Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Barn find 57 vette.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by racer-x, Jul 24, 2021.

1. @racer-x you inspired me to stretch my soft top. We haven’t had a lot of warm weather yet but it is sunny and my top is black!
    4E756BF1-EC7A-4907-AEAE-74F1A335B841.jpeg

Moondog13, Stogy, Squablow and 6 others like this.
  2. Well hell it’s latched already. I’m going to leave it in the sun the rest if the day tho. @racer-x mine is only 27 years old so i guess i got lucky:D
    B0219ECA-5EEB-44EC-ADBA-DBD73C17EE52.jpeg

Last edited: May 22, 2022
    WC145, Moondog13, Stogy and 12 others like this.
  3. Let us know how it goes.

4. 20220530_121447.jpg Parts call in the pits. Parts call in the pits. Looking for one block that holds the wire for the rear top latch. Its the passenger side if there is a difference. Its held on by two screws. I cant get the one i have off to make another. I just found out i was missing it. I was going to attempt to fasten down the soft topwhen i found i needed one. I called zips and its not reproduced that they are aware of.

Stogy and Thor1 like this.
  5. Not wanting to throw this thread off topic but I am wondering if you ever got back to investigate the alleged 421 powered car?

Stogy likes this.
  6. Yes i did. The farm was sold. They have until the end of july to be out. The manure pile was sold last week. This week the cows go to the butcher. Plans are being made to hook the tractor to the car and drag it out. The car is a stick on the column. I will post something when we get it out.

borntoloze, Stogy, SS327 and 8 others like this.
  7. I left the top up until yesterday, i’ll try to latch it again later this week. I hope it didn’t shrink up again

WC145 and Stogy like this.
  8. I need help with the grounds on the car. I ordered the kit but there is no mention on where they go. Pics would be great. Thanks.

Stogy likes this.
  9. My car has an aftermarket non stock harness, so i don’t know where stock grounds would be. You just need to make sure everything is grounded to the frame or motor itself. The underdash metal brace (when you make sure it is grounded) makes an easy place to tie everything to.

Stogy, Thor1 and 427 sleeper like this.
  10. noboD

noboD

The assembly manual shows where most go.

Stogy and racer-x like this.
  11. I will have to get a copy.

Stogy and squirrel like this.
  12. the vette will be making its first public appearence on july 4th at the Holtz Motors show in Greenfield wi. they have a special parking area for vettes. it will be interesting to see how its received by the vette crowd.

WC145, Stogy, 427 sleeper and 7 others like this.
  13. Likely to be one of the cooler cars there..

WC145, redlineracer42, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  14. Budget36

Budget36

You know there will be “experts” there.
    I went to one “all Corvette” car show , my wife’s friend had (to her) a fully restored ‘68 roadster with a 427 and 4 speed.
    Damn, she just parked it to be “with the crowd”. It was picked apart like buzzards on roadkill.

15. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It would be worth it to have one of these small digital, voice activated recorders, taped to a paper cup, to give it shade, and just let it run, to capture all of the so called " Expert Buzzards " as they voice their opinions.

recorder.JPG

16. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

I just spoke to Randy at Yesterdays Corvette in Aurora/Denver, he has a used set of two for $60.00. He can also get them new for about twice the price. Yesterday's Corvette 719-238-0628
    Hope this helps

WC145, Algoma56, David Gersic and 7 others like this.
  17. You can stand at the car next to yours and hear it live. I get a kick from what comes out of some people's mouth. Once in a while there's somebody that knows something and can be interesting.

41 GMC K-18, Stogy, Thor1 and 2 others like this.
  18. The vettes at this show park in a special area front and center by themselves. I most likely will park the car with the common folk. Trust me i have a very sharp tongue when it comes to the so called experts.

19. When i had my 60 and now with my 57 i tend to avoid the “vette people”, some are too wrapped up in perfection and matching number lug nuts and original air in the tires. I’ve always been more at home with the hot rod crowd.

WC145, Moriarity, LowKat and 11 others like this.
  20. Yep, one thing I have learned over the years even growing up with a dad that took me to Bloomington every year as a kid in the back of his different vettes, I don't fit in with vette crowds very well. I am starting to see this again as my 17 year old son is driving one daily. He drives his no matter the weather and it doesn't even have door panels on it right now because we can't seem to keep everything working. Anyway, I also fit in with the hot rod crowd much better. :D

indyjps, Texas57, Torkwrench and 6 others like this.
  21. I try to avoid most "Vette" people like the plague, have had very few positive interactions with them in the last 4 1/2 decades. Life is too short to be wound that tight.

22. I've had 5 Corvettes..never considered myself (or wanted to be) part of that Corvette cliche.
    Really like your car @racer-x

23. Cosmo49

Cosmo49

Disclaimer: I love your car just the way YOU have done it.

LET'S HELP YOU PREPARE FOR THE EVENT
    That year only came in automatic transmission.
    My uncle had one just like it.
    When are you going to paint it?

24. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

After I got out Army I worked for a while at a local Mobil station. There was one customer who was a member of the local Vette club who used to come in to have tires mounted for his Vette. At the time all we had was a Coates 10/10 tire machine.He was a real PITA. Insisted that you place shop rags to protect the back side of the rims. We also did alignments. He constantly came in with new specs for the alignment guy to use. Of course what he didn't know is that the all of the numbers he provided were recorded. After 5 adjustments he was finally satisfied. Little did he realize that he ended up with what he initially started with. What a douche.

WC145, das858, Torkwrench and 6 others like this.
  25. MCjim

MCjim
    from soCal

I have a '62 Corvette that fails most Corvette restorers standards, and have heard my share of "expert" comments; that said...some of the "period correct" hot rod crowd can be just as annoying and pompous.

WC145, vtx1800, Moondog13 and 12 others like this.
  26. I have had 8 Vettes and never hung with the Vette crowd,
    did my own thing

scotty t, Thor1 and guthriesmith like this.
  27. cabong

cabong

This was a "porch" find when I first came across this '62. It was pearl white with candy ribbon stripes. After I managed to buy the bugger and get it home, I found out that it was a black on red 360 FI car. I found a date correct 327, correct FI unit, and the rest is history. I drove the critter as my daily driver for 10 years before selling. 62 corvette.jpg

WC145, Moondog13, Hamtown Al and 9 others like this.
  28. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Wow!, I'm very late to this thread. Just awesome. :cool:

scotty t, 41 GMC K-18 and racer-x like this.
  29. my usual comment to the experts about how this is wrong and thats wrong goes as this. when your check clears the bank you can do anything you want to it. when guys ask about how much i have in it i tell them its priceless. i can go on and on. maybe i will throw a satin vette jacket under the car to catch the oil. the coupe is coming to the show also. im driving the coupe the old farmer is driving the vette. we might do a nitro fire up.

70L34, WC145, Torkwrench and 10 others like this.
  30. Add to that, if it's not the exact original part, I guess it's because it was, and still gets driven, and sometimes you have to change parts to maintain and drive it. Can't all keep them locked in the garage looking pretty! Goes for any of the over the top restoration types.