Register now to get rid of these ads!

Barry Grant closes its doors...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Thirdyfivepickup, Feb 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

I called on a part I didn't stock and their phone message says:

"Thank you for calling Barry Grant. As of noon Friday February 18th we have ceased operations due to economic downturns..." (or something very similar)

Well, we lost another one. Nothing too traditional about them, just sad. I know one or more of their employees were on here.

2. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

They filed for bankruptcy protection in October, 2009, so it's not surprising. They've been in trouble for awhile.

From Barry Grant
    As of today, February 18, 2011 we are ceasing operations at our Dahlonega location and all subsidiary locations. Working with all of you has been the experience of a lifetime. I will value your support as friends, customers, vendors, and media contacts forever. The economic situation has put the company in the position of not being able to find working capital needed to continue operations and get a chapter 11 reorganization plan through the court. In addition to this, is that all of our equipment has been breaking down causing production delays and further hurting cash flow. Reluctantly now we must convert to chapter 7 liquidation after 26 years of business. The financial collapse has closed, or has caused severe restructuring of many companies in our industry. Many individuals have lost everything. We have even lost our home. This is the most humbling experience of my life, and I have no future plans at this point. Thank You for Your Many Years of Support.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2011
  3. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

My Boss bought his 67 Nova a few years back

4. Deuces

Deuces

5. Well that sucks!

6. One Finger John

One Finger John

Just went over to their site and I have to say that they have a very large selection of carbs and accessories and I believe that there will be a reorganization. If not then maybe some one will buy everything and carry on. I especially liked the thought of an i-line carb (The Badman) and would imagine some will pick that up to. BG is not too big to fail, but maybe too big for its intensions. I couldn't see some of the prices they were asking for their manifold/carb set ups.
    Any way, as they say "and more will be revealed"

John

7. X 2 :mad:

8. slammed

slammed

Anyone else getting nervous? This is a growing list across the country.

9. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

always had trouble with his carbs and his tech help sure could be rude at times. our shop will not miss him

10. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

To Whom It May Concern:
    Working with all of you has been the experience of a lifetime. I will value your support as friends, customers, vendors, and media contacts forever. The economic situation has put the company in the position of not being able to find working capital needed to continue operations and get a chapter 11-reorganization plan through the court. In addition to this, is that all of our equipment has been breaking down causing production delays and further hurting cash flow. Reluctantly now we must convert to chapter 7 liquidation after 26 years of business. The financial collapse has closed, or has caused severe restructuring of many companies in our industry. Many individuals have lost everything. We have even lost our home. This is the most humbling experience of my life, and I have no future plans at this point. Thank You for Your Many Years of Support.

As of today February 18th, 2011 twelve noon we have closed all operations at our main plant and all subsidiary location.

Sincerely,

Barry Grant

11. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Horrible news.

12. Deuces

Deuces

I wonder if this is going to drive the price up on my "Gold Claw" carb that I bought new.... Not too many of those were made...

13. Rich Wright

Rich Wright

The only way it can is if there is money out there to spend. And that is looking less likely as each day passes:eek:

14. slefain

slefain
    from Atlanta

I wonder if they will liquidate the place at auction.

15. Deuces

Deuces

Either way, I plan on keeping it as a collector piece.. Along with my 750 Speed Demon carb....

16. heywacha

heywacha
    from Orange, CA

Traditional, or not traditional, sad to see anyone in the automotive industry go down.

17. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

That sucks........... better times ahead for Barry and staff!

18. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Traditional or not, I hate to see a man lose his home while trying to sustain a business that serves the automotive performance market. Very sad.

19. Another victim of the destruction of the middle class.

20. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Not the kind of stuff I'm too into personally, but still very sad to hear about.

21. yardgoat

yardgoat

x2...............yg

22. Aussie osborne

Aussie osborne

Its happening everywhere... not as bad in Australia as for you guys.

The overall problem i think, was revealed in an email about extraordinary large ships that travel china to the U.S in 5 days, moving 15000 containers each. There is a fleet of them that go back to china EMPTY. We send cash, they send crap goods... we all buy it though.

The company that commisioned and owns the ships? Walmart.

It touches a nerve, i too saw my boss lose his house and everything due to no longer being able to compete with China. Not enough money is being spent that stays on our own countries shores.

oz

23. madhman

madhman

x3 for me as well

24. JeffreyPhipps

JeffreyPhipps

Let's remember this next time we order some Bob Fake stuff or Hoffman crap.

25. Phil1934

Phil1934

I got an auction notice last week for Champion Spark Plug's equipment.

26. AllenK

AllenK

I hate to hear that also. I thought the " and I have no future plans at this point" was kinda scary. It sounds desperate to me. :(

The one BG carb I have is pretty much junk though. It never did run right,and now I guess it's pretty much worthless. I even downloaded a manual from another guy who was supposed to be a guru on BG carbs,but it didn't help either.

You will see more and more of this stuff happening. It will get worse before it gets any better.

27. farmer12

farmer12

Terrible news. Best of luck to you, employees and family.

28. slammed

slammed

!!!

29. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.