Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Bare steel primer.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ANDEREGG TRIBUTE, May 10, 2016.

1. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

What are you guys out there using for priming frames and suspension parts prior to painting that you don't have to mortgage the casa for? TIA

2. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

I will be etch primering them beforehand if in bare metal

3. Ask your local jobber about PPG CRE line of direct to metal epoxy primer. It's a high build, tintable, sand able epoxy that's awesome...it's from their industrial line and is amazing for the cost

michael knight likes this.
  4. 51box

51box
    from MA

I just bought a gallon of epoxy sealer, gallon of 2k high build and a gallon of black ful-thane single stage for $520. That includes all reducers and hardener. Nason brand, stuff is awesome.

5. Transtar epoxy primer.

6. indyjps

indyjps

loveoftiki, read thru PPG's site on this paint, they don't have a topcoat. What have you used for topcoat with this primer?

7. kma4444

kma4444

Nothing better than Southern Polyurethane Inc's epoxies. I use them for chassis and suspension with no topcoats. Great chemical resistance, sands well. Comes in Black, White, or oddly enough grey. I mix up different greys for different looks on suspension bits etc. It's a great product.

8. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

New parts? Old parts? How were they stripped to bare metal? Surface or rust perforation? It all matters.

9. I use NAPA's etching primer. HRP

10. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Like PPG industrial lines, their production auto version is called "Shop-Line". 377 is black, 371 is white (I might have that backward), a "package" with primer and catalyst is under $150, DPLF is close to $300 now. Shop-Line can be used as a sealer with light reduction, my rep told me PPG no longer recommends DPLF as a sealer. Shop-Line sands easy too, gives up to 72hrs for recoat without sanding but I never go longer than 24-36 hrs just because. Reliable and priced right. I'm a fan...

11. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

Thank you guys very much. This was very informative. Gone are the days of a 20 buck gallon of laquer primer and a 5 buck gallon of lacquer thinner I guess....yes its been that long. I have a whole mixture of steel, some old, some new, some primed, some currently greasy (rear diff). I will hit up the local PPG guys and Napa. Thanks again.

need louvers ? likes this.
  12. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

Gonna try this paint. PPG product. Claim is that its fine for what I'm doing with it over bare metal ect. No primer needed. Going to make sure everything is really clean, and scuffed. Worth a shot. I got Gloss black, but paint guy said it's tintable and there is a flattening agent if a person wants that.

[​IMG]. Thanks for everyone's input. Hope this works out, if it does I will spray the floor and inside the body as well.

13. i use epoxy primer like i use under pants. i put it on no matter what goes on after. can't get my head around not priming something before painting it, or priming without painting it.
    let us know how "going commando" works out.

ABONES likes this.
  14. NAT WILLIAMS

NAT WILLIAMS

I have used a little of everything and the best is the old PPG DP 40 with the lead. Unfortunately you can't get it. I do a lot of experiments, etching primers don't seal very well. Only a high quality epoxy proves to be the best. Why do all of the work and have it fail. Like a house you need a good foundation.

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  15. Nason Chassis Black. Brush (or spray) it on bare steel. Sixty bucks per gallon, works great. Very traditional look. :)

16. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

Sprays amazing, dries crazy quick! I really like this stuff. Reminds me of painting with old Centari. If it sticks and holds up, I will be a happy camper.

[​IMG]

17. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

The Black Enamel I bought has held up to assembly very well so far....not a single chip...finger prints just wiping off. So far so good...knock on wood...
    [​IMG]