Register now to get rid of these ads!

BBC 454 worth it?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chillywilly, Sep 29, 2010.

1. chillywilly

chillywilly

a guY down the street hauls out a 454 BBC motor minus the carb and front accessories today on a wagon. Zoinks! whered that come from? So i go take a look cause there is something greasy and made of metal on the sidewalk. Casting numbers end in 445 which puts it in the 76 -87 truck category. $500 as is. WORTH IT??????????????????

2. F&J

F&J

500 , not around my area.

3. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

I used a truck 454 in my last rod. One hell of a torque monster, heavy as hell though. If it turns over i'de grab it. Then i'de build a car around it. Not very 'traditional' though

4. squirrel

squirrel

If it's a good engine it's worth it. Hard to tell that, unless you take it apart.

5. Deuces

Deuces

If it's a truck motor, it's probably a 4-bolt block... I'd jump on it!! :D

6. Ol Deuce

Ol Deuce
    from Mt. U.S.A.

The BBC is the only way to go!

7. squirrel

squirrel

If it's a light truck (1 ton or less) 454, it's almost certainly a 2 bolt block.

If it's a medium truck tall deck 366 or 427, then it's 4 bolt.

8. trad27

trad27

Sounds a little high for a old dirty truck moter to me. But saying that I have know idea of condition, if I were looking for one and it is a known good runner with a good bottom end it could be worth it.

9. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

For 5 I would pass the last one I tore down had two bent rods I paid 200

10. chillywilly

chillywilly

thats the thing... im not looking for one and I just dropped a cammed 2x2 flatty in my 50 so its not really my style. but im not one to pass a deal or something turnable either. So.... yay or nay?
    BTW turns over

11. Phucker

Phucker
    from Kansas

Depends on how bad you want a big block, as to if its worth it, I guess.

$500 is about the general range for a big block that could use a rebuild, if there are plugs in it, pull them, and see how bad they look. I doubt I'd expect it to be smoke free.

I wouldn't go nuts over it myself, unless I knew it had been rebuilt atleast once, didnt have silicone ooozing out from every joint, and I knew it had some goodies inside. but thats just my opinion, and yes I do like big blocks, have a 454 in a 77 vette.

Edit: I see you mention its not really your style...I probably wouldn't screw with it myself then, but everyone has their own opinions.

And yes to any introduction police...I'll get over there soon, I'm just not that keen on babbling about myself for the most part, and there isn't much to say.

12. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

I am a flatty guy also. However, I have a .040 over LS6 with a a Clay Smith roller in my boat and I like it alot. Good balance of torque and HP.

13. chillywilly

chillywilly

You Phucker!

Just thought I'd try that out........ I was more hoping I could flip this motor than use it

14. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

The local police tow yard had them for $300 with all the pulleys, belts and accessories including a carb and dizzy.

15. tgabbe1934

tgabbe1934
    from smithtown

If its a truck block its definately worth it, four bolt 454's are getting hard to come by! I have one waiting patiently to be put into my rod! It should be pretty frightening!

16. squirrel

squirrel

Not worth messing with if you don't want it.

17. chillywilly

chillywilly

LIght duty - more likely 2 bolt?

18. To flip it? Not a good investment for an unknown entity that is basically a core.

Bob

19. I am a champion flipper of all sorts of things, and I got to tell you this....
    flipping does not involve marginal deals on the acquisition side. You know...buy low...sell high. Know when to pass.

20. 454s are not worth what they once were because what drove up the price was all the 1 ton work trucks going thru them but since the diesels have ruled real work trucks for the last 10-15 years the price has plumeted from the $5-800 down to $2-300 for a complete with all accesories unit. And few 454s are 4 bolt, the ones to pay attention to are the '73-'74 3/4 and 1 tons as most of those had 4 bolt mains with high nickle blocks and steel cranks and 7/16 rods and some motor homes will have these thru the late 70's but I suspect GM discovered the beast were overkill and very few have these features on the newer ones. The better ones will still bring $5-800 depending on how used up they are. The racers have found the aftermarket blocks which can be ordered ready to go feature all the cool stuff and if you have built an engine lately you will understand that the machine work is enough to rethink used core values. The last several engines I have built we had to go thru 5 core blocks on two of the builds to find decent cores and the current one I thru in the towel and sleeved two holes because I was tired of buying cores and dragging them in, tearing them down, taking them to the machine shop to get rejected due to cracks and not bores not cleaning up at .060. New blocks really start look good at this point. While I am on the subject, connecting rods, new ARP bolts, $50.00, new pin bushings(390 Ford) $64.00, machine shop resizing, $96.00, total $210.00, new rods for this engine only options are H-beams, $400.00 but for most common engines the SIR rods are only $150-200 so you see where I am going with this, in most cases new trumps worn out junk stuff. But in the case of vintage motors, a whole different story, good cores are the trick.

21. 61falcon

61falcon

offer him $300 and if he says no, leave your number and wait for the call.

22. 36couper

36couper
    from ontario

How many miles are on it? I have one in my '36 coupe (avitar) and it's been fantastic. Full of torque, not much horsepower but sucks gas like there is no tomorrow. The next iteration of my coupe will be an LS series and 6 speed.

23. BISHOP

BISHOP

Just as a comparison, I bought a newer 454 FI for 400 bucks.( this is a roller motor) Another 100 for the pulleys and brackets. No fuel injection stuff came with it, I planned on putting a carb on it anyway.
    Not long after I bought it, I won a carb and intake in a dice game. Good times.

24. bob308

bob308

500 is right at the top. but then i have not seen many for sale. there was one local the block and crank for 400. i got 600 for a compleat 454 with a spun rod bearing 10 years ago.

but then how many have you seen lately?? and there is always some one that can get you one cheaper.