Register now to get rid of these ads!

battery relocation which side?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by xsquiden, Mar 28, 2010.

1. xsquiden

xsquiden

Thanks all who respond im havin a brain fart which side do you mount your battery on when you relocate it to the trunk? Of course for traction purposes.
    later
    mike

2. troylee

troylee

the side that is light. most of the time it is the right side.

3. The Shocker

The Shocker

Passenger side and as far back as you can possibly get it is ideal .Keep in mind that your gunna have to install a master cutoff (that shuts all power to the car off ,including the alt.) if your gunna be taking it to a drag strip at sum point :)...

4. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Right rear and don't forget most sanctiong bodies require the trunk mounted battery to be inclosed in a steel container.

Frank

5. 39 Ford

39 Ford

In a street driven car, right rear if the starter is on the pass side to avoid crossing car with battery cable.

6. Not only enclosed, but vented as well.

7. The Shocker

The Shocker

Your actually suppose to have a rear firewall that seperates the trunk from the passenger compartment (including the package tray if it has one) ,or you can just use a Moroso plastic box thats vented ,but they are pretty pricey.Mine is in a cheap boat type battery box ,but i have a rear firewall .Also make sure that if you use a battery box that it has an independent mount for the battery.You cant secure it with just the box or attach the mount to the box .It has to be seperate and has to be atleast 3/8 allthread or bolts that go to or through the floor ,no cheapo "J" hooks are allowed.Most people dont realise the pain it is to leagally relocate the battery in the trunk per the track rules.I know i didnt till i read up on it when i did mine in the Dodge ...

8. xsquiden

xsquiden

thanks all who replied it is mounted as far back and to the passenger side as possible the box is in the near future probably next weekend makin it out of 1" angle and 18 ga sheetmetal.
    thanks
    later
    mike