Register now to get rid of these ads!

Barn Find 59A short block need some help identifying

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kasultana, Nov 20, 2012.

1. kasultana

kasultana

All,

I've found a 59A short block recently. It looks to have never been fired up before. There are domed pistons marked .060, all the mains and rear covers are safety wired, and the valves are marked Ford F. I'll attach pictures but wondering if Ford sold modified blocks to dealers as a factory performance item. The paint, all parts seems to be original and all the assy. lube is in the motor. I was able to buy a set of NOS Canadian "cheater" heads as well. They were in the box. I'm asking because in other 8BA motors I've seen. There have not been these items. I'm going to use the motor in a traditional lakes car.

Attached Files:

2. flatjack

flatjack

Looks like a typical 59A engine. Obviously been rebuilt at one time.

3. kasultana

kasultana

OK thanks for the help. I don't see any machining work on cylinders, intake manifold or relieving on the valves so might have been bored over .060 and put back together.

4. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Looks normal...seems to have 1939-41 rods, interchangeable, without digging into the books I think the valves are the normal Ford replacements with the exhaust valve designation...new engines had different alloy and marking intake and exhaust valves, replacement valves were sold by Ford only in the exhaust flavor to prevent the possibility of misapplication. Looks like you need some light dusting, a quick check to make sure valves did not stick in storage, and startitup.
    Don't think those are cheater heads...from what is shown they are the actual Ford Canada ones, not Weiands. Slightly higher compression than iron stockers to make up for the power losses to aluminum.

5. kasultana

kasultana

Thanks for the update. Pictures were before we oiled everything up and got it cleaned. Engine turns over great and is still nice and tight. The heads are what you say. Canada cast aluminum heads. They came out of of the box as shipped. The story from the guy who had them was he'd file off made in Canada put iron filings in the paint he used so magnets would stick to them. He called them cheaters. Either way a fun story. I'm finding rest of the parts now so I can get it fired up. Love to see something that has been in storage for ~60 years and looks this new in a car finally. Appreciate the help.