Register now to get rid of these ads!

Be Honest Guys...How Many of you have...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by corncobcoupe, May 12, 2005.

1. Armstrong

Armstrong

I'm what you might call established,nearly 50,steady job,kids out of the house. To me anything over $1000 buy in for any car is enough. Of course I don't buy finished cars,only projects. To me the building is what it's all about. That being said,I would go out on a limb for the right deal and that would have to be something I could turn a sizable profit on.

2. Kev Nemo

Kev Nemo

Porknbeaner touches on a good point here. When I worked for a highend retail boutique, I spoke with the owner who was based out of Memphis. Now you TN guys know that there's some large money out there but it belongs to a select few and flows in a big circle. It also helps that they all intermarry. I feel like if I give money to another HAMBER, this place thrives and so does our little 1000+ member clique.If any of the newbies want to know why we care so much about people pimping there stuff out here, they have to understand our little 'economy' first. If somebody wants to make a sticker, it should read
    "SAVE KUSTOM KULTURE-BUY HAMB PRODUCTS"

3. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Hey Beaner,
    After reading your side note ( several fucking times at that)sounds like the deal was as easy as a Arkansas Family tree as in a telephone poll.
    (no branches because eveyone is related to everyone !)
    Big circle jerk of parts.
    Shit- Most swap meet stuff goes from table to table.
    Cob

4. orange52

orange52

Yep, I just bought a house in Urbandale (Cob will know where that is) now I have no cash for anything.

5. Mutt

Mutt

How long you been doin' Brad Pitt? :eek:

Mutt

6. Bottom line..Im broke. :(

7. HoldFast

HoldFast

I'm more than broke. I borrowed money from my 401k to buy my cadi and get it started.

8. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

hell i got more time than money.

i agree, if i had say fifteen large burnin a hole in my pocket and mama said go buy a car, it'd get me a shitload of parts and junkers. . .

there are times my car dont get worked on cause i aint got money for a sheet of tin, or if i got the materials, i gotta work extra runs to keep the freekin heat turned on. . .

phone bills need payin, mama is so hard on vehicles that i cant keep up with her breakin shit so i said fuckit and bought her a brang new minivan just to have the warauntee and i aint gotta fix it, so there went about all of my "liquid cash" every month.

oh well, there is always next month right? ;)

as its been said. . . if we had cash we wouldnt be here

9. JimC

JimC
    from W.C.,Mo.

All I wanted was to see her naked and drink some beer!

JIm

10. InDaShop

InDaShop
    from Houston

Reflecting on my own junk, I think how smart I could have been and just bought a completed driveable pile and been a hell of a lot cheaper than my collection of parts. Unfortunately that skips a whole step for me. The assembly/fab/figuring shit out/drinking beer phase.
    I've seen some rides I'd love to own, that ended up going in the 10k range. Too bad I don't have 10K, but in the process of collecting one piece at a time, and doing it myself, I'll have over that in it, but I'm counting beer in the cost so.......I should end up with a driver for eleventy billion $Texas.

BTW nothing is more uncool than asking about money. Cause if you ain't got any you don't want anyone to realize how little you've got. And if you have a lot, fawk those guys they're street rodders.

11. 61falconwagon

61falconwagon

Me too but in a few more months !!

12. I have no money So I cut the pockets out of my pants. I have kids so at tax season maybe!! Today I am looking forward to friday. Just to keep the power on and gas in the car!

Josh

13. touchdowntodd

touchdowntodd

you GOTTA be goin to ALL the goodguys shows with sh*t like taht comin out of your mouth... im broke as can be, can fix ANYTHING, and dont mind buildin em, and sellin em toyou folks with that kinda dough..... makes it more fun to build a modified for $1000, and have offers over 10k for it

14. Kilroy

Kilroy
    from Orange, Ca

And More importantly...

What is you're favorite color?!

15. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

BTW nothing is more uncool than asking about money. Cause if you ain't got any you don't want anyone to realize how little you've got. And if you have a lot, fawk those guys they're street rodders.[/QUOTE]

I appreciate your reply. But are you saying if I had enough money to buy the Really chopped flathead "T" for sale in the classifieds then I would be just a Street Rodder ? Yet I don't have enough skills to build one myself, so I guess I'll never be a old school hot rodder?
    Hey Rocky, I guess my coupe was never a Hot Rod.
    ya think ?

