Register now to get rid of these ads!

basic wiring...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 47fordcoe, Jul 14, 2007.

1. 47fordcoe

47fordcoe
    from San Diego

What up fellas..now before you start flaming I searched and searched...with no luck. I need to re-wire my old 38 GMC truck most of the OG wire is gone but I'm pretty sure the bitch will start right up..it had a shit load of wire going everywhere...but it look like it went to nothing. I'm looking for basic ignition, voltage regulator and start silinoid....no key just a push button start........and I know the spelling is shit so please!

2. 4woody

4woody

What exactly was your question?

3. squirrel

squirrel

4. 47fordcoe

47fordcoe
    from San Diego

sorry fellas..I need a basic diagram of basic wiring from the battery to the key and everything inbetween. the existing wiring is really bad and no help as it has been hacked on for almost 70 years...so in a nut shell I need a diagram to re-wire my engine to start it!

5. The37Kid

The37Kid

I know less about electricity than anyone on the HAMB. But I do know enough to rip every inch of wire out of that rig and scrap it. You may have a few bucks from the scrap yard and ZERO chance of a fire.

6. JAWS

JAWS

Those trucks have very little circuits, You can pretty much get a kit for a t bucket or racecar and be fine. Plus they are cheap insurance against fires from old wiring. Is it still 6 volt, or a hot rod now?

7. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

To simply wire the engine for starting and test running.

Power from battery to starter button to small post on solenoid,

battery to toggle switch to coil (if 12 V through a ballast resister)

From coil to distrubutor.

Primary battery cable to large post on solenoid cable from opposite large solenoid post to starter.

starter button enables starter, toggle switch enables/disables ignition circuit. If you run the key switch your wiring will be a little more complicated. There are a couple of good schematics available from a link on the studebakerdriversclub site. The early stude trucks have relativly simple and easy to follow circuits.

8. Big Pete

Big Pete

Since you just want to dive in.. Take a battery charger or something small power up with that first. Anything light? Does the fuse blow? All of 'em?
    When you can click the mag switch ok put the die hard in.

9. 47fordcoe

47fordcoe
    from San Diego

thanks for the reply boys...I'll look into the study site!

10. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Remember you'll no safety switch of any kind, so make damn sure it's in Neutral.