Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Barris " AZTEC @ MECUM AUCTIONS.

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by mikhett, Dec 29, 2019.

1. egads

egads

I think that civility should apply to ALL threads !!!

Last edited: Dec 31, 2019
  2. Bob Hirohata made the taillights.

3. Brian Penrod

Brian Penrod

FACT!

Trophyman, hotrodjack33 and 2OLD2FAST like this.
  4. I'm not a huge fan of customs, but I'll keep my opinions to myself. At age 78, I've learned the nobody really gives a rip about my opinion of anything.

5. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sure we do and you just did...:D

lothiandon1940, chryslerfan55 and K13 like this.
  6. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Very interesting. I wonder if he was paying down his bill for the work done on his Merc ?

7. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just an Artist doing their craft...

Last edited: Dec 30, 2019
  8. Was Hirohata the one that did the Hirohata Merc ?
    I am not sure on the spelling either ?
    When I was teenager,,,I thought I saw it spelled Hirohota Merc ?
    But that was over 40 years ago,,,so I could be wrong .

Tommy

chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  9. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes an infamous Custom Merc With the Owner meeting a tragic demise...

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/bob-hirohata-interview-1977.573715/

DIYGUY and chryslerfan55 like this.
  10. Also,,,I think the Aztec is really beautiful,,,,look at the color scheme and the workmanship.
    Those are some beautiful lines,,,,and the interior,,,what I could see was awesome.
    I wish I could see more to be honest.

I am not a big custom guy,,,but I can appreciate the work and imagination that goes into one.
    They are basically a mechanical canvas that an artist would use to create their masterpiece.
    The only drawback I could see was the quarter panels lines,,,,not my favorite.
    But,,,then again,,,I am not a good judge of customs,,,things I would overlook,,custom guys see it a mile away.

One thing about customs,,,,they are usually really nice,,,very smooth and clean.
    Then the hot rods are usually rough around the edges,,,more carefree and wind in your hair.

I respect them all.

Tommy

11. 'Mo

'Mo

12. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Tommy here's a well written article on it including pics...

https://heacockclassic.com/articles/55-chevy-aztec-creating-the-shape-of-customs-to-come/

Theres several threads at the Hamb but most are suffering the Pic BS and some are locked for ignorance so enjoy this link above....

13. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

14. Amazing pics of the build,,,can you imagine the man hours it took to do all those changes.
    Beautiful work was done back then.

Tommy

54delray and Stogy like this.
  15. Bob also did the taillights and interior dash knobs for the Jack Stewart Ford as well as the interior knobs for his own car.

Sent from my SM-G950W using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

16. chryslerfan55 likes this.
  17. Dan" Nope, he's not a fan of customs. Check his profile. That '34 he has was one bad ass cus
    tom in the 60's. He's done the kind of stuff to it he would do to the Aztec and now you don't see the "Evergreen Eyefull" as described by hotrod magazine.

18. I have backed off tremendoulsy from the Hamb due to this kind of back and forth BS. You are correct, those who don't care for the topic of the post should just keep on strolling. The Aztec was a new build when I was @ 13 years old. The style was typical of the era. I love the car and I'm a 33-34 guy!

19. A whole lot to take in, when considering all of the modifications that were done..Kool.
    I'm wondering when the youth of today see some of these customs, if they even realize it's a custom, or just another factory built car from another era, that they've never seen before or can relate to.
    It'll be interesting to see if it reaches their estimate.

20. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I’m totally fine with opinions... they just need to be expressed the right way. And I also think it’s understandable that some folks appreciate early customs more than late and vice versa...

Takes all kinds. Ya know?

Ohh. And one of the reasons I love mark so much is because of his passion for customs. If he was over stepping, he’d be deleting opinions. He is not... he’s just being really passionate about what he likes. No one has to agree with him.

again, all kinds.

I’m on vacation in NYC right now, so please excuse the late reply.

21. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

If Mark was being paid to work his ass off, I would agree... But he donates his time... and is a regular car guy before he is a moderator of this place - ya know? So, you gotta approach it that way.

