (seemingly) good natured joking around and made a comment about new cars in a "What kind of new SUV should I buy?" thread. I had some keyboard tough guys all over me that would have had their ass trounced if they did that to me or anyone near me face to face. I told them so and that was that, I got a rude awakening and they got told what I thought of their BS. Not too long after that things started to mellow out here but when I first came there was a whole bunch of assholes that did nothing but dogpile new guys for not doting their Is and crossing their Ts just right. The only way you could get past it was come on giving away cool old stuff.

20. WildWilly68

WildWilly68

I sold a car and traded a car to "new guys" with ZERO posts. They are both friends today. But occasionally we all say something stupid and get flamed, just some of us do it more often. :D

21. You gotta problem with plaid? :D

I miss Germ. And that guy named Kojak (I think) that really WAS trying to put a visor on his '64 Galaxie. Sometimes the most clueless posts are the most entertaining.

22. 72sst

72sst

Gotcha chief !

23. GTS225

GTS225

Excuse me.....I take exception to that! I'll have you know that I know everything there is to know........it's recall on demand that I have a horrible problem with. (Yeah...that's it.....yeah) :D;)

Roger

24. inkundone

inkundone

i dont suppose you would wanna just friggin give the bender to me would you? i sure could use it.:D

25. Aaaah, go beep beep yer A$$:D

Heck, I even broke down and gave a shipping quote to someone with no posts at all. They joined and their first action was to PM me.
    Used to bug the heck out of me.

Lately, we've had some serious talent join up (Read the Norwegian Blacksmith thread).

Now, when they log on and do there first post about their bitchin' Roadstar with 20" billet rims and rubber band tires with the Northstar under the hood or their blown, injected AMC Hornet Race car.......I may not be the first to jump, but I'll probably join the party.

New guys that have knowledge to offer are more than welcome.

26. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Judge not by the post count, for ye be judged.

27. Jay71

Jay71

I hate FNG's.

28. BigDanF4i

BigDanF4i

What I think about some of the new guys here, is that they are apprehensive to post progress pics of their work because of some of the bashing others have taken. Some take it well, some don't. I know thats how I was; especially since at the time I was building something with IFS. (don't worry, it's been shelved for now)

Yeah, dumb questions come with being new; especially if you read magazines that I won't list; but most come around. But what I don't like seeing is the collective bashing someone new because their tastes don't jive.

29. Silent_Orchestra

Silent_Orchestra
    BANNED
    from Omaha, NE

I never got the bashing yet, and I didn't do an intro even though some one told me I should:D, but then again I haven't asked a bunch of stupid questions, I could have maybe searched up the topics and looked for answers, but what fun would that be. I've only ripped a couple new guys that posted about they're lovely R words, me and Bad Bob had fun one night, until the thread got shut down... Oh well I'm just glad everyone has been helpful and cool to me. I'll save my secret love for DONKS for another forum. Oh and one of the nicest guys I've met on here Customcory, sent me the coolest package ever when I was at newbie status, the picture in my avatar that he drew up for me, and all the prints he had done so far. That reminds me I've gotta send him a christmas card or somethin'.

30. Since you are from Nebraska we figured that the mental deficiancies alone were enough burden for you to bear, we didn't have the heart to tear into you too hard:D