Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Barris " AZTEC @ MECUM AUCTIONS.

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by mikhett, Dec 29, 2019.

1. While the engine is kind of the one issue with the car, but then with customs they are usually never seen. Not many customs show with their hoods up at shows as it usually ruins the look and flow of the car. As long as it runs good there is no need to for anything crazy. Does it affect the value? I don't think its a major value issue that could really swing the price like in a O/T muscle car or corvette. I would really only complain on how poorly detailed it is. It really needs a good cleaning and that would do wonders. Just as an example. most of the pictures I have of Taboo in the early 60s at shows almost always have the hood down. The only pictures I have of the motor are when they had the nose off for one of the wrecks and from Rod and Custom. I pretty sure where ever the Aztec ends up it will never been shown with the hood up.

2. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

I think about the 70s when emissions junk came on everything.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  3. The hamb universe ended before that.

Stogy likes this.
  4. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am surprised that it seems like a minor detail to many but this was a restoration.

So it seems and it is interesting that the original configuration was a departure from the norm it seems in Customs...Yet it was done...I have heard the reference many times between Custom and Hotrod...But I suspect the Original Owner wanted some power at the pedal...;)

I mean its was upholstered under there to boot...

To me I would take it the extra mile after purchase to make it right and in restoration of classics such as this that is not unusual to leave no stones unturned.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
  5. I think it was a mixed bag. There were definitely guys who ran souped up and dressed up motors in their cars in the LA scene. Gil Ayala, raced his cars and others did as well. Probably by this point judges were looking at engine bays so a full show custom would have the engine bay detailed. I just can't see it being the focal point of a sale like this. If you can drop the kind of money on a car like this a few dress up parts for the engine bay are probably not a real concern.

chryslerfan55, Stogy and lurker mick like this.
  6. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well if I was forking out 475k to capture the SOLD to Stogy I would complete the Journey...it is worthy of this last detail...and I get it that it's a relatively straightforward fix and not even the main focus...

Funny I'm thinking of 'The Look' for that one who asks "What's Under the Hood?"...:D

I'm a hoods closed advocate as well but for those that ask, it was again really a Work of Art right down to the Detailed and functional Engine Bay and that is a sign of a Fully focused Owner and Custom Builder...inside out and under...

Two More Days...till the excitement begins...

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
  7. We once hung a car thief in my neck of the woods. We bought a brand new rope and the guy was still bitching when we kicked the box out from under his feet. Some guys are just always going to complain.

8. fuzzface

fuzzface

"Two More Days...till the excitement begins... "

Actually the Aztec sells tomorrow on Friday. it will be the 258th car to sell with Christine being the 190th car and the Bullit Mustang will be the 182nd car tomorrow on Friday.

chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  9. fuzzface

fuzzface

Hemi under glass, Little red wagon, challenger, showboat slingshot Eleanor etc will be Saturday though.

Stogy likes this.
  10. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

:eek:

11. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Look at the construction photos pictured in this thread. All that exstensive custom metal work was not the results of English wheels, power and panishing hammers or mig and tig welding. This car was built with hammers and dollys, and what ever anvil, pipe/ gas cylinder or bench corner they could use to make the shape they needed and then gas welded and panished with a hammer and dolly while the weld was still hot and then lead with a torch again. And for a moment lets for get about the metal work of art it was in the 50's. When Barry Mazza found it , the car was a rotted out stripped down hulk and the only thing holding most of it together was the lead work. The fact that this car is still even here is beyond belief!! And the decades long restoration makes Barry and the others involved Car Guy Gods! Love it or not Barry, George , Bill Carr and Bill "De Carr" Ortega deserve respect . I was born in 1955 and have been a custom body/ paint lover as long as I can remember. I will admit the Aztec is not on my top 10 list as far as styling. But the workmanship is! Larry

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
  12. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hamb Interlude...

George Barris...Who is this Guy?

Here's a little peek that does highlight part of the Scene we revere here...very cool...from Mad Fabricator's

Credit to Videographer, Owner

13. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

But if you have to open it you don't want to stop the Jaw Dropping to the ground...;)

I read the story but with my swiss cheese golf ball brain what Smallblock graced that bay in the PIP pic? 265, 283...factory 3x2's?

14. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Holy cow, what's with all the famous stuff? Someone's collection?

Stogy likes this.
  15. 34Larry

34Larry

Oh Damn, whata we gonna do next to keep the blood moving:confused::rolleyes:.

16. Gotta keep this baby on the front page.

Stogy likes this.
  17. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

18. The Rodders Journal feature on it has a picture from the June 1959 Rod and Custom and says it was a dressed up stock 265. The pictured engine only has one carb on it. May have been replaced at some point or just the intake and carbs redone.

54delray, chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  19. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Someone Laid it out real nice...under the Hood...that tells me that Tinted Lexan Windows could have been added to the hood and looked cool with some soft lighting Illuminating the Engine...Cosmic Man...

20. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It deserving of the Podium, some ambient lighting...and discussion. Even see where the market is for these period Cruisers.

Always great to see the Movers and Shakers that Influenced and were Part of the Custom Scene in the mid to late 50s...still sporting the Sculpted Elegance they were given...

21. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This was Quoted text regarding The Aztec early beginnings...

"Bill wanted George and his boys to transform the Chevy into the wildest kustom he could imagine. Bill also wanted to help with as much work as possible. Bill made some design sketches. Bill Ortega, who changed his name to Bill DeCarr during the build, became Bill's primary mentor..."

End Quote

Personally I call people like Bill Carr Artists...I imagine his design was something he saw as his vision but I suspect these Artists also felt the look they presented would be judged in the positive by the masses...

I guess this was easier for George's Shop as they just had to build what was presented to them...

I don't think many made True Customs to be percieved as not Cool or Hip to What Hip was at the Time...

This is been played out already interestingly as they are now representative of a bygone era still influencing as all historic elements do...

What's another interesting revelation with this Custom with it's Selling Quirks is a Custom Builder at George's Shop even changed his Name over this Custom...:)

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
    chryslerfan55, Hombre and Moriarity like this.
  22. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

23. 'Mo

'Mo

Just to provide context, the Aztec debuted in 1957.
    That same year, this is what Lincoln was betting Americans wanted in a luxury car, .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Incidentally, "Smooth" Sam was working on his own project about that time.
    Just sayin'.

[​IMG]

24. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Junior-conway-aztec-construction-photo.jpg

:rolleyes:...a place the Wild and Dreams unfolded and continued unfolding for generations...

Larry I have a vision of the shop with great things happening including things you describe with the Molten Filler being applied and spread with smokey haze filling the air and AM Radio Capping the ambience...

It's funny Bowie made a statement which I initially thought was negative but now feel it was related entirely to what you have conveyed...I'm glad to be sharing the enthusiasm...

Pic is from our friends at Kustomrama...

https://kustomrama.com/wiki/Bill_Carr's_1955_Chevrolet

Credit to Photographer, Owner

Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
    spinner, bowie, 54delray and 4 others like this.
  25. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

El Capitola, built entirely by Sam in his own shop in Carmichael. Thanks for giving some context, Mo!

26. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Does anybody have Bill Carr's Sketches of The Aztec? Did he Coin it The Aztec at the time of Design?

It is again curious to me what Influence George had in Bill's Concept for this Custom...since it seemed Bill De Carr (Build the Car)...:confused:...that is Kookie Eh! seems to have been the one with Bill to Hammer and Sculpt this Iconic Custom along with some other well knowns in the Custom circle...

https://kustomrama.com/wiki/Bill_Carr's_1955_Chevrolet

stanlow69 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  27. It's about to go over the block. Didn't sell (yet) bid up to $175,000. They roll them across super fast so seems like zero chance for anyone to bid that's not at the auction.

chryslerfan55, Stogy and chevy57dude like this.
  28. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

bid to 150 and did not sell

Stogy and chevy57dude like this.
  29. Chicster

Chicster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Missouri H.A.M.B.ers

Didn't sell.

jimmy six and Stogy like this.