I'm selfishly hoping this isn't a big deal as I'm on vacation with the family and don't want to worry about it... But is it really? I get where you are coming from for sure, but I also get where Mark is coming from as well. There are two sides to it and in a lot of ways I think both sides are right. I don't feel like it's my place to take a side? But I actually do have to be neutral in such a thing.

Sorry... been up since 3am and just got back from Rockafeller Center with four kids and my mom... exhausted and not thinking well...

22. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

I just don't understand everyone getting butthurt about an OPINION. That's ALL it is, so the expectation that everyone should have the same likes or remain silent is just asinine. I guess it's a reflection of what's wrong today in general. NOBODY'S opinion here is the end all of customs (or anything else for that matter). Ryan, Moriarty, me, whoever are not the ONLY right opinions. Don't like that someone else doesn't like quad headlights of frenched taillights? So what....... What makes YOU the authority that determines what opinions others can have? In one breath people say to build what makes you happy, but the next breath is don't express a contrary opinion. SO sick of the narrow-mindedness today.......

23. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I even sent Mark a pm and was all like, "Dude... you need to chill..."

Now, I don't know if that was fair... I mean, he's allowed an opinion too right?

Fuck. I dunno... I'm too tired.

Have an opinion folks. Just be cool with it and don't bag on others to express your own. I'm going to bed.

24. frank spittle

frank spittle

When any custom is pictured here there is never a unanimous opinion. The more work that was involved in the build the more opinions. A good example is the Golden Sahara restoration this year. I believe the Dave Stuckey built Kandy Kart '58 Impala I bought from original owner Pat Mulligan in 1974 and sold a couple years later was one of the best looking ever. Many thought differently. I couldn't understand someone not liking it but that's life.

Desoto291Hemi, Stogy and Ryan like this.
  25. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

26. People get upset because it gets old seeing the same guys come onto threads about customs and say the same stupid shit over and over again and never contribute anything but negative comments. I think racing is a waste of time but I don't make it a point to go onto every thread about racing and post negative shit. The number of knowledgable custom guys that no longer post here because they were sick of the same negative garbage on every thread about customs is shocking. The same way this site gets a negative connotation from guys that don't get the traditional aspect of it and feel run off is quickly becoming an opinion held by many traditional custom guys and it shows in the continuing drop in membership and content on the custom side of things which was a tiny percentage to start with.

Sent from my SM-G950W using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

27. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

If that's the case the mods should get their balls back and boot people. I'm not from the "traditional" school but can appreciate some of it and dislike some as well. I can see it if someone is the black cloud of doom, but if it's a matter of everyone having to be a cheerleader to be here, boot me first. If there are some that can't tolerate opposing opinions and move on, that's on them. I'm not here to give participation trophies to anyone that can stick 2 panels together. Thicker skin people.......

28. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I have loved customs since I was little kid. The more traditional the better. Lately, the trend is to make them as low as possible, a fad I have trouble with today. But none the less, this is an iconic car that has survived threw all the fads of yesterday and today. A true survivor. A big thank you to Barry and all it`s caretakers over the years. I would love to see it in the future. Like It Or Not, it is what the HAMB is all about. Preserving the history of Hot Rodding and Customs the way it was done back then. People often forget that.

29. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

NO ONE said that people can't have opinions that are different than theirs. The world would be a pretty boring place if we all liked all of the same things. The problem is how those opinions are expressed.

I'm a hot rod guy and not really a custom guy. Although, that being said, there are some customs that I find absolutely beautiful. See what I did there? - I shared my opinion that I think hot rods are cooler that customs and I didn't have to be an asshole about it. The problem is a lot of guys like to share their opinion but for some reason they can't do that without being a total dick. That's the problem.

If you don't like something...fine! Move along to something that you have more interest in. If you do want to add comment(s) that's fine too. But be civil about it.

Now...back to our regularly scheduled programming...

Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
    Barn Hunter, blowby, Chicster and 9 others like this.
  30. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

AMT needs to make a model of the Aztec.