Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods BBC help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cktasto, Dec 26, 2015.

1. cktasto

cktasto

Hey guys,
    this is going to be a dumb question, last night I finished degreeing the cam on the bbc for my 55'; it was a learning experience for sure but I feel confident that the timing matches the specfications on the card now. My plan is to get the pistons installed today but before I go forward with that there are two tapped holes on either side of the cam journal at the front of the block (here's the dumb question)...what are those? oil galley for the cam? do I block them off? I'm building the motor at my buddies shop about 15 miles from my house or else I'd take a picture of them. I'm heading up to the shop later this morning and am hoping someone can get me smart on this before I head out in case I need to stop my napa for plugs.
    pistons today, oil pump and heads tomorrow, order my push rods monday morning...maybe fire it up next weekend. Nothing ever goes to plan but it's sure getting close!
    Charlie

2. Yes they are oil galley plugs, sometimes they come in a deluxe freeze plug kit, couple more on the back too.

loudbang and cktasto like this.
  3. cktasto

cktasto

great, thanks for the quick reply...save me an extra trip to the parts store.
    Happy New year

Charlie

4. Oh yeah the ones with the little hole goes in the front to oil timing chain, if put in back you'll have a nice oil leak.

5. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Question how did you degree the cam without a piston in the engine
    I use one to find true TDC

loudbang, 1956 F100 and bobkatrods like this.
  6. Usually cam timing is done with number one piston installed.

7. BOBCRMAN

BOBCRMAN
    from Holly

Actually the small hole was designed to relieve air that gets caught in the lifter galley and causes a noise... If a hi-volume oil pump is used, it is wise to provide extra oil to the thrust side of the upper timing gear. Old way was to drill a small hole thru the cam housing thrust face of the block into the oil galley feeding the front cam bearing.. Since the seventies, I just take a bearing knife and carve a path (little more than a deep scratch) from the cam bearing oil hole, across the bearing to the front of the block. Does the same job, much quicker.. Keeps the upper timing gear thrust surface from eroding the block..

Yes, using the vented galley plug in a rear position will cause you a lot of messy problems..

loudbang likes this.
  8. cktasto

cktasto

i had the #1 installed but the didnt have the plugs installed behind the sprocket.

thanks for the feedback today guys. didn't get all the pistons installed but made good progress; hoping to finish up tomorrow.

saltflats likes this.
  9. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Directly under the cam sprocket are two 1/8 inch or so tapped holes. In automotive applications, they are not used. In boats, with reverse rotation, they are for a camshaft pre-load/retention plate. They are part of the machined boss for the front cam journal, not the more outer and above placed plugs in the oil galleries (and one of those plugs has a lube hole to help lubricate the timing chain/gears). This what you're referring to? I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

loudbang likes this.
  10. cktasto

cktasto

11. BOBCRMAN

BOBCRMAN
    from Holly

Those are not galley plugs. They are threaded holes used to retain the thrust on marine and HD truck engines. Not used on your application.

loudbang likes this.
  12. cktasto

cktasto

AHA! thanks I suspected something like that. Headed up to the shop now, thanks again everyone.