Register now to get rid of these ads!

Barn find of a lifetime

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by VA HAMB, Mar 24, 2007.

1. VA HAMB

VA HAMB

Here's the newest member of my family, and this time my wife is not smiling....BUT I AM!
    My brother in-law calls me at work Thusday morning and tells me about this drag truck that he's found. He's so excited he can hardly speak. Knowing that my sister would kill him if he brought one more thing home that even resembled a car that wouldn't move under it's own power, he calls me.
    Knowing that my wife would kill me if brought one more thing home that res... OK just one more thing. I BOUGHT IT.
    Its a B Altered from the early sixties and comes complete with a fuel injected, full roller buick nailhead. I mean this package has everything to put this baby back just the way it was in 63.
    I think that im going to completely restore this one. What do you think I should do with it? ( other that sell it )

Attached Files:

chryslerfan55, SPEC and kidcampbell71 like this.
  2. publicenemy1925

publicenemy1925
    from OKC, OK

Don't paint it dude! Bitchin find.

3. Love the rear tires!

4. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

yeah, that one is a no brainer. rebuild the mechanicals only and drive it. A customer of mine just bought a 32 Ford in Tennessee that's an old drag car with an Algon injected olds rocket for $1500. I guess they are still out there.

chryslerfan55 and kidcampbell71 like this.

5. Lazy White Boy

Lazy White Boy

Cool, great score. I vote for restore.

6. Welp, I know what I'd do widdit..

Attached Files:

chryslerfan55 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  7. DeucePhaeton

DeucePhaeton

Race trim as see back then. yahoo!

8. speedtool

speedtool
    BANNED

Great find!
    It deserves to come back to life - whether you do it, or not.

9. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Wow! About a year or so ago, The Rodder's Journal did a feature on the history of drag racing and hotrodding in the Waynesboro area. I wonder if this is one of those?

My brother-in-law, Bob Cook, grew up there and drag-raced a then brand new 65 Chevelle SS. It came with a 327, which he blew up and replaced with a 396.

That's an awesome piece of history you have there. Congrats on the find and you owe your bil big time!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  10. Roothawg

Roothawg

That is too cool....

11. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

It looks like the name Jim Morris on the roof. There's still a Jim Morris in the Waynesboro phone book. See if you can contact him and find out some history.

12. VA HAMB

VA HAMB

Yea, Jim is a life long freind of my parents who have lived in Waynesboro their whole lives. I now live in Stanley. Jim has vintage photos coming as soon as he can find them. He and his brother raced at Louisa Drag Way and Eastside in Waynesboro for years.
    My Borother in law knows someone else who also has photos of the truck. Ill probably call Jim myself soon to get exact particulars on the car.

13. I'm jealous!! That is so cool! Let's see some more pics. Seems like alot of cool stuff surfacing lately.

14. Squablow

Squablow

I think you're going to have a hard time convincing people that the paint on it is original. I've never seen the drilled visor on anything that was built in the 60's or earlier.

I agree as far as the car should be restored to the way it was set up when it last raced, but without undoing any of the original stuff that still remains, including the paint.

15. Roothawg

Roothawg

The drilled visors originated on the track.

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  16. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

weres the motor pics and the other 50 pics???i wanna se more!!!more i tells ya!:cool: :)

17. Cool! It would be cool to find some old photos of it and bring it back to the same era.

18. What to do with it? Well......I have a birthday coming up in August :D and my wife would'nt mind - as I long as I hid it somewhere on the property & she :mad: did'nt find it!

19. Wash it....put the mechanical stuff back together...and light it up!!!

20. If it has a significant racing history,restoring it to its former glory,would get my vote.:D

21. NoFriends310

NoFriends310

daym, thats a find if I ever saw one. Put it back as is, would be nice to find out the history behind it too.

22. Dat Dirty Rat

Dat Dirty Rat

Now Thats Too F@cking Kool!!...

23. UPSrodder

UPSrodder

I agree, Cool find, don't touch the paint, restore the mechanicals, research the history, and "Smokem when ya gottem", Thrash hard, could be ready for Mokan!!!!! nice find and good luck.

24. yep, mechanical restoration and take it to the track, don't turn it into some used to be drag car turned streetrod and drive it....but at this time in its life, it is yours to do as you please.

25. i found out about why they drilled visors back in the day by accident.
    the first time i took my model a to the track it only went 12.90s and bent my (welded on) visor.
    the next day i drove the car over to my buddy's house(who raced gassers for mr. gasket) and he says "hey, you notice anything wrong with your car?"
    no, why" i answered.
    "look at your visor,its bent"!
    "i guess now you know why we all drilled them back in the ol' days, dont ya"?

i broke out the hole saw that night.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  26. Green49Ford

Green49Ford

I think you should sell it to me.... Nice find!

27. ratso575

ratso575

dude ! WOW !
    that is an awesome find , leave it like it is , put some power under the hood ( NOT , a small chevy :p ) and see if the little truck can put a smile on your face :D
    ratso

Attached Files:

28. .....I hope we never quit hearing stories like this!! Awesome find, good luck with it. More history please.

29. VA HAMB

VA HAMB

Here's a couple more pics. Haven't had time to take more. The engine is disassembled. Accually it came with two nailheads. The main engine if full roller with what I was told to be 13:1 domed pistons. By the looks of em I would have to agree. The injection looks brand new .the heads are ported BIG TIME. It also came with a LaSalle gear box, aluminum flywheel , magneto and more.
    I know what you guys are saying about getting it running and drive it. But since it is a local guy that my family knows, I definately am leaning towards restoration and still driving the hell out of it. Restored or not it WILL get run again!
    My brother in Law who found it remembers hanging out in Jims shop in the early sixties and watching him work on this very truck. I feel pretty certain that the paint and the holey visor are original.
    As soon as I talk with Mr. Morris myself I will ask ALOT of questions and let you guys know what I find out.
    I know that the car was campaigned for about ten years.
    Todd.

Attached Files:

SPEC, kidcampbell71 and Nailhead A-V8 like this.
  30. Danimal

Danimal
    1. A-D Truckers

That thing is SO bad ass. Remember, an erection lasting more than 4 hours is not natural and you should see a doctor!!