Yea, I knew I asked a loaded question and I accomplished what I intended to do and that was to get people all revved up.

Some had fun with it and I had some good laughes.
    Some took it personal and told me to fuck off which is ok.
    Some had a few bits here and there.
    Some changed it to banging Some Spears chick.
    Money and sex always seem to find each other.

I just threw it out there about car funds/ play money.
    I could care less how much or how little each has.
    those who don't have any money usually find the way to turn piles of metal into cool shit which I really admire.
    Believe me, I don't have much compared to some and some more than others.
    But money don't buy fun, and it ain't no fun with no money so I guess we all make the best of what we got.

The other thing that was interesting was some shit about asking how much play money was out there and guys bitched, and yet when I mentioned a 32 Ford Coupe for five grand and some jumped higher than 18 year old with a fist full of dollars in a titty bar.

Entertaining at least and it helps to have thick skin.
    At least it use to be on the H.A.M.B.
    Cob

16. Kilroy

Kilroy
    from Orange, Ca

One time there was this kid in town that had a bitchin Redline factory race BMX bike...

I wanted it real bad, but my dad said he couldn't afford it. I got a Kuwaharra...

I still wanted it but I just couldn't mow enough lawns to afford it.

But that was when Regan was in office...

Fucking Reganomics.

17. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Then you wouldn't be broke and then you would be part of the
    "you folks crowd" as you say .

Haven't quite got the skills to completely build them myself but could you teach me so I can build them for $ 1000. and sell them for $10,000.
    I'ld like to build a minimum of 10 a year.
    Sound good to you.

Second on the what color ?
    Cob

18. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

NOW YOU DID IT.
    YOU crossed the line and brought politics into it.
    Damn, that was next on my list to piss everyone off.
    Damn Kilroy.
    Now your the asshole for the next 25 posts.
    Cob

19. Gasserfreak

Gasserfreak
    from Yuma, AZ

I'll put it like this, If I had the money I'd keep that "T" and just build another car. I've honestly never owned another car that I felt "fit" me perfectly. It's not perfect, and it needs some work, but I love it to death. Do I consider myself a street rodder because I didn't build it, fuck no. But then again fuck calling people a "street rodder" like its a bad name. The term "street rodder" is alot older than most people on here(check out some 1950's magazines).

Back to the point, because of my limited funds, two kids, and the constant threat of deployment looming over my head. I just flat out ain't got the time or money for your holier than though attitude. I sure would like to settle down long enough to start a real project of my own or to finish my 34 that been sittin at my moms for years, bit since We don't stay in the same place more than a year or so, I ain't dragging that shit around from duty station to duty station just to have to put it in storage the next time I go overseas(yeah I just got back from Korea about 11mo ago) not to include going to the field every couple months for a month+ at a time and I'll be bouncing again here in the next few months.

I don't know how I got sucked into reading this post or why I got so upset about your "street rodder" comment(not you Cob) . Maybe because I resemble that remark. Fuck that, my situations and limitations don't allow me to be as fucking cool as you.That does't mean I don't have the as much of or more passion and drive for Hot Rods. Thats it I've finished with this one.

Oh, and just to answer your question: I honestly don't think its totally appropriate to ask how much money I've(We've "everyone here on the HAMB") got but since you did, I ain't to fuckin proud to tell ya, I ain't got shit (till payday that is:D) because I've earned just about everything I got(and borrowed the rest:D). As for play money ZER0. I ain't spent a dime on my car in months, thats part of the reason I've desided to sell it, that and I want a sedan for the whole family to enjoy.

Laters,

Drew

20. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

You the man Drew.
    I really hope you do not get deployed.
    I support the NMTF for M-1 Abrams Tanks and other various Duece and halfs from a civilian support level and have seen quite a few go and not return yet. God Speed for all I hope.

