Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Barris " AZTEC @ MECUM AUCTIONS.

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by mikhett, Dec 29, 2019.

1. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'VE GOT A GREAT IDEA...

Why don't we finish off this thread with...

1) Thanking Moriarity for doing a great job as moderator...and doing it for free !
    AND
    2) Apologizing to Ryan for fucking up his vacation !

54delray, kevinrevin, Thor1 and 3 others like this.
  2. This is why we can’t have nice things....

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

3. Hombre

Hombre

I agree with it needs to end. This stopped being about a great custom car Long ago.

Thor1, loudbang and hotrodjack33 like this.
  4. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Nawwww wasn't savin at all -
    Like Question Mark and the Mysterians 96 Tears song...
    A One Hit Wonder... in my case typed it up as my imagination went.
    Kind of like a Custom Car.
    You know me man - just a little fun.
    It's all in fun...remember ?

Thor1, egads, lothiandon1940 and 3 others like this.
  5. Sheezus' ... some real pantie pushers here. Somebody is upset because their wittle' feewings' are hurt ? .. and they called the boss .. WTH ?

Who cares about your feewings' ? This is the HAMB. Alot of badasses here, & lot of fuggin' loudmouths. And that's just Monday.

50's customizers .. banged out forms on real Detroit USA steel, not made in China tin. It took rolling real sheetmetal around gas bottles, tires & wheels or building poles, slingin' lead, forming tail lights .. with a gas torch .. mixing formulations of crushed mica, or pulverized pearl for candy paint .. thru vacuum cleaners & nowhere near a Devilbliss or a Harbor Freight set of throw aways.

Do we really have to go here ?

Upholstery sewn with burlap backers, stuffed with horsehair, sometimes horseshit .. maybe your mom's skid marked cottons .. stretched leather, or naugahyde plastic experimental sh*t, wool fabric, or mohair & buttons of all shapes & sizes .. that last all of 86 minutes of seating, using machines built for sewing theater draperies .. not car upholstery.

Some clown chiming in, 5 or 6 decades later .. just because he can. It's easy .. but wait, there's more .. he even comes back twice. Eat some.

Now we can call 1800 get her done, & a million other choices, tooling, commissions or crapola you see on the internet, & TV tubes. Critics on every couch, keyboard & corner. Flip the channel. Call the boss. Cry.

I'm not a big custom lover, I do dig 'em and I do appreciate the innovations spent 70 years prior. Its history lessons, man. Be hard pressed to find someone bend the steel & dip the chrome for a half topped full custom today, let alone year 19 fuggin' 55 A.D.

Chip Foose-ian efforts take a long bit today, even with a million tools. The guys that did this one, most .. have long been dead. Screw respect, right ? What's that ?

Whole different ballgame then. That's why magazines invested year long features, in monthly series pushing customs. The herculean efforts in customizing then .. usually took the equivalent of a Detroit styling studio, with artwork, clay modeling & a production line. But this was a little shop with imagination, & five pair of hands .. not big Detroit production wallets. Truly one off, hand built & financed by working men advertising their craft .. to fill their shop with work.

I'm not gonna' kiss anyone's ass because they're a moderator .. but I'll send as much beer & bondo that I can afford, & listen intently to him .. because he knows WTF he's talking about .. you don't .. & can build this wild sh*t that we're admiring or critiquing .. and has. Without beer, even !!

We all need lessons here .. that it wasn't so easy to build 'em. Ignore the blood, sweat, tears .. lead & fiberglass in every orifice. Ignore the fact that a 70 year old custom still exists .. by God .. & is now restored to a close facsimile of what it was .. maybe even with TIG welds. Oh the agony.

If your wittle' feewings' are being hurt here .. go cry somewhere else. Don't like it .. fugg' off. Don't need to listen to bitch'n .. .. duck, duck, goose .. your chair has been kicked .. clean free of the stage.

5 pages in two days .. blathering .. unfocused on what most agree is a pretty trick ride. That's the poll I followed. Screwed up a vacation, & two mods on overtime ... holding the line.

God bless 'em & good night.

6. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Tommy my apologies you asked who built Hirohata's Merc...It was Barris and his Team...

Barris is also the one behind this often Misunderstood Classic Custom The Aztec...