NOW EVERYONE READ THIS.
    I SENT THAT POST OUT FOR SOME REPLIES AND SHARING OF DO HAVE CAR FUNDS/ PLAY FUNDS AND SHIT LIKE THAT.
    I DON'T CARE IF YOU DO OR DO NOT HAVE A DIME.
    I DON'T CARE HOW MUCH MONEY YOU MAKE.
    SOME OF YOU JOKED ABOUT IT AND HAD SOME LAUGHS.
    K.C. still had the best answer to me.
    SOME OF YOU TOOK IT PERSONALLY AND TOLD ME TO FUCK OFF AND THATS OK TOO.
    Yea I'm yelling-ok
    I also am in the same thought as some of you for projects and funds etc.
    NO-ONE forced you to reply and I didn't name anyone personally to ask about money.
    I asked just as a totally different question just to relate.
    I pissed Murph off first thing and actually Murph is hitting on me for a date through P.M.s. right Murph ?
    All of ya quit getting your panties in a bunch about it and not a damn thing was directed personally to any of you.
    So change your oil in your pan and head down the raod and get happy !
    All you guys are fun to read.

Lets change subjects and reply to Kilroys reply.
    NOT.

Time to go.
    Thanks,
    Cob

21. plan9

plan9

ive got money... more than most of you will ever have in your lifetime... got it all giving lapdances to leapors in Bangladesh.

my next project is a nitrous injected turbo supercharged Rocket ship powered by 2 million RC car gas motors.

22. Thumper

Thumper

:rolleyes: Hell man.......I'm so broke.......I had to get a co-signer at Krystal the other night.

23. I just lost my house due to divorce & my brother is kind enough to let me stay at his place free of rent, so I have SOME money to finish up (make almost safer & almost roadworthier) my '56. I wouldn't buy another car, but I can work on the one I have.

24. Mike

Mike

Yeah, it sucks how the Regan years really fucked up the lawn mowing, lemonade stand and newspaper delivery industries. :)

25. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

RED! :D I'm a financial loser. I have no credit, no credit cards, no bank account, no retirement, no investments and no savings account. What I do have is an old fruit jar stuffed with every extra penny I can manage to save and when the need arises, like now, I sell whatever daily hack I'm driving for loads more then what I gave for it, just to fund my hotrod habit.........which means that sometimes, I have to rely on the kindness of others for a ride to work, but at least they understand that I have an addiction!:D
    xxx
    Brandy

26. Kilroy

Kilroy
    from Orange, Ca

What is your quest?

27. And to the rest of the readers of this, sorry for the bad words. I next to never type like that. And for the record, I have no physical proof the Cob is a cocksucker. That is all hersay and rumors. ;)[/QUOTE]

I love it when you talk that way......gggrrrrr

28. InDaShop

InDaShop
    from Houston

Drew, ya got me all wrong here. If I had a lump sum to buy a car, I doubt I would at this point in my life. Maybe if I had less time I'd buy rather than build. I have nothing against, or even see anything wrong with that approach. Just cause a guy doesn't know how to weld, shouldn't keep him from enjoying this hobby, and the blasts to the past that we get from it. My "Street Rodder" comment is based on the evolution of the term Street Rodder. As it doesn't mean what it meant in the '50's today, you talk about a street rodder today, and you are referring to Boyd cars, and SpeedStars. Guys that are running from the GNRS, and the AMBR, where budget is of no concern.
    If you offended, by that well grow thicker skin. Also I checked your car over up close at Roundup, and loved it. I think the conversation when we were looking at it was how cool it'd be to play poker on the roof. How many GNSR winners can claim that.

29. krooser

krooser

Poverty Builds Character

30. Gasserfreak

Gasserfreak
    from Yuma, AZ

I guess I just read the one millionth "If you didn't build it you suck" and snapped. I apologize if I offended anyone, I try not to get the "internet tuffguy" attitude. I'll tell ya this much I didn't waste 2min of my life for anyones sympathy, I just wanted to speak on my own behalf. By the way, thanks man, I really dig it also, maybe the next one I'll build:D. I kinda wonder somtimes if "back in the days" people that had guys like Barris and The Alexander Brothers build cars for them got a rash of crap for not building their own cars? Somthing to ponder huh. Anyway hope I didn't ruffle anyones feathers too much.
    Laters
    Drew

Drew