A Grand Part of the Big Picture
    Forever

Thor1, hotrodjack33 and loudbang like this.
  7. Stogy ,,,,I understand completely,,,,I had already realized that Barris built it after some of the reading.
    When I was a teen in the mid seventies,,,,seems I read a letter in Hot Rod about the Hirohata Merc and they were asking if anyone had knowledge of its whereabouts ?
    I have never seen any info on it until now,,,,,but that name had always stuck in my head,,, funny you know ?
    After seeing the pics of the Merc,,,,it was a very smooth car,,,very nice indeed .

I am gonna read up on Hirohata and see about his life,,,,,interesting to me !

Tommy

Thor1, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  8. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The Original is still around restored...how cool is that...

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/bob-hirohata-interview-1977.573715/page-2#post-6371656

9. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

10. 392

I myself love most customs. The amount of work is mind blowing. I like it but it’s not on my radar to own.

Stogy likes this.
  11. Nova Thug

Nova Thug
    from SG Vizzle

If you have repeat offenders that offer little if any substantive contributions to the thread put them in your “IGNORE” box isolate them from your view and you won’t see their content unless you choose to. I had to can a couple of opinionated A-holes in some other threads as they contributed nothing and brought nothing but their continued rants about the same BS.. Life goes on and way less BS to wade through..

12. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Reminds me of Rudy jumpn’ out of the Green Flame lookn’ to deck the milkman! I’d hate to hear what they would say about Sonny’s Pearl. The Aztec is one iconic beauty in my book. 75EED870-06D9-4E2B-9FB8-D656DE0D4CB0.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
  13. Irvan

Irvan

I think the Aztec is a beautiful piece of rolling art, well worth the effort it took to save it.

Barn Hunter and Stogy like this.
  14. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Ok, I admit that I let my emotions get me carried away... I deleted my comments.....

15. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

16. Can we please start 2020 off on a positive note. Express any opinions in a civil manner or not at all. Jeeez, guys, I don't like every Custom and I don't like every Hot Rod, but I appreciate the efforts that go into them.

17. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

18. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

19. Brian Penrod

Brian Penrod

I'll apologize also. I made a couple of comments I should have kept to myself, I deleted one, I'm sure the mods deleted the others. I apologize, from now on I'll keep all comments to myself and keep my mouth shut.
    Brian Penrod.

Thor1 likes this.
  20. Thank you fellas,,,,,it always seems better after we realize that we all need each other.

And the good thing was,,,,Ryan was calm and cool as well !
    Also,,,,,I could not believe the Mods do this for nothing,,,,,Thanks and admiration go out to you all !!!
    It’s like trying to herd cats sometimes it seems,,,,all in a different direction,,,I don’t see how they do it !

No matter what,,, this is the best place by far,,,!,,,,and we all need to be friends.
    I learn something new almost every time I get on here,,,,and from all different sources !

I am proud that after taking a breath,,, we can see it is all good.

Tommy

21. Whether or not you like this particular custom, Barris was a genius.

22. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

The cool thing about the depth of knowledge on the HAMB is asking a simple question sends everyone down the rabbit hole. For instance.... "which Barris was the genius?". Talk amongst yourselves while I get some coffee......

Special Ed and Nova Thug like this.
  23. Nova Thug

Nova Thug
    from SG Vizzle

I just couldn’t.. lol

Special Ed likes this.
  24. Last time I talked amongst myself, they tried to put me in a home....:(

loudbang, Thor1 and hotrodjack33 like this.
  25. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

Beautiful custom is the thought that came to mind when I bought the magazine it first appeared in.
    That thought remains today.
    It was inspirational to me and my model car club buds.

54delray likes this.
  26. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

When it comes to the hands on experience, Sam was a genius. By the same token, George was a genius when it came to the promotional side of the business. Too, he was very tuned in to the business side.

27. goldmountain

goldmountain

Customs died out sometime in the sixties because the new car scene changed. During the Aztec's heyday, you could buy all those neato custom car parts from the car dealerships - new. Hard to imagine going to the parts counter and ask for '58 Lincoln headlight doors, '53 Stude gravel pans, and Packard tailights. Back then, you could and amazing things happened. Custom car guys deserve some respect for what it takes to resurrect these things.

54delray, Thor1 and stanlow69 like this.
  28. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Last edited: Dec 31, 2019
  29. Stogy,,,,that is a beautiful pic there,,,,the color looks great in the lights.

Tommy

30. Hombre

Hombre

Damn, What a story. I sure as hell hope it has found that forever home. After turning down a million dollars for it, I am sure it has. Very cool story for a very cool car!! Thanks Stogy

54delray, Stogy and 41 GMC K-18 